Lots of Articles Now With Zero Daily Views

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (63 posts)
  1. eugbug profile image96
    eugbugposted 4 months ago

Traffic has fallen to maybe 20% of what it was. Now I have loads of articles with zero daily views. Am I going to be penalised by HP and have them shifted to Discover, not because it's my fault, but because the sites are badly rated by Google now?

1. janshares profile image93
      jansharesposted 4 months agoin reply to this

I have 11 out of 109 articles with zero daily views. I think that's expected. I recall some time ago hearing that if you have articles with zero views in consecutive 30-day periods, then you're article is at risk for being "unfeatured," which was the term back then. Now I guess the phrase is "demoted back to Discovery HP." I have 2 articles that have had zero views in 30 days.

eugbugposted 4 months agoin reply to this

I don't see the point in demoting them. Then they get even less views. If that happens, I'll just take them off the site. I've done that already with ones they moved back.

2. janshares profile image93
        jansharesposted 4 months agoin reply to this

The zeros have quadrupled today. Maybe I didn't count right yesterday. But I don't think so.

It's like we've reached the event horizon and are now spiralling into the centre of the black hole.

2. WriterJanis profile image92
      WriterJanisposted 4 months agoin reply to this

The traffic for my articles has also dropped. I have several that are getting 0 views. I'm also making less money each month even though I have had an increase in published articles. Sigh.......

3. chef-de-jour profile image96
      chef-de-jourposted 4 months agoin reply to this

Isn't it time for a complete overhaul of the HP model? Get some fresh techno minds in to start from scratch, blank sheet and all that, roots and branch, on and on from January 2024.

The new TAG CEO has timed it perfectly.

1. PaulGoodman67 profile image94
        PaulGoodman67posted 4 months agoin reply to this

The "new CEO" is in an interim position from what I've read. That means, I believe, they're essentially in a caretaker role until the post is filled long-term. I think that makes it unlikely that there will be any major changes in the near future.

1. chef-de-jour profile image96
          chef-de-jourposted 4 months agoin reply to this

Yes, I see that too but he's had a majority stake in Levinsohn's company since August 2023 so I guess he's half-serious about boosting TAG's tarnished name. He has an interesting background, not your average CEO if his bio is anything to go by.

He has two basic aims, to “improve the operational efficiency and revenue of the company" - haha - starting with HP (in our dreams).

2. SerenityHalo profile image95
          SerenityHaloposted 4 months agoin reply to this

I stepped away from the forums for a couple of weeks, and I feel I have missed some fascinating news. I'm excited for new leadership. Sometimes an interim person ends up becoming the official one.

4. phillippeengel profile image81
      phillippeengelposted 4 months agoin reply to this

Google recently unleashed a fresh wave of algorithm updates (October and November core update), and organic SEO is definitely feeling the heat.

That means our articles, (and mine too!), are facing a tougher climb to the top of search results.

Remember, the internet is a playground, and Google is the slightly creepy park ranger who keeps changing the rules.

1. SerenityHalo profile image95
        SerenityHaloposted 4 months agoin reply to this

The slightly creepy park ranger! That's hilarious.

5. Thelma Alberts profile image91
      Thelma Albertsposted 4 months agoin reply to this

The same with my articles. I have a lot of 0 views. Very demotivating.

6. NateB11 profile image89
      NateB11posted 4 months agoin reply to this

I haven't been on here in a long time so not sure what my views have been but I do know I'm well below the threshold for payout, and I don't think that's happened for some time. Didn't know there was a new CEO too. Let's see how this goes.

2. PaulGoodman67 profile image94
    PaulGoodman67posted 4 months ago

Yes, it's very dispiriting.

I used to weed out articles myself that had very low views. Consequently, I didn't have that many poor performers.

However, now I have lots of hubs with 0-10 daily views and only a few good performers on each of my accounts.

I was thinking along the same lines as you. HP might end up kicking articles to Discover that not that long ago were doing reasonably well.

I mean, I understand HP's logic. As they can't edit everything, it's best to focus on improving the high performers and reducing the amount of stuff that Google appears to dislike in a niche.

But it becomes grim when traffic is falling relentlessly.

My traffic dropped again recently. I'm hoping it will be temporary.

