Whats the deal with Bing?

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (16 posts)
  1. 1974 profile image67
    1974posted 14 years ago

I don't check my traffic sources in my Hubpages account panel on a regular basis, but today was one of the days I did hae a look and am wondering if it is the same for other hubbers.

In my hub stats, it says I have just over 11k total views(not great but I'm working on it).  Then when I hop over to the Traffic Sources section, it shows where the viewer came from.  Here is the break down:

#1 Google   6,110
    #2 Hubpages 1,329
    #3 Yahoo    762

The next are all variations of Google including images .au, .co.uk etc.. and ezine articles.  Then way down the list I see:

#12 Bing  57

I know Bing is gaining slowly in market share with all their advertising, and I am in no way claiming by my paltry 11k views that nobody uses Bing, but is there a trick for ranking on Bing?  Does Bing not give a boost to rev share sites like Google does?

I am curious to see some Bing stats from other Hubbers(no need to post hard numbers if you don't want to), how far down the list is Bing for you?

1. relache profile image73
      relacheposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Bing is approx #4 for me in traffic sources, if you combine google and yahoo variants.  I've got a few Hubs that turn up very high for common search terms with them.  Bing seems to like older, longer-established Hubs and isn't as warm to newer ones.

2. DanPowers profile image47
    DanPowersposted 14 years ago

Looking at my stats, Bing looks like an epic fail. Microsoft should just buy Google.

3. thooghun profile image94
    thooghunposted 14 years ago

Concur on the epic fail. I'd post my results as well but the "Myaccount" section of the site seems to be broken with the introdction of the contest.

1. 1974 profile image67
      1974posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I'm using IE instead of FireFox, Safari, or Chrome.  Working fine for me.

1. thooghun profile image94
        thooghunposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yup, switched to I.E and its working. Bing seems to drive about 1% of the traffic google does.

4. Greg Cremia profile image60
    Greg Cremiaposted 14 years ago

If you bing the keyword "maps" you won't find bing maps, which is by far the best maps app on the web. So don't bother trying to figure out how bing works when they (MS) don't know how to make their own site show up in their own serps.

5. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 14 years ago

hubpages.com        196      1101       5217      16291
    images.google.com   39      347      671      1219
    google.com          45    181     603     929
    bing.com        5      19      164      447

The above is exactly how my stats are presented on Traffic sources page. My total views are just over 23,000 views.

6. sunforged profile image71
    sunforgedposted 14 years ago

I just dont think the hubs traffic sources page is very accurate.

For a couple of months I used a URL tracker only for twitter.

It shows 3.2K views under URL trackers.

But under "traffic sources" only 230 views are shown?

On my traffic sources Bing sends less traffic than aol search or google germany! and is the 11th one down.

I also noticed that yahoo.mail sent me -1 views today

Conclusion, I never even open traffic sources, analytics is my friends instead

so I checked my sources under analytics, it shows 484 Bing views - compared to 430 shown by Hubs - thats really not that bad of a discrepancy

7. MyWebs profile image77
    MyWebsposted 14 years ago

On HP I don't think Ive got one hit yet from Bing...

On one web page of mine thats established and gets about 1,000 hits per day I grabbed these stats.

Sources       Visits     % visits
    google (organic)
                  16,196     80.30%
    yahoo (organic)
                  976     4.84%
    (direct) ((none))
                  874     4.33%
    bing (organic)
                  589     2.92%

I get more direct traffic than Bing's paltry 2.92% .. I don't even worry about Bing and very little about Yahoo. This web page ranks equally well in all 3 search engines, like top 3 or so on each. So it is a fair comparison.

Based on my keywords, ranking well on Bing isn't worth the effort. Google is all I care about. Yahoo is good for a quick fix when a hub / page is new and fresh, thats about it.

8. profile image0
    lyricsingrayposted 14 years ago

I feel so dumb, I thought you said bling and I was ready to rap gems.  hmm:

9. yenajeon profile image71
    yenajeonposted 14 years ago

I am also doing terribly with bing. I have more views from digg.com! LOL

10. William F. Torpey profile image71
    William F. Torpeyposted 14 years ago

Anytime I see "Bing" I think only of Bing Crosby!

But bing.com is number six in my traffic sources.

11. thisisoli profile image72
    thisisoliposted 14 years ago

Google is really the only search engine worth going for, on all my stats it regularly hold up a huge portion of my visitors.

You could try optimizing for Yahoo or Bing, but in both cases you are doing the same work you would for Google, but for a small percentage of the traffic.

1. Daisydot profile image60
      Daisydotposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Re "Google the only search engine worth going for" - I'm scared of having all my eggs in one basket. It would be nice to have traffic from Yahoo and Bing too.

Re optimizing for Yahoo and Bing being the same as for Google - if it was the same surely all three engines would be delivering the same search results as regards rankings? But they are not. So there must be something very different about their algorithms.

12. skyfire profile image77
    skyfireposted 14 years ago

Bing- considers age of page, external linking, fresh content etc etc. Bing can only fetch traffic from computers where users are using IE a lot than any other browser.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)