Viewing hubs on mobile browser

Jump to Last Post 1-19 of 19 discussions (24 posts)
  1. pauldeeds profile imageSTAFF
    pauldeedsposted 13 years ago

We recently rolled out a change that makes viewing hubs using a mobile browser a better experience.  Basically, we've removed the sidebar and stripped away anything that wasn't essential.  We've tested it on the iphone and some versions of android and it works pretty well.  However, it is still very much a work in progress.  We'd appreciate any feedback you have, especially if you're on another platform.  (if you don't like the mobile view, there is a link in the footer that allows you to switch back to viewing the site normally)

Hubs are by far the most commonly visited page on mobile devices so we started there.   Eventually we'll have mobile versions of some of the other important pages as well.

Mobile devices are currently responsible for about 3% of the visits to HubPages.  Currently we do not display any ads on hubs viewed by mobile devices.  We are exploring various options for monetizing those views, and we'll let you know if and when anything changes there.

1. dohn121 profile image82
      dohn121posted 13 years agoin reply to this

I just noticed this today while I was reading some hubs on my smartphone (I have  a Samsung Intrepid by the way).  Since it uses Windows 6.5 I have no other choice but to view it through Internet Explorer.  However, I really do like it now as I don't have to zoom in anymore--the view is nearly perfect as I don't have to go side-to-side either to see photos while reading text.  This is a definite improvement!

Thanks for the upgrade, Paul!  Much appreciated!

Dohn

2. soni2006 profile image79
      soni2006posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Google has started Google SMS Channel in India and I have subscribed my friends to my channel IMPROVE YOUR HEALTH and I send them 3 useful links to hubs on health which I and some of other hubbers are writing on a daily basis. As this system is totally dependable on mobile devices, my friends will find it more easier to navigate and read the appropriate information. Thanks a lot Mr. Paul Deeps for updating hubpages with mobile devices.

2. profile image0
    wordscribe41posted 13 years ago

That's great, Paul.  I wonder if it will make voting any easier...?  A couple of friends couldn't vote for my contest hubs or hubnuggets on their mobile devices.  It'll be intersting to see if the changes affect that capacity.  Cheers, Paul!

3. LaVieja profile image60
    LaViejaposted 13 years ago

Does it work on a Blackberry? I won't try it until you specifically mention it because the last time I did it was just too big and crashed! Look forward to it though because it will be very handy. Thanks

1. Lisa HW profile image62
      Lisa HWposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I just saw this question, and I'm guessing you've already got the answer; but just in case..     It works really well on Blackberry.  I have bookmarks to a lot of my Hubs (as part of "organizing" writing).  It's handy.

4. profile image0
    girly_girl09posted 13 years ago

I frequently use HP on my Blackberry. I use two browsers - Opera and the generic Blackberry browser.

I just started noticing that the hub font size is much larger on both browsers, compared to what it used to be. The text is only bigger in hubs I browse, not on the front page.

Over all, Opera is not bad for browsing HP. HP loads pretty fast with Opera and that is just on a regular cellular network (not 4G, for example). The new change that removed the sidebar from mobile browsing has really been beneficial, in my opinion.

The Blackberry browser is useless for browsing almost any website except for RSS feeds (slowwwww), so I really have no feedback on that one except like Opera, the text now looks really big on Hubs, which makes them a bit harder to read.

I would say the font would be equivalent to size 14 or 16 on a PC....just a guess.

5. Faybe Bay profile image64
    Faybe Bayposted 13 years ago

This is really cool because my brother reads all of my hubs on his Iphone! I am glad you made this change as he is always on the run and trying to keep up with my writing.

6. climberjames profile image58
    climberjamesposted 13 years ago

This is great, thanks!!

7. profile image0
    Twenty One Daysposted 13 years ago

Paul, I have a Blackberry, so the browser gives me the full page view -with zoom or a column view.
    It loads in a flash!

Speaking of mobile. Might be jumping the gun: any chance HubWorld will be making it possible to publish over mobile as well as an App for iPhone, Android or Blackberry?

I travel some, as do others and would be neat if we could publish on-the-fly.

Cheers.

8. G Miah profile image78
    G Miahposted 13 years ago

Cheers Paul. I haven't been able to find that link to revert back to normal view. I wanted to check my stats for a hub, but this mobile version does not allow me to do so on some hubs.

Other than that, i think this is a really good move.

Keep up the good work HP!

9. alexandriaruthk profile image60
    alexandriaruthkposted 13 years ago

now my sister can read me anywhere she goes, thank you Paul!

10. Jen's Solitude profile image85
    Jen's Solitudeposted 13 years ago

Hubpages does load faster for me now. I use opera too. Thanks for the improvement, I can look forward to reading hubs on my phone now.

11. marler13 profile image60
    marler13posted 13 years ago

I noticed that on my Bberry gj guys.

12. Whitney05 profile image82
    Whitney05posted 13 years ago

It looks about the same as it did before for me. I'm using a Palm Pre. Maybe it's just been a while since I've pulled up HubPages on my phone.

13. Internetwriter62 profile image76
    Internetwriter62posted 13 years ago

I think it's great that you are finding better ways of getting Hub Pages out there. Being able to view Hub Pages on a portable device such as a cell phone really helps with exposure and gets more of articles read, resulting in more clicks. Which is a win, win situation for all of us. It also give people who are bored something to read, when they are not close to a computer.

14. relache profile image72
    relacheposted 13 years ago

I am posting from my brand-new iPad.  I'll be sending admin some detailed feedback later this eve.  Some parts of the HubPages experience work just fine, and some don't.

15. lakeerieartists profile image63
    lakeerieartistsposted 13 years ago

relache, how big are they?  Is it more like a kindle?  I don't really understand exactly what they are?

1. relache profile image72
      relacheposted 13 years agoin reply to this

My best explanation I can offer is one of my newest Hubs

http://hubpages.com/hub/ipad-owner

2. Whitney05 profile image82
      Whitney05posted 13 years agoin reply to this

HP Slate is coming out with something similar with more features and double the battery life. I'm waiting for that one. It's cheaper that the iPad, as well.

I'm still not seeing any difference in HubPages on a mobile browser with my phone. Does it only work for certain phones?

16. lakeerieartists profile image63
    lakeerieartistsposted 13 years ago

okay, i must have missed that one.  i will check it out. smile  thanks.

17. Research Analyst profile image73
    Research Analystposted 13 years ago

I was just thinking that now there will be hybrids of the iPad from other companies.

18. profile image0
    mtsi1098posted 13 years ago

I just tried getting to my profile from a PSP and it was ok, not great but ok.  I changed the display mode between normal, just-fit and smart-fit.

19. browsed profile image58
    browsedposted 13 years ago

thanks

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)