Is this normal?

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (22 posts)
  1. jauthor profile image93
    jauthorposted 6 months ago

Hi,

I've been publishing articles here for a year now. I understand that it takes a long time to get paid but something has been bothering me. Basically, it's the fact that the most I've made in a month is $1, even though all of my articles have been featured on the "niche sites". For this to happen, the article has to be well-written, right? Also, my Hub Score is consistently high. I'm proud of myself, don't get me wrong.

It's not the fact I haven't hit $50 yet but the fact I've only hit $1. That seems terrible to me! Don't get me wrong—I enjoy writing articles. But it's a bit of a bummer that that's the highest I've achieved. I kind of assumed it would slowly increase the more articles I posted.

1. Gregory DeVictor profile image96
      Gregory DeVictorposted 6 months agoin reply to this

First, are you sure that you have not somehow "disabled" adverts from appearing on your articles? I suggest that you check each of your articles to make sure that all of them "enable" advertising.

To do this, go to a specific article and click on EDIT. Then, scroll down to "Display Options." There is a drop-down bar on "Display Options" where you can turn advertising on or off. Just make sure that you have "enabled" adverts for each article.

You have one article, probably your most recent one, that is still on HubPages.com. Ads will not show there by default. I also checked four of your articles that are on Discover. Ads are showing "aplenty" there.

Remember, if the advertising is disabled on even one of your highest-traffic articles, it could potentially make a marked difference in your daily, weekly, and monthly earnings.

You also need to remember that it can take a considerable amount of time, sometimes a couple of years or even longer, to begin reaching the $50 payout threshold every month. (Since the CPMs here have been quite low for quite a number of months, it could take even more time than ever to reach the venerable $50 amount.)

In addition, make sure that you are sharing each of your articles on Facebook, X, Pinterest, etc. Over time, you can receive significant amounts of traffic from these sites. Occasionally, you might even receive a 24-48 hour "surge" in traffic from one of them.

Social media traffic is fine, but your most reliable source of page views will be "organic traffic" from Google, Bing, etc. Yes, Bing can be a great source of traffic too. I receive thousands of page views every week from Bing alone.

Just keep writing high-quality articles that can be moved to one of the niche sites. It appears that you are now building a "brand" in your portfolio of articles. I've done the very same here too, and so have other HP writers. So keep on writing and never get discouraged.

Good luck to you.

1. Kenna McHugh profile image91
        Kenna McHughposted 6 months agoin reply to this

Nice advice, Greg!

1. Gregory DeVictor profile image96
          Gregory DeVictorposted 6 months agoin reply to this

Thanks, Kenna!

2. WriterJanis profile image91
      WriterJanisposted 6 months agoin reply to this

As well as your articles are written and although you are featured on niche sites,( in your case Levelskip, ) it doesn't mean that your articles are ranking high on Google. Perhaps there are too many other articles that rank higher than yours on the same subject or perhaps your titles are too similar to other articles that rank higher.

I have articles that initially did well on niche sites, that now get 0-2 views a day. The competition on Google is fierce.

3. theraggededge profile image96
      theraggededgeposted 6 months agoin reply to this

What are your view numbers like?

That's the key; you won't earn much unless your traffic is sufficient. You need around a thousand per day to earn roughly $5.

4. Jan Stepan profile image92
      Jan Stepanposted 6 months agoin reply to this

You've been here for only 13 months. To earn more than 1$ per month, you need to publish more articles and try to edit the articles you have written to make them appear higher in search engines (if they're not picking up any traffic at all).

Give it time and continue with what you're doing. It's tough to earn here, and it's significantly harder to rank well on Google and other search engines than it once was. So have that in mind, and don't expect any miracles.

5. Khanmaria12 profile image43
      Khanmaria12posted 6 months agoin reply to this

Congratulations on reaching $1. I am still waiting,Lol

1. WriterJanis profile image91
        WriterJanisposted 6 months agoin reply to this

Miss khan,
        I checked out a few of your articles and you have some good information, (and tasty dessert ideas!) However, you're not following the proper guidelines to write a successful hub that will get you on the niche sites with the exception of Letterpile which doesn't follow the same guidelines. Please check out the learning center. I think it would be a great help to you and a way you can start earning more money.

1. Khanmaria12 profile image43

Thanks, I am aware of this fact too. Need to do hard work. However I recently edited and changed the titles too. Have noticed some traffic from Google now,hope it make difference

1. PaulGoodman67 profile image94
            PaulGoodman67posted 6 months agoin reply to this

The brutal truth is that you won't earn much on here with lots of articles in Discover and a few in Letterpile (which is for things like poems, fiction, and blog-style opinion pieces and not generally good for earning).

