How many words is too much?

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (16 posts)
  1. tsmog profile image85
    tsmogposted 6 months ago

Is 3,500 words for an article too many? According to an online calculator that is a fifteen minute read. All the information is needed and important. I don't see how it can be broken into two articles or else it would lose context.

Thoughts?

1. chef-de-jour profile image95
      chef-de-jourposted 6 months agoin reply to this

When it comes to length of an article I try to keep to a minimum word count of 1200 or so, but my chosen subject helps as a natural guide.

So for example, when I analyse a short poem for educational purposes the average word count comes out at around 1500, for medium-length 2000-3000 words will do and for longer poems 3500-5000 words or more. I have one exceptional article that's around 9000 words.

I update once a year, sometimes twice, keep my eye on competitors and hope Google will be a kind crawler.

1. tsmog profile image85
        tsmogposted 6 months agoin reply to this

Thanks! You gave me an idea just now. I will go to articles on the same topic copy/paste into an online word counter and see there word count.

2. tsmog profile image85

Just checked about. My article is about Medicare and medical groups and more. The context is very important as it is in narration format.

I discovered three articles on the topic with over 3,000 words. Most were for insurance companies using links to send the reader to another part of their site for specific information. Those landing pages had articles that were from 1,200 words to 1,600.

I think I will go for it and create the article then publish it. What do I have to lose, right?

2. Healthy Harmony profile image59
      Healthy Harmonyposted 6 months agoin reply to this

A 3,500-word article can be quite substantial, but if all the information is necessary and maintains the context, it's not too long. It's important to prioritize the content's quality and relevance over length. Readers who are interested in the topic will appreciate the comprehensive information. Just make sure it's well-structured with headings, subheadings, and perhaps some visuals to break up the text and make it reader-friendly. As long as it engages and informs your audience, the word count is secondary.

1. tsmog profile image85

I am in agreement with what you shared and your advice is well received. Thanks!

The challenge is it is an adventure story in real life. There is flow with context. If broken up into two articles that would be lost.

It shares information in an abbreviated form about what I had to learn with links going to the detailed landing page. I gave enough info so that someone who follows the trail could act on it. 

Anyway, I'm publishing it soon. What do I have to lose? It was fun, fun, fun!! And, I am an expert to an extent in the two topics I shared about because of composing the article. A bonus as I see it.

1. Miebakagh57 profile image69
          Miebakagh57posted 6 months agoin reply to this

Good luck to you.

2. Venkatachari M profile image83
    Venkatachari Mposted 6 months ago

As per my belief, 2000 words is the limit for a reader-friendly article. More than that becomes a bit laborious to the reader.

1. tsmog profile image85

I agree with you. I do have at the beginning of the article a guide for skimming using the subheadings. Most of the subheadings are phases like Phase One, Phase Two, etc. along with the short bit of info. So, it would be easy to skim. Oh yeah, before that guide I actually tell them it is about a fifteen-minute read and they can use the guide to skim.

3. Miebakagh57 profile image69
    Miebakagh57posted 6 months ago

This is a topic that is becoming frequently discussed in the forums.                                        Long ago, 500 words is a minimum set by search giant Google, for content writers. This was later increase to 1000 words. The trend is still on the increase.                                 Nowadays, no one knows what's the maximum.                                  3500 words can do well as a 2000 word content. It all depends on the angle on which the topic is being treated.

1. tsmog profile image85

Thanks! Yeah, one never knows, do they? Usually, my articles are no longer than 1,500 words.

2. Will Phoenix profile image66
      Will Phoenixposted 6 months agoin reply to this

Heck, I remember when the minimum to get on Google was around 300 lol  With attention spans the way they are these days, I don't understand the set minimums anymore lol

I got online past mid-2012. That was when I noted the minimum being 500 words.

1. Will Phoenix profile image66
          Will Phoenixposted 6 months agoin reply to this

Yeah, come to think of it, by the time we hit 2012 I was writing for sites that were paying me for assignments at least that long.  I also remember years earlier being contracted for "over 200 words per article" and then that same year being told to push it to 300 to make Google News.  I feel so old lol

You're welcome.

4. Venkatachari M profile image83
    Venkatachari Mposted 6 months ago

Yes, if it is an educational, scientific, or a professional topic there is no limit. You can break them by suitable titles along with a list of the contents for a easier browsing experience.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)