Is this un just? I dont think so....

Jump to Last Post 1-15 of 15 discussions (26 posts)
  1. karlscabin profile image60
    karlscabinposted 14 years ago

My kid decided to click on adsense ads for two reasons: 1.) an effort to help the old man get clicks....
    2.) a genuine interest in the ad "build your own solar panels"
    I know he did this, because he showed me the "cool advertisement" that pops up. I told him not to do it again. I also informed him that if this caused problems, he would be punished.
    Yesterday, I get an email that adsense has suspended my account, for "clicks" I guess. I have appealled. I have also taken my kids car away, and suspended his driving privilage until adsense decides the case. I have told him that his driving privilage is dependant on their descision. If they do not give me a second chance, he dont get one either! He will not be allowed to drive again until he moves out of my home.
    I feel this is just punishment, for irresponsible actions. He feels I am being unjust. He says being left to the mercy of Adsense is unfair. I said I would let hubpages decide........

1. Marisa Wright profile image87
      Marisa Wrightposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Karl, it's not up to HubPages - you need to appeal directly to Adsense. 

It's too late now, but what you should have done was contact Adsense the minute you found out what he'd done, so you could pre-empt any suspension.  Good luck with the appeal

2. Faybe Bay profile image65
      Faybe Bayposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I just wrote you, before I saw this and your hub on subject. There are loads of ways to make money without adsense!

You have rushed and I tried to warn you not to. It is exciting to be published but you have to read all the fine print. this is not the end of the world. There are great hubbers like sunforged that can show you how to make money and Nelle Hoxie, you just have to read some hubs. on the subject.

3. Faybe Bay profile image65

Read this by Sunforged! It will help! There are many ways to make money. Luckily I bookmarked it earlier in a similar forum.

http://hubpages.com/hub/Top-Ten-Affilia … h-Hubpages

4. flread45 profile image59
      flread45posted 14 years agoin reply to this

You might as well sell the car,because you will most likely stay banned as google adsense is very strict,also if you write articles for money,it is best to have a locked password,so this kind of stuff doesn't happen.

2. profile image0
    pinkyleeposted 14 years ago

wow dude that is way harsh and unreasonable

3. profile image0
    pinkyleeposted 14 years ago

punishing your kid for something that is only makinng you pennies at the moment and for something that you yourself could have done is way beyond controlling and is not fair to him ... you cannot let hubpages decide how to punish your child though i dont see a reason to punish over something you could have done ... this is one of the craziest things i have ever heard

1. drej2522 profile image68
      drej2522posted 14 years agoin reply to this

hey..he's hardcore...got give him that! hardcore!

2. profile image58
      foreignpressposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I think the kid deserves a new car -- or at least a new scooter.

4. karlscabin profile image60
    karlscabinposted 14 years ago

It is not about the pennies, it would be so long in coming it is a joke. No his actions cause the butterfly effect. he did it on friday i wa evidenly busted by super secret spywaare they use. I am very aware the I need to appeal to adsense, and have. My point is now the little joy we get from watching those stupid pennies is gone. It took any "sense of accomplishment" out of this for me. I had thought it too cool. It wasnt about the money, I had TOLD EVRYONE: DONT CLICK, he chose to do so anyway.

1. Faybe Bay profile image65

Yes, Read Sunforged as posted above and then find others like it. I guarantee you will be glad you did!

2. profile image0
      pinkyleeposted 14 years agoin reply to this

pennies dont give you a sense of accomplishment ... writing the hubs and getting them published is what give you accomplishment ... but then again i dont write for the money and i could care less about the money but the punishment!? seriously that is just down right insane

3. tantrum profile image61
      tantrumposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Who is the child here ?
      Pleaaaseee !
      you've been her for only 3 weeks.
      If you're so concerned of earning pennies, open another account with a different e-mail and apply for Adsense again !

And leave your kid alone ! mad

5. starme77 profile image77
    starme77posted 14 years ago

He's just upset right now I think , he'll calm down and let his kid drive, just irritated is all I'll bet , hopefully adsense will understand

6. skyfire profile image79
    skyfireposted 14 years ago

Why you're letting ban of adsense  screw your personal life ?If tomorrow someone that you don't know screws you up with amazon then you'll punish yourself ? In any case, adsense is not going to give your account back.

Personal life is much more valuable than ad-networks and online earning, don't mix up online and offline life.

If you get banned from adsense,amazon then start writing for squidoo and also for your own blog and from there start selling affiliate products(in niche of your choice) just like you do with hubpages. Adsense ban is not the end, don't let it take over your personal life.