You need to get as much as you can into the subject niches. No matter how much material you have in Discover and Letterpile, you're unlikely to ever earn much.

1. Khanmaria12 profile image43

Yes, you are right. I got it

6. SerenityHalo profile image94
      SerenityHaloposted 6 months agoin reply to this

I love Final Fantasy! Before you write your next article, ask yourself ballpark-wise how many people you think are searching for that exact thing right now. Articles do better when they answer a popular question but in a unique way. You may have great content but will it connect with an audience--how big of an audience?

Things that everyone has to deal with make for great hubs. I've written many things that I thought were awesome, but they didn't really have a large group looking for them. 

Also, people are right that things are harder on here right now. HP has had some serious traffic issues for the past couple of years. In fact, this has been one of the worst years on record for me.

2. PaulGoodman67 profile image94
    PaulGoodman67posted 6 months ago

Hub Score doesn't matter. It's views that count if you're after earnings.

You need to get as many of your articles as possible into Level Skip or other niches, hubpages.com and Discover won't help you much.

The main way to get lots of earnings is to get your articles to rank highly with Google.

There's no guarantee that you'll earn a lot here. It's challenging.

3. janshares profile image93
    jansharesposted 6 months ago

It's a difficult time to earn here, even if you're doing everything right. For context, when things were way better 10 years ago, it took me a month to make 48 cents and nine months to reach payout with 20 something articles. Patience and good luck!

4. EricDockett profile image96
    EricDockettposted 6 months ago

Are you doing keyword research before you write your articles? Have you taken the time to learn how to optimize your content for search? Are you doing everything you can to answer your reader's search query so that when they land on your page they are satisfied?

With the quick look I took at a couple of your articles, it seems you could be doing a better job with all of those things.

Many new writers don't like to hear this, but just writing isn't enough. Gaming is a popular niche, but it is also very competitive. To give yourself the best shot at success you need to put in the time and learn this stuff.

5. PaulGoodman67 profile image94
    PaulGoodman67posted 6 months ago

Yes, as Eric says above, gaming is a popular but competitive field.

The HP Help section details all the things you need to consider, including the technical stuff regarding SEO etc. Most writers ignore this stuff so you have a competitive advantage if you make your articles search engine friendly.

There are other things you could do to demonstrate gaming expertise too. For instance, your two sentence About Section is way too brief and general. The About Sections is an opportunity to tell people why they should value and trust your gaming advice.

It's the internet, so you're competing with ever other writer on the topic in the world. Pretty much everything related to your writing has to be as perfect as possible.

6. jauthor profile image93
    jauthorposted 6 months ago

Thanks for the responses.

I checked to see if ads were disabled on a few of my articles (I didn't even know you could do that!) and they weren't. I'll have to check more later.

I created a Pinterest account just for this site but I don't have any followers yet. I've never been a fan of Twitter so I've never bothered with it. Do you think it's vital that I have an account? I get okay views from Facebook.

As for my views: I definitely don't get 1000 a day! In fact, 1000 is the highest I've gotten for a single article. Overall, I have 7000 views. Two of my articles were randomly popular for a time and I still don't know why. I have another article that consistently gets views unlike those.

I did edit a few of my articles a while back. I'll continue to do it in the future.

I've done some research on SEO and my most recent article is based on what I found so hopefully that will do well. I've heard that it's better to write articles that answer questions? And I'll make sure to edit my About Section, too.

Thanks for the help.

If earnings are important to you then the aim for every article should be to get it into the top 5 for Google searches, the higher the ranking the better.

That may sound like a high bar but that's what's needed. Most writers on here earn cents rather than dollars.

It's tough at the moment, though, as the site generally has not been doing well for the past two years due to Google algorithm updates.

There's also far more competition nowadays than there used to be, it was easier ten years ago.

7. Jan Saints profile image85
    Jan Saintsposted 6 months ago

There is also an issue to do with CPM. Gaming usually has a low CPM, but you can always write more and aim to get more views to compensate for that. You also don't have to stick with one topic here, you can try other topics with better CPM.

8. Abby Slutsky profile image93
    Abby Slutskyposted 6 months ago

It is normal and can take a long time to get a payout here. You just have to get lucky that an article or two gets high views, As it turns out, my most viewed article is one that another hubber tikd me was unlikely to attract interest. Of course, volume of articles also helps.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)