According to SE Roundtable, the Google ranking volatility started at the end of November and hasn't quit since.

It's not even clear what's causing the volatility as no new updates have been announced.

Mine is down too, another 20% or so. It's probably at its lowest now than it's ever been.

I don't think there's much "probably" about it for me.

There's very little that bucks the trend. In the past, I saw what worked and ran with that but there don't seem to be any veins to mine nowadays. Pretty much everything is doing badly. I don't even get much of an Amazon boost at Xmas anymore.

The bumping stuff out of the niches to Discover has a logic. It's reasonable to assume that a large share of the stuff that's doing the worst is disliked by Google for some reason.

The logic is that you remove the stuff that Google hates then the rankings for the site as a whole improve.

It's a crude tool, though, as inevitably it pushes out some stuff that is well-written and not offensive to Google but has low traffic for other reasons. In an environment where entire niches are being punished, more articles will fall into this category.

Maybe it's time to return to subdomains so we can rank on our own merits rather than that of the niche sites?

1. Kenna McHugh profile image92
              Kenna McHughposted 4 months agoin reply to this

Eugene,

Subdomains, how's that work?

I don't understand the technicalities, but I think it's as though we have sub-websites off the main Hubpages domain so Google sees them as though they were separate websites and ranks them as such. But that was implemented before the network sites were introduced. Maybe we could have subdomains off the network sites?

Kenna McHughposted 4 months agoin reply to this

I see. I doubt HP would move forward with that. I was thinking it was something writers could do on their own.

For sure, splitting the HP site into subdomains was adopted to try and solve the catastrophe caused by Panda. It didn't work, though.

It's not really an area I know a great deal about. However, I believe there were good reasons to divide the site into niches according to the subject matter. It relates to how Google crawls sites and interprets them.

We may see some sort of big change happen, though, if things don't improve. Editing articles to improve them doesn't seem to be enough to please the Big G.

2. theraggededge profile image96
                  theraggededgeposted 4 months agoin reply to this

We did. For example, mine was http://theraggededge.hubpages.com/... followed by the article title. It didn't work very well as hp had suffered the massive google-slap.

1. JerryFisher profile image92
                    JerryFisherposted 4 months agoin reply to this

If you take a look at Arena's other publications other than Hubpages on Semrush such as Sports Illustrated and The Street - they're all doing fine and have never suffered from a Google bash. Maybe we're too far down for them to give a damn anymore?

2. DrMark1961 profile image96
                    DrMark1961posted 3 months agoin reply to this

Mine was working well.

3. Solaras profile image96
    Solarasposted 4 months ago

HP has been bled to support the debt and the flagship sites  too many ads, all the efforts go into cheap "news" articles. The sites are getting 8 of them a day while articles of value are tossed off to discover.

What needs to happen is subdomains by topic. For instance  Cats.Pethelpful, Dogs.Pethelpful.com. etc

1. Shesabutterfly profile image94
      Shesabutterflyposted 4 months agoin reply to this

I wonder what their thought process was behind cranking out all these new dog guides? Maybe they realize "news" is not the best use of their time, but are still trying to bring in daily fresh/new articles?

It would be nice if they utilized more of the experts on Pethelpful though instead of using staff. Thesprucepets already has more detailed guides on most if not all these dogs. It's going to be hard to out compete them when their pages look better (ads are only in the margins), more detailed information (with the help of graphs, charts, toc), and are written by people who are professionals in the field or fact checked by them vs some of HP's bioless staff. They have already proved and taken over Pethelpful as the biggest competition in a lot of aspects. I think we need more to set us apart. Maybe subdomains could be a step in the right direction.

Most niche sites are too broad. They would need more than a handful of subdomains. How far would we need to break down in order to try and see if that would be helpful at this point? Would it be cost effective?

1. Solaras profile image96
        Solarasposted 4 months agoin reply to this

Spruce is broken down into subdomains, pets and then the species.  Those new guide to breeds are so basic, I don't know what they are thinking, other than they can replace the writers here and their trailing commissions.

Regarding loss of pageviews, the phone call is coming from inside the house.  Folks with strange bios and no last name are cannibalizing my views here with articles of almost the same name and newness being their advantage. .

