Competitive Ad Filter

Jump to Last Post 1-15 of 15 discussions (27 posts)
  1. SimeyC profile image87
    SimeyCposted 14 years ago

I was reading a blog the other day and I canme across an article on using the Competitive Ad Filter.

I had nothing to lose so I tried the advice.

Wow - since using this wonderful little section on Adsense, my Google revenue 'ratio' has increased by 80-90% - amazing.

Do a search on the forums for 'Competitive Ad Filter' and you'll find a great old forum entry with suggested sites to add to this filtrer...well worth doing!

1. mailxpress profile image51
      mailxpressposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hello SimeyC,
      Thank you so much for creating a Forum as this.  I'm still trying to master Google Adsense.
      I spent a couple of hours visiting each website to see if it were still in use and to get more of a feel to what to look for when I come across the MFA (made for Ads) and LCPC (low cost per click).
      I can't wait to see the results.
      I build free websites and have gotten very good at it.  It's nice to know I have control over what ads are being placed on my websites.
      If you or anyone in this forum creates websites make sure you verify you website within you Adsense account.  I did that today too.
      There is so much to Adsense.  It goes so deep.  OK, thanks again.
      mailxpress

2. Will Apse profile image88
    Will Apseposted 14 years ago

It wouldn't be spamming if you gave us a direct link to that forum post, SimeyC. I think a lot of people could benefit.

SimeyCposted 14 years agoin reply to this

True - here's the original link:

http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/15248

..and some background info!

What this tool allows you to do is to list sites that either don't directly relate to your content (and therefore won't get clicked) or to some low paying 'spam' sites - so from my experience I seem to get a lot more 'high' paying clicks.....

3. thisisoli profile image70
    thisisoliposted 14 years ago

haha, just read the original thread, the first ad I blocked as well was for the scientology website.

4. mod2vint profile image61
    mod2vintposted 14 years ago

Thanks for the info, I'll be checking it out. Any suggestions on what kind of site to block?

The link I listed has a lot of suggestions - including a full list from one person! I just used a generic list I found on the web and got decent results!

1. mod2vint profile image61
        mod2vintposted 14 years agoin reply to this

what did you enter for a search term to find your list?

5. thisisoli profile image70
    thisisoliposted 14 years ago

You want to block out sites which you do not think anyone will click.

So for example, on a vegetarian website, you would not want adverts for chicken recipes.

6. Lynda Gary profile image61
    Lynda Garyposted 14 years ago

I spent hours going back through all my hubs, checking to see if the ads were relevant, etc. ALL -- literally -- of them were. So I didn't see the need to add the filter.

Hmm..

Am I just lucky with what ads are posting, or am I overlooking something?

I noticed a big increase of revenue per click when I used this application - you may have relevant ads on your Hubs, but some of those may only be paying 0.01c per click....

7. relache profile image72
    relacheposted 14 years ago

Remember, any ad filtering is only going to work when your own affiliate ID is on the Hubs.  It won't work when the HubPages preferences are in play.

8. Cagsil profile image71
    Cagsilposted 14 years ago

Thank you for pointing out the thread. Much appreciated. I can use or test theories a little at a time and see what's what. smile

9. englightenedsoul profile image59
    englightenedsoulposted 14 years ago

@SimeyC
    Thanks for pointing to that thread.  I have blocked all the sites that were mentioned in that forum(I guess the list was genuinine, I dont want low priced ads)...How much time will take for the list to take effect??

I noticed a difference straight away.....I was pleasantly surprised!

1. englightenedsoul profile image59
        englightenedsoulposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Thank you so much for the list then...I hope I would be pleasantly suprised as well.  Thanks again for the share!!

10. sunforged profile image72
    sunforgedposted 14 years ago

ad blocking has its purpose especially relating to relevancy and competition, but keep in mind the ads that display on your page are the current high bidders, blocking them means you will now get the next LOWEST bid, but you may in turn get more of those clicks.

The best way to increase your ads cost per click and relevancy is to rephrase your titles and capsule headers until tasty high payers are displayed.

I found that by blocking a lot of 'spam' type sites that only pay 0.01c a click, I got about the same number of clicks, but the value was higher - it certainly didn't work out that the 'next bid' was lower.....my general revenue has gone up about 50%  - it's a little harder to gauge now as I found a niche and am getting tons of traffic - but when my traffic was static, the revenue definately went up noticeably after applying ad filters. Perhaps I was getting more relevant ads? or the better quality ads were more prominent, whatever it was - it happened directly after filtering the ad content!

1. sunforged profile image72
        sunforgedposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I believe your experience..but in the adwords business model, high bidder wins..if your highest bidders are .10 cents than you will  get replacement ads worth < or = .10 also

A spam site that only bids .01 cents wont beat a higher advertiser...why would google serve a penny when they could make a dime?

2. sunforged profile image72
        sunforgedposted 14 years agoin reply to this

It would be easy to gauge you can see if your volume or cost per click increased ..they are the most visible factors

11. sunforged profile image72

I do block a big list of MFA sites and supposedly notoriously low bidders like (believe it or not) ebay and yahoo, but I did it long ago after reading some random forum thread also, i dont  think its made a positive difference. I enjoy a greater than $7 ea per thousand by careful keyword tweaking

12. sunforged profile image72

heres the blacklist i used years ago...

http://www.johnchow.com/using-the-compe … -earnings/

adsense serves the highest bidders in the prime spots on your pages..the low bidders shouldnt be appearing at the tasty locations if they get clicked occasionally ..shrugs

youll see most of the commenters claim similar results as you though..

I guess I'll use it for now - and then as I get more sophisticated with my 'tags' and titles etc I'll try switching it off and monitor closely!

I still have a long way to go to learn about Google Adsense, SEO and marketing on the web!!!

13. mailxpress profile image51
    mailxpressposted 14 years ago

Hello Everyone,

I'm so pleased I came across this Forum.  I added the websites to the Competitive Ad Filter within my Adsense account.  Thank you guys.
    I also made all of my channels targetable.  I look forward to seeing if there is any significant changes to my adsense revenue. I'll be back to let you guys know.  Thank you again.
    mailxpress

14. Dense profile image60
    Denseposted 13 years ago

Hi, anyone has an updated list? The list seems old to me. SimeyC, SunForged? Anyone?

1. SunSeven profile image61
      SunSevenposted 13 years agoin reply to this

storyday.blog.hexun.com
      amygyh.blog.hexun.com
      110mb.com    
      dealtime.com    
      tracking101.com    
      insurances.splinder.com
      phpbb.com
      cnomy.com
      worldrevival.magnify.net
      business.com    
      toseeka.com    
      quickbrowsersearch.com   
      mediataskmaster.com    
      shopica.com    
      soydebarrio.com    
      searchbigdaddy.com    
      myglobalsearch.com    
      timesofmoney.com    
      deseoaprender.com    
      therichjerk.com    
      canalphotoshop.com    
      yeah.com    
      hd.org    
      sumpali.quotaless.com
      vectorportal.com    
      thinktarget.com    
      india.com    
      contattimsn.com    
      everyclick.com    
      25.com

This is the top 30 as of this moment! smile

Best Regards

15. sagebrush_mama profile image59
    sagebrush_mamaposted 13 years ago

Wow!  Thanks for this post...very helpful...needed to get rid of the pest control ad on my hub about growing tomatillos!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)