Do you click on ads?

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (25 posts)
  1. profile image0
    JeanMeriamposted 14 years ago

I ask this because I honestly don't remember ever clicking on one. I read what I want from the page and when I am done click the back button to get back to the search, unless it's a blog. Then I sometimes click the links to their other posts. Maybe I'm not an average internet user? I see the word ad and don't click.

1. rebekahELLE profile image86
      rebekahELLEposted 14 years agoin reply to this

are you talking about hp ads?   no, I don't.

if I'm searching online for info and get a site covered with ads, I leave. sometimes you can't even find the article.

I hardly ever click on ads, occasionally the NYT has some great ads I might click on. otherwise, I don't.

1. profile image0
        JeanMeriamposted 14 years agoin reply to this

No not hp. Just in general.

2. Marisa Wright profile image86
      Marisa Wrightposted 14 years agoin reply to this

It's called "ad blindness" and it's quite a well-known phenomenon.  It's the reason it's harder to make money through Adsense than it used to be.

When the internet first started, people couldn't tell ads from copy and were far more likely to click out of curiosity. These days, people will only click on ads if they're searching for something specific.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ad_blindness

2. habee profile image93
    habeeposted 14 years ago

Once in a while I click on an ad that really piques my interest.

1. profile image0

I don't really notice them. Maybe there's too many.

3. profile image60
    logic,commonsenseposted 14 years ago

I will to help out other hubbers!

1. darkside profile image65
      darksideposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You can help them out by not trying to help them out.

2. profile image0
      ryankettposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Unfortunately there is very little logic OR common sense in this post... please be careful not to get yourself or anybody else banned... in other words, just lay off the clicking buddy!

3. flread45 profile image59
      flread45posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Please do not click on my ads.either

4. KCC Big Country profile image84
    KCC Big Countryposted 14 years ago

"Helping" other hubbers will get their adsense account banned.  Please don't do me any favors.

5. profile image0
    Pani Midnyte Odinposted 14 years ago

I click on ads that interest me. I click on links that interest me as well.

1. profile image0

I always click interesting links.

6. earnestshub profile image80
    earnestshubposted 14 years ago

Not on hubpages I don't.
    I do buy most things online though, cheaper, better warranty, better service online. smile

1. profile image0

Need a mixer? big_smile

7. profile image0
    Ghost32posted 14 years ago

Not on HP, for obvious reasons.  But when I'm looking for something--such as rubber flooring for our house--I'll click on promising ads.  Have found a number of my more rational purchases that way.

8. profile image0
    JeanMeriamposted 14 years ago

So what happens to these type pages?-- My three year old plays games on websites that offer free games like My Little Pony etc. The game is small on the screen and they are kind of set up to be very tricky. There is one line among a hundred other links and adsense ads that says to click here for the game.

My little girl just starts randomly clicking until I take control of the mouse. Why aren't they being banned? Noone actually interested in the ad would click so quickly.

1. KCC Big Country profile image84
      KCC Big Countryposted 14 years agoin reply to this

It's considered click fraud and Google monitors it.  Advertisers are paying for each of those clicks.  Their fear is abuse and people clicking on each other's just to generate revenue for each other.  The advertisers are paying in hopes of generating genuinely interested traffic.  Google has to be strict in order to maintain the confidence of those that advertise through them.  You'll find loads of people on HP that have been banned from Adsense for friends clicking on their behalf.

9. profile image0
    ryankettposted 14 years ago

Occassionally.... if there is something which REALLY interests me. Obviously if its my own AdSense ID then thats a big no-no and I have to fight the curiosity...

But I would say that I have perhaps clicked 3 or 4 AdSense ads on other peoples hubs in the past 9 months when I have been genuinely interested... Which is of course allowed, as long as your not 'too' curious. I have accidently clicked my own a couple of times since...

Outside of Hubpages, same applies really, I may have clicked another 6 or 7.... I think that they are pretty average and natural numbers to be honest...

.... perhaps a non-AdSense user would have clicked a few more... and then there are shopperholics and those types who get sucked in easily to the words 'make money'....

If I accidently click on an Ad, I tend to make sure that I take the time to read about the site/services, only fair considering the advertiser is subsequently paying for my visit... Chances of me then becoming a conversion are slim, but they are owed the chance to 'convert' me... There are too many sites set up to encourage accidental clicks though, I have noticed that, it sucks helping to make people like that money...

Also.... I think that I am a lot more willing to explore ads when they dont appear to be from an ad network, e.g. independent banners on blogs... I feel better about not costing the advertiser money, I am a very hard person to convert or win a sign up off, I certainly think very long and hard before parting with cash...

What I have done however is make a purchase through another hubbers Amazon capsule when buying something for an American friend.... Your not supposed to use your own, although I'm not so sure that their detection system is advanced, so I had a quick search for a good quality hubpage about the product in question.... I do hope that my click fell into their 60%...

10. habee profile image93
    habeeposted 14 years ago

Ryan - you're back!!

1. profile image0
      ryankettposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yep!! Is good to be back.... And I didn't even need to ask smile

1. profile image0
        pinkyleeposted 14 years agoin reply to this

idk you but welcome back and nice to meet you smile

11. profile image0
    pinkyleeposted 14 years ago

i aint clicking on any ad or link within hubpages however i do use amazon from time to time outside of HP

1. Polly C profile image91
      Polly Cposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I sometimes click on ads if I am reading reviews online (not on hubpages) and the product I am interested in buying is advertised

12. profile image0
    Tilecleaninghubposted 14 years ago

Not in 10 years of using internet have I ever clicked on a google add.  One time clicked on that lance armstrong free energy thing and they signed up for some recurring products cost me almost $100.  I called up and canceled but never again.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)