That is very disheartening to hear. I'm sorry you're being affected by this. I had no idea that was happening. Sounds like they are trying to push out "freshness" at the cost of genuine writers. That's not the kind of fix the niches need.

2. Kierstin Gunsberg profile image93
        Kierstin Gunsbergposted 4 months agoin reply to this

I don’t think their “staff” are real writers, I suspect they’re AI. I don’t really contribute here at all anymore because I’m freelancing for print/local publications now as I make a career pivot, but I approached HP about writing these “news” articles and they said there were no openings. Which… I get, but with the amount of “news” they push out vs. the number of staff they employ, it’s safe to assume that a majority of that content is AI generated.

I honestly do not think I'd be able to tell the difference. The "news" is shallow and the dog guides are very basic, but whether that's the product of AI or because they are pushing out so many (using various authors) is hard for me to tell. Most of the guides do contain a sources section though, so I think it's more likely than not staff/editor/author created.

Angel did reply to a thread a few weeks back (when SI was caught with AI) in regards to AI and HP's guidelines. "We do not host any content created or managed by AdVon on HubPages sites. We want to ensure that our network sites are a space for high-quality, authentic content that abides by our editorial guidelines, which means that we do our best to reject any content we suspect to be generated by AI."

https://hubpages.com/community/forum/35 … llustrated

The AI entities such as ChatGPT don't have any "memory". So they can't or won't tell us either whether they wrote the content.

PaulGoodman67posted 3 months agoin reply to this

I tend to agree with Cholee. I don't see it as "safe to assume" AI content. I have an open mind and would be interested to see the evidence but I've not seen it so far.

I'm also not convinced that the news sections really have much effect on our articles, the vast majority of which are encountered by readers via the search engines.

However, I do think that there is a wider danger that as TAG trawls around for new ideas to make money and HP continues to sink, we eventually become seen as old news.

That worries me more than additional news articles and new dog websites by TAG.

4. Shesabutterfly profile image94
    Shesabutterflyposted 4 months ago

My highest view article has lost half it's traffic in the last two weeks. It is not looking good. Usually it is doing better this time of year, not worse.

I've had so many articles moved back the last few years, but Delishably seems to have a lower threshold than most. I have articles that see less than 10 views in 30 days and have under 1k in 10+ years still hanging around Delishably, when articles with higher views have been sent back from other niche sites. Maybe I missed their 30 days of 0 views for consecutive months.

I've been reaching new lows in December, breaking personal records by getting lower traffic than when I first started.

Heaven knows what January and 2024 hold for us. While I'm earning far less than I was a couple of years ago, the money is still useful.

But it's dwindling.

5. Sherry Hewins profile image91
    Sherry Hewinsposted 4 months ago

I am losing the will to continue. It's been a great ride, but when I view my articles on the network sites I can certainly see why people click away. I wouldn't battle my way through the ads to read them either.

6. ChitrangadaSharan profile image91
    ChitrangadaSharanposted 4 months ago

It’s the same story with my articles too—Less views, less earnings!
    Even the high performing articles have lost significant views.
    I believe, the countless number of Ads are doing all the damage.
    No motivation to write something new.

1. MsDora profile image94
      MsDoraposted 4 months agoin reply to this

I feel the same way, Chitrangada, but I'm hoping that the site owners will decide on some new technique to save the day. Happy New Year to all of us!

7. phillippeengel profile image81
    phillippeengelposted 3 months ago

You're right on point. Whether something is generated by AI or a human hand, the ultimate test is its usefulness. In fact, that's the lens I always try to look through – is this information helpful, engaging, or adding value in some way?

I agree that's a good approach when it comes to writing for a site like HP.

However, I believe that the economics can't be forgotten when it comes to AI. When the industrial revolution happened, handmade clothes still had many advantages over machine-made. However, people essentially stopped buying handmade clothing because the factory-produced versions were much cheaper.

Even in cases where the AI version of something is slightly inferior to the human, it may still win out because it costs little or no money.

Solarasposted 3 months agoin reply to this

I think you are right on point there. Why share revenue indefinitely. Why not employ humans or ai to generate content with no future revenue sharing. Current management may view us as leaches,  dragging away their rightful share, when they can rewrite our articles and make them their own. Newer content is getting more views, so our content is moved to discover. Rinse repeat.

