Related Hubs, Forums & Questions

Jump to Last Post 1-2 of 2 discussions (6 posts)
  1. skyfire profile image80
    skyfireposted 14 years ago

We have related hubs, forums and question columns in the right hand sidebar on every hub that we post. Many times you can see that related hubs are not at all related to the theme of our hubs.I think this damages most of the hubs.

http://img710.imageshack.us/img710/2262/relatedhub.png
    (I know these images are not good example but i'm just giving hint about this,some hubbers can give you better example of mismatched hubs).

Is it possible to have a option to discard/flag some hubs which are not related to our hubs ?

One more thing is that Why we have related Forums and Questions section on hub ?

http://img255.imageshack.us/img255/2953/relatedqna.png

Is it possible to have a option to remove it if we don't want ? I mean most of us want reader to exit our hub by either clicking relevant hubs or by clicking ads on our hubs or pressing x on tabs. I don't think there is any benefit by allowing readers to go to relevant forums or questions.

So two suggestions:

1.Is it possible to have a option to discard/flag some hubs which are not related to our hubs ?

2.Is it possible to have option to remove related forums/question box in sidebar if we don't want ?

1. SiddSingh profile image60
      SiddSinghposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I think Hubpages admin would be very interested in keeping a reader as long on HP as possible, and would give them all sorts of options for that.

1. skyfire profile image80
        skyfireposted 14 years agoin reply to this

As whitney pointed out, this suggestion will not proceed further which is sad. sad anyway moving on..I've a theory here that if we minimize distraction for readers we'll get more clicks on ads or we'll get more internal traffic or else exit. (Answers/forums is not beneficial to us(members) as they're not relevant in many ways and i don't know how it is beneficial to HP )

2. Marisa Wright profile image85
      Marisa Wrightposted 14 years agoin reply to this

When this happens to me, I ask myself why HubPages would pick those Hubs?  I usually find it's related to my tags - I've found it helps to remove tags that are too general or vague (I've been told that helps SEO, too). 

The related forums and questions section is a recent addition and I agree with you - I detest it.  The Questions section is full of dumb questions which I hate seeing associated with my Hub - and the forums often have jokey threads which sound relevant but aren't really.

I'm disappointed no one from the HubPages team has responded to this, either in this thread or the last one.  I'm also not quite sure what the benefit is of having the questions/forums section there, especially as it doesn't work all that well.

2. Whitney05 profile image82
    Whitney05posted 14 years ago

This has been brought up before with no response from HP team if I can remember correctly.

I remember last year trying to find the similarities on some of the "related hubs" that were featured on my hub, and couldn't find any. At first I thought that the related hubs were by category instead of tags, but that wasn't the case either.

I think the related hubs are better than they used to be, but still not ideal on a lot of hubs.

No we cannot flag hubs that are not related, and no we do not have the ability to remove form and questions. Hubpages has some formula, I assume, that picks those and puts them there. We do not have an option for that.

1. Art 4 Life profile image60
      Art 4 Lifeposted 14 years agoin reply to this

can anyone tell me why my adsense google account wont work...I have tried and tried to sign up but it just doesnt go through....

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)