jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (11 posts)

yukky ad - how do i shrink it?

1. danielmybrother profile image80
    danielmybrotherposted 9 years ago

The Newby Chronicles, Pt. 17: Google has placed a long skinny ad that disrupts my Hub (not yet published) by cutting it in half. Can anyone tell me how to downsize this or get rid of it? I've tried on AdSense and can't seem to figure it out.
    Daniel

danielmybrotherposted 9 years ago in reply to this

Hi Mark. I tried your suggestion but the drop-down menu only allowed "High." Under the Help section, I found this:
      "Ads - Ads must be set to high for Hubs that may be considered commercial or link to another site."
      I don't get it -- wouldn't that cover almost all Hubs?

1. relache profile image84
        relacheposted 9 years ago in reply to this

If you link to any site that runs advertising of its own or earns money in any way (without it being a non-profit site), your Hub will be considered commercial.

danielmybrotherposted 9 years ago in reply to this

oh. well, guess then it's that timeless question of choosing Art or filthy lucre.

2. Mark Knowles profile image60
    Mark Knowlesposted 9 years ago

set the ad level to low or medium in edit mode big_smile

3. gamergirl profile image61
    gamergirlposted 9 years ago

Not all hub content would be considered 'commercial.'  Though, I suppose by using Adsense and revenue capsules you're making a commercial venture out of non-commercial content.

Bah, not enough caffeine to try and think about this stuff..

Mark - come have Kona with me?

1. Mark Knowles profile image60
      Mark Knowlesposted 9 years ago in reply to this

Oh yes smile Thanks for the invite. Black with a little sugar please big_smile

daniel - I guess it depends on the content of your hub. You can set them to non-commercial if they are "non-commercial," smile

And no - a poem with a link to a poetry site would not be considered commercial I would think. Niot sure though - All my hubs are commercial LOL

4. danielmybrother profile image80

hmmmm, well maybe i'll just remove the commercial stuff. thnx.

5. danielmybrother profile image80

Mark and Gamer Girl,
    Figured it out: All I had to do was uncheck the little box that says "This Hub may be considered commercial." Thanks again!

6. Inspirepub profile image82
    Inspirepubposted 9 years ago

Daniel,

If the long skinny ad cutting your Hub in half is a horizontal one, then you can manipulate the position of the ads by understanding how the placement algorithm works.

I started a thread a month or six weeks ago about the problem, and Paul Deeds explained how it works.

The summary of the issue which caused this problem for me was that they put a full-width ad block as high up as they can, which is usually after your first text capsule.

If you have "floated right" pictures and text boxes and link boxes, and those go further down the page then the text in the first capsule, then the rest of the left column will be blank down to below the full-width ad.

The only way to deal with this is to pack enough text into your first capsule to make it run past anything you have floated in it.

Jenny

7. danielmybrother profile image80

I decided I didn't like that ad  period, so I changed the ad status per Mark Knowles' suggestion and it went away. It just looked cheesy. This info will come in handy, however -- especially a tutorial. thanks, Jenny!

working