Google Dumps Article From Search

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (19 posts)
  1. eugbug profile image97
    eugbugposted 2 months ago

An article called "How to Convert Decimal to Binary and Binary to Decimal" which used to have the featured snippet for "convert decimal to binary" is now missing completely from SERPs for that term. This is the guide I posted a forum post about before when I copied and pasted and republished it, but the experiment wasn't successful and it didn't improve traffic. I republished the original version (i.e. took it out of its unpublished state), but traffic didn't improve and is only around 10 views per day now (used to be 1500 per day for the first year after publishing).
    Is there anything I can do?

1. chef-de-jour profile image96
      chef-de-jourposted 2 months agoin reply to this

I googled your full title and found your article, dated 17th Oct 23 at No8 (after all the videos and people also ask questions) but couldn't see your article when googling the shortened titles.

Not sure what you can do next? I guess you've thought about updating, restructuring, sizing up or down?

Could you ask a question on Google forums? Go straight to those who know?

I try to live in hope but underlying all this is the fundamental notion that no matter how much we tweak, improve, update, enlarge and creatively republish Google will still slap us down due to you know what.

eugbugposted 2 months agoin reply to this

I have asked on forums and the thinking was that Owlcation as a site doesn't have authority. It seems to have a lot less now.

2. eugbug profile image97
    eugbugposted 2 months ago

I did email Hubpages several times about shifting it from Owlcation to Turbofuture to see if it would do any better there, but never got any reply.

1. JerryFisher profile image91
      JerryFisherposted 2 months agoin reply to this

Well from where I am - the exact search term 'How to Convert Decimal to Binary and Binary to Decimal' ranks number 3 after about four or five videos - out of something like 14m results. But you're right about 'convert decimal to binary' - nowhere to be seen out of 30m results. But it is in the system if you type 'convert decimal to binary Owlcation' it comes up

But originally it had the featured snippet for that term. So it's a huge downranking.

1. JerryFisher profile image91
          JerryFisherposted 2 months agoin reply to this

Yeah the whole site is under water in that regard. Great articles have gone down with the bad. HP originally used Adsense and my belief is that when Arena stopped using it and used their own ad network,  then there was no little reason for Google to keep HP in their high ranking list and especially when Arena took it upon themselves to place an ad every second sentence. In the earlier days maybe ten or fifteen years ago when many of us wrote our own Wordpress sites on an article or two throwing Adsense in, Google back then sent out a warning that too much Adsense would kill your ranking. And that was way back then so Arena have only themselves to blame. Such a shame that all of us have put so much time and effort into the articles and Arena’s greed has been self explosive.

3. Miebakagh57 profile image69
    Miebakagh57posted 2 months ago

Google is now the Police of the internet, or more specific the the search engine.                                    So Almighty Google can dictate, programme, manipulate, and control the search results, and more.                                                  And the various updates that serves as a pointer, seems perplexing, and somehow undermines our existing articles.                                  Why is not this happening with other search engines like  Bing, Yahoo, and Yadex in comparison?                                    Google is too complex.

4. Gregory DeVictor profile image95
    Gregory DeVictorposted 2 months ago

Eugene, I live in western Pennsylvania and found your article in #1 place after a string of videos. I keyed in your title using quotes as well.

Following your article is another one with the same exact title. It is written by Adam Turner and was published on Medium. The Google date for Adams' article was two years ago.

I checked this information on both my phone and Chromebook and the organic search results were identical. Sometimes, that doesn't happen.

From my experience, an article will generally be in first place when the full title is searched for (unless it's a relatively short, generic title). What's happened in the last couple of years is that they don't rank for fragments from the title. Maybe this has something to do with Google providing search results that more closely match a search or a combination of that and down ranking of an entire site.

5. Gregory DeVictor profile image95
    Gregory DeVictorposted 2 months ago

When I removed the quotes, your article is way down on the first page. But it is there.

This time, Adams' article with the same title is nowhere to be found.

Once again, I checked this on both my phone and Chromebook.

6. PaulGoodman67 profile image96
    PaulGoodman67posted 2 months ago

I think "Google dumps article" is an unfortunate turn of phrase as the article hasn't disappeared from the search engine, as far as I can tell, but rather suffered a drastic drop in the rankings.

This has happened to a lot of high-achieving articles in my experience. Hubs that at one time achieved 1000+ views per day now achieve 25 or less.

The higher they flew, the harder they fell, it seems.

I no longer have anything here that I could really point to as a success story.

Either have I. Maximum traffic is now 200 per day for one article, but mostly less than 100 or zero for all the others. I wonder how big an effort it would be to further split sites to improve their authority by making their coverage narrower? There's probably not much enthusiasm or manpower available for major changes to be made like there was years ago.

1. PaulGoodman67 profile image96
        PaulGoodman67posted 2 months agoin reply to this

I'm not convinced that splitting sites would have the desired effect and yes, investors and companies are increasingly focused on AI. Indexing isn't sexy.

There's supposedly a new Google update happening. I've not seen any big changes to traffic so far.

My traffic is stagnant or dropping slightly, whereas traditionally at this time of year, it would have started rising in spring.

1. OldRoses profile image94
            OldRosesposted 2 months agoin reply to this

Same here.  After a dismal November and December, my traffic always starts rising in January as people turn their attention to the plant catalogs arriving in their mailboxes.  This year, my traffic is falling.  In December, I barely made payout.  In January, I earned less, not even equal to payout,  when I should have been earning more.  CPMs are abysmal when they should be rising.  Hub Pages is a rapidly sinking ship.

2. Gregory DeVictor profile image95
            Gregory DeVictorposted 2 months agoin reply to this

Since Monday, my 7-day traffic total has fallen by several thousand page views. This is concerning. My top three performing articles are still doing well, so this surprising decrease is from an overall loss of traffic from my other lower-performing articles. Maybe this Google update hit me early.

3. PaulGoodman67 profile image96
            PaulGoodman67posted 2 months agoin reply to this

This update only started a few days ago, so it's early days. My traffic seems similar to Eugene's, stagnant/down slightly.

Things are so bad nowadays and my expectations so low that I feel relieved when I only lose 10 or 15% of my traffic!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)