suffering from Hubblock

Jump to Last Post 1-13 of 13 discussions (15 posts)
  1. princess g profile image60
    princess gposted 14 years ago

I can't think of anything to write:(

I see a lot of great hubs on here, really interesting and detailed. I want to make hubs like that, and I don't know where to start.

I have a few, but they're short, boring, lame, or all three. It's daunting.

1. relache profile image72
      relacheposted 14 years agoin reply to this

When that happens to me, it's a sign that I need to take a break from writing.  And usually a short time later, as I'm doing something else, I'll think "wow, I should make a Hub about this..." and then I'm back up and writing again.

2. Susana S profile image94
      Susana Sposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I have the opposite problem, too much to write, not enough hours lol, though I obviously also get days when I just haven't got the steam (usually when I've been writing a great deal). If you've got the motivation but need ideas I've got a hub on getting ideas for hubs called "Web Content and What Topics to Write About" which may help. Other than that I also read newspapers and see if there's anything that really interests me, new products etc.

2. Arthur Fontes profile image74
    Arthur Fontesposted 14 years ago

science fiction, fantasy, polymer clay, paranormal stuff and conspiracies, and anything strange.

Anything like this would be interesting.

So would hubs on your art.

From your profile there seems to be many subjects you could share with us.

3. TheGlassSpider profile image64
    TheGlassSpiderposted 14 years ago

Hmm...I find that I am often overly critical of my own ideas and writing. Put the "short, boring, lame" hubs someplace where you can't see them for a little while and come back to them later when you can have some distance from them and a more objective eye--there's probably something good there, but it may need more crafting.

Erase their existence from your mind. For the moment.

Okay. Now. Are you living enough? Part of writing is living--are you staying the present moment, paying attention to the world around you--the life around you--and giving yourself the chance to immerse yourself in it? Are you doing things you enjoy sometimes? Seeing friends, having good times with family?

If you are--then are you giving yourself unpressured processing time? Relaxation? Time when it's just you, doing what you want (or doing nothing) thinking, meditating--just not worrying about stuff? Try that too...whatever works for you.

Stimulate your mind. Relax your mind. Balance these things out.

This next piece of advice is going to sound idiotic, but it works for me: Sit in front of your word document every day and type. Just type. It doesn't matter what you type--type "I can't think of anything to write" or "boomda booomda bop" over and over or "rose rose roserose arose is a rose is a rose he arose we arose I arouse...haha" until SOMETHING comes out, and it will. wink The act of meditative typing can often "knock" things out.

Unless you get something going, I recommend doing this for about fifteen minutes per day (twenty tops)...If nothing comes, stop and don't worry about it (I've only had rare instances during which this has been the case). Just make it a part of your daily schedule. This has more than one effect--it helps you become disciplined about doing SOME writing every single day, no matter what; when your mind gets used to the idea, it becomes more productive and generative--this may not be a problem with you.

Another reason to do this is to discourage being intimidated by the page/document/writing. I encourage you to be silly on the page, write lame stuff--figure out WHY it's lame. Learn from your mistakes. Give yourself permission NOT to be perfect. A writer is someone who writes. We learn by doing more. This exercise is also great for inspiration--I think the repetition helps one get in touch with the unconscious mind, or something. If you think something is really terrible, you can just delete it or make sure no one ever sees it. You are in control. smile

Finally, and maybe most importantly, READ OTHER PEOPLE'S STUFF. When good stuff goes in, good stuff comes out. Search for an author you've never read before--or a new genre--or read something new by a favorite or someone you've been meaning to look into.

I'm sorry I can't be more specific; I strongly believe that this part of it (the generation of ideas, living/meditating/writing, etc.) is different for each writer...but these are things I try to remember when I get blocked up.

Best of luck! smile

4. thisisoli profile image70
    thisisoliposted 14 years ago

I currently have the same problem, I cam down with a cold and it killed any creative thoughts I was having.

1. Jayne Lancer profile image91
      Jayne Lancerposted 14 years ago

My God, Princess G, with as many interests as you have, you must be able to think of something to write!
      The best thing to do is just start writing about one of those things. When you've written everything you think you'd like to include in a Hub, think up a concept and turn it into an article. That's what I do, and it seems to work.
      I think few of us have a finished Hub in mind before we start writing.

2. rebekahELLE profile image84
      rebekahELLEposted 14 years ago

looking at your profile, you have some great hub material. take something you're great at and write about it.

or look at google trends to see what's being searched.

some good ideas from morning news shows that talk about all kinds of things, not just front page news.

I take walks daily and come up with ideas. and write them on a list when I get back. the ideas will come when you're not forcing yourself to come up with something.

art dolls sounds like a great hub, you could write about the process and show pics.

3. princess g profile image60

Everyone has been so helpful, and I want to say thanks:)

I like Hubpages. You guys are cool.

4. profile image0
      ralwusposted 14 years ago

There ya go. Cool paranormal hubbers. Write about that. big_smile

5. princess g profile image60

I put my hubs I don't like into "unpublished" so I can spend time to make them better, and work on ones that are more interesting.

I really do appreciate everyone taking time to give thier advice:)

6. Nicole Winter profile image59
      Nicole Winterposted 14 years ago

Good luck to you, princess g!  I think the glass spider gave some really good tips, especially taking the time to read... I think it was Steven King who said that if you don't have time to read then you don't have time to write.  With as much as he writes you'd be amazed to know that he reads so much more.  (Well, maybe not, it should take longer to write a book than to read one.)  Take a look at my profile, I've written something like 10 hubs this last week, most are short and were easy to write, (they're not terribly good, of course,) and (I was happy to hear that I'm not the only one who looks at Google Trends, btw,) it can go to show how just reading / answering other hubbers questions and google trends can give a plethora of ideas to write about.  Making them good, of course is another thing, but I always figure that will come later when I've taken some time to reflect on it.  I re-write my hubs pretty consistently... I'm not sure if this is a good or bad thing, but that's just the way I work.

--- NAW

7. CMHypno profile image83
      CMHypnoposted 14 years ago

Keep a list!  I have a word document where I jot down any ideas that I get during the day from what I see, read or hear.  Do a bit of research and then develop those ideas.  A good Hub doesn't have to be too long or too involved - just well written and engaging.

8. IzzyM profile image87
      IzzyMposted 14 years ago

I write two types of hubs. One on a subject I know well - in fact my two latest were both subjects I knew off by heart so to speak, and didn't need to research at all.
      The other type is about things I have an interest in and do the research before I write it.
      In all honesty I think the hubs I've written about things I already know about are by far my best hubs - not necessarily the ones with the most traffic.
      My third type of hub isn't written yet. It's the type where it's about a subject I know nothing about and have no interest in, but makes money.
      Stop thinking about topics for a minute, and do a bit of daydreaming about your own past, and you will come up with subjects you'd forgotten you knew.

9. skyfire profile image78
      skyfireposted 14 years ago

Start posting in religious and political forums, if you find yourself posting too much on forums you'll be able to write other hub as well. This works for me, not sure about the others.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)