7. Lisa HW profile image62
    Lisa HWposted 14 years ago

Maybe it depends on whether your son was being malicious, or whether he was just being a typical kid who might also be likely to touch something with a "wet paint" on it.  Kids do stupid stuff.  They also tend not to believe it if a parent tells them that if they do one thing something else will happen.  You probably know your own son well enough to know if he was trying to cause you trouble, or just doing something "dumb" because kids do that stuff.  Some kids would do that kind of thing out of curiosity (and not believing what you say about it), and then feel bad afterward.  Maybe he does feel bad now that he sees for himself that accounts do get closed.  On the other hand, if he's a kid who frequently,  intentionally, does stuff just to make trouble; whether or not he got your AdSense account closed may be the least of your problems - so if that's the case, I can see why you wouldn't let him drive.

8. profile image0
    JeanMeriamposted 14 years ago

So he thought he was doing you a favor and had a genuine interest in the ad. I think that speaks for itself.

I think you are being harsh and overreactive. And if you take this out on your child in this way and tell him he won't drive until he moves out, he might move out much sooner than you think. This is just not worth it.

Did you tell him not to click ads? My guess is he didn't know. You can't punish someone if they didn't know the rule.It really is unfair. How do you feel about losing your adsense account when you didn't even know a rule was being broken? He probably feels the same way.

I have 5 teens and I know sometimes it feels like it never ends, but you have to take each thing as a new thing, not a build up of everything. Learn to let go or you will drive yourself crazy.

9. relache profile image72
    relacheposted 14 years ago

If Google's AdSense was so important to you and whatever you do on the Internet, why didn't you educate your teen about not clicking on ads on your own sites?

10. IzzyM profile image87
    IzzyMposted 14 years ago

I think you made the point to your kid not to click on the ads, and he must have done it more than once, they would not suspend your account for just one click!
    By all means take away his driving privileges or whatever. He did wrong and must be punished, but not for more than a month or two. He will have learned his lesson by then.
    If you do get another adsense account (and from all accounts you will need not only a new email address, but a new physical address and name too, but I'm sure that could be arranged through a close relative), ban your kids from your site.

11. tantrum profile image61
    tantrumposted 14 years ago

What a terrible form to raise kids !! yikes

Then parents complain, kids don't talk to them !

GOD !!!

lol

1. IzzyM profile image87
      IzzyMposted 14 years agoin reply to this

How else do kids learn right from wrong if their parents don't care enough to punish them?

The kid was told not to click the ads, and he clicked them.

It's not as if his dad battered him or physically punished him, merely took away his most precious privilege.

That is how kids learn right from wrong, and that in this world there are boundaries on what is acceptable beaviour and what isn't.

1. tantrum profile image61
        tantrumposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I don't agree.

But I'm not going to debate.
        I see life and learning methods from other perspective.

I think adults easily forget they were kids once, and they commit on their siblings the same mistakes their parents committed on them.

12. Faybe Bay profile image65
    Faybe Bayposted 14 years ago

Hey I have been in touch with Karlscabin. He said the main reason for this post was to show his son that it was the clicking that caused the problems.

I have directed him to hubs that will help him figure out other ways to monetize. He is new, and was so excited. I tried at the outset to reign him in, but he's type A, so that's didn't happen.

13. Miss Chriss profile image58
    Miss Chrissposted 14 years ago

Let's see... So your son, was trying to help you out for one, and for another had a genuine interest in what he saw....

Made a complete and innocent mistake...

And he's in such deep shit?

It was an accident. If he gets punished for making an attempt at doing something nice for you, what kind of lesson would that teach him? Most parents aren't even lucky enough to have teenagers that will take the time to interact with him. They would be happy if their kid shared their interests with them. Why push him away with such a harsh and unjust punishment?

So he was being irresponsible. He's not an adult. From your post, it didn't even seem like you gave him a fair warning not to do that in the first place, but if you assume that your son did more clicks after you expressed to him the importance not to, then you have to ask why?

Maybe there's some certain meaning to it, maybe not. Do you think he would really try to stop your Hubpages activity? If so, why? Do you think he was being malicious? Probably not, considering he was just trying to help you out. Spend too much time here? Maybe he wanted his pop off the computer for once.

You're an adult. No, better, you're a father. You really can't sit down with your own son and come to some logical, fair conclusions? Try harder next time.

14. ruanz3 profile image59
    ruanz3posted 14 years ago

How can you expect adsense to give you another chance if you are not willing to give your kid another chance? I dont get it.

15. The10DollarMark profile image60
    The10DollarMarkposted 14 years ago

If you told him not to do it (and I mean really told him, not just a mutter in passing), then he should be punished.

But I do think that taking car privileges until he moves out is way harsh. That's more of a punishment for a kid doing drugs than for a kid who thought he could help you out without keeping in mind your warning not to do it. Especially when you consider that earning well on adsense is not something everyone is good at- for all you know you may make only 1$ a month.

I say a good talk about listening to parents, and about the consequences of doing things that can get others in trouble, and maybe a *small* punishment like being grounded for a week or two.

Though if your punishment is to tell him he'll never drive his car again, and then you rebuke it two weeks later, that might be ok. Kind of like "ok, I'm letting you get off the punishment but think hard about what you did" sort of thing.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)