I think the primary threat to a site like this comes from the AI bots at Google and Bing writing their own answers for free.

I don't think companies like HP have much control over that.

The big problem with AI currently is that the content it generates can be unreliable/untrustworthy. If that issue could be solved, I can't see how a site like this would be able to stay afloat.

eugbugposted 3 months agoin reply to this

Another thing that AI can't do is produce a series of photos for a guide. It might use public domain images, but I don't see how it could create customised photos or infographics like I have to produce to explain a procedure. Although Wikihow come up with illustrations for their guides. They've been doing that for years, before AI was a thing. Maybe they have a team of illustrators who are quick on the draw.

Solarasposted 3 months agoin reply to this

AI can produce images, instantaneously. You tell it what you want and it gathers data from thousands of existing images to generate things like a purple zebra with blue wings, if that is what you asked for.

But the results produced by OpenAI's DALLE 2 are a lot less than impressive. I use them solely for funny tweets. For instance I just asked it now to draw a diagram of an air filter being removed from a lawn mower and this is what I got, which is a lot more impressionist than accurate. The images remind me of the sort of concoctions our mind makes in dreams. Hopefully it'll take some time before it gets more capable, but for the moment I guess it'll just use generic public domain images in articles.

In the diagram below, I guess it's aware of that fact that air filters are sometimes foamy and the air filter housing sort of looks like the bag off a mower. I don't know where the annotation comes from. Text on images is usually garbage.

https://hubstatic.com/16867924_f1024.jpg

2. theraggededge profile image96
              theraggededgeposted 3 months agoin reply to this

Surely you would just get it to produce the first one using detailed instructions and then tell it what slight changes to make to it to show a process?

Maybe, I'm not sure. I'll have to do some reading up on the subject.

3. PaulGoodman67 profile image94

If you judge AI for what it can do at the moment, then it's got some serious issues. However, I try to consider how things are moving and what AI's likely able to do in 18 months or two years.

That's relevant as it dictates which direction I go in.

Sometimes I feel like people discuss AI as if it's a static thing when it's really not.

Bill Gates makes a convincing argument that AI will be widely used throughout societies for all sorts of things within a couple of years.

When the internet came along, it took years for high-speed cables to be laid and people to buy computers and learn how to use them. The infrastructure is already essentially in place for AI.

Once it becomes widely used, the pace of advancement will accelerate even more, as more money and research are invested.

I worked in libraries and I remember some of the arguments that were used to justify keeping reference book sections. For instance, it was argued that Wikipedia wasn't always accurate so people would always need librarians and reference books. That idea turned out not to be mistaken, of course, and we got rid of reference sections a few years later.

I expect that the flaws in AI will be tackled and it will happen much quicker than many expect.

1. Titia profile image94
                Titiaposted 3 months agoin reply to this

I'm afraid you're right.

8. eugbug profile image96
    eugbugposted 3 months ago

Traffic seems to be increasing a bit this week after the Christmas.

Kenna McHughposted 3 months agoin reply to this

Same here; I just noticed that.

2. PaulGoodman67 profile image94

Yes. I hope it's algorithmic and not just seasonal.

It's important to remember that Xmas/New Year is a very brief holiday in the US compared to the UK (and presumably Ireland).

In England, the country almost shuts down completely for a week or two around Christmas.

In the US (where most of our traffic comes from), it's fleeting for most people. Some people take a bunch of time off but most go straight back to work.

Paul, you are funny. Let's take a rise for a rise.

The underlying cause is a big deal. It affects my behavior/life.

For instance, if it's just seasonal, there's no point writing again. If things improved with Google, it might be different.

Of course, there's nowhere near enough info right now to draw any conclusions.

Paul, it's a crapshoot. But I am enjoying it. big_smile

For me, it's a sad situation, another writing for income site that appears to be going down the drain.

I would describe the overall situation as "outside of our control," rather than a crapshoot.

I hear you!

3. PaulGoodman67 profile image94

There’s a new Google update just kicked in. I suspect that’s the cause of the current (slight) traffic rise.

9. eugbug profile image96
    eugbugposted 3 months ago

That traffic increase as usual was short lived, it's gone down again.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)