"looking through new eyes" hub, what do you think about it?

Jump to Last Post 1-3 of 3 discussions (6 posts)
  1. YoungWife profile image61
    YoungWifeposted 13 years ago

I've never been very smart. I was always the one in the back of the class hidding behind the big kid so that teacher wouldnt see me to call on me. The last two years of high school were the only years in my life that i ever got an A. My childhood wasnt excatly what you would call great, or even good for that matter. I was always quiet at home and would keep my lights off so my dad wouldnt think I was home, he seemed to get a thrill out of making my life misserable. School wasnt much better, I had a hard time making friends and a worse time consentrating in class. I would hear the teacher say something and my mind would just run with it. We could be learning about the civil war and the slaves that were saved and only in moments i could see in my head the large greed and white fields spread across the land. I could see the slaves in those fields their faces tired and worn from work, sweat shinning on their dark beautiful skin. Women with babies strapped to their backs as they worked and the slightly older children playing in the dirt of helping. Men working just as hard and sometimes harder theirs dark almost coal like eyes dull and hopeless. I could hear their songs meant to lift their spirits as they worked echoing in my ears. I would all ways snap back to reality with the teacher leaning onto my desk and in my face. Mrs. Barber, was the worst of the worst. She loved to taunt me with my stupidity. She would hand us back our graded papers everyday before we left class to go home. "And Kylee has gotten another F," she would hold up the paper to show the rest of the class and humiliate me with it. It was only the 5th grade but i felt like i was ready to die. A girl came up to me at rescess one day, her blonde hair in pigtales and her light blue eyes compassionate, she told me that she couldnt be caught talking to me because she would get and F for the day. What type of teacher issolates a student like that. She would yell at me for taking so long in the bathroom in front of everyone or make me read something off the board when she knew i couldnt see it from that far away. I hated everything about the woman right down to the roots of her dyed hair. All I ever wanted was to fit in and have friends, that was all i ever dreamed of was to be normal. Whatever the hell normal is anyway. I remember the worst day of my young elementry life, it was the day afters girls night out. You know where they tell you all about your girl parts and how they work.My mom had advised me to take with me to keep in my desk an extra pair of underwear. So i took with me and hid in the back corner of my desk my childish panties with 'Wednsday' printed on the front. Mrs. Barber took the liberty of showing the whole entire class my embarrassing panties. I ran out of the class room and into the hall despite the threats from Mrs. Barber and ended up falling right on my face in the hall. Pam Prat the principle at SkyWay Elementy at the time just laughed and as she walked by she said to me, "Have a nice trip see you next fall." No compassion like, "Are you alright, let me help you up." Nothing like that at all just a cruel joke and i was the punch line.
    Now that I am nearly 20 years old and have graduated from Bridge Academy i find myself fortunate enought to have one of my books on its way to becomeing published and my life has been good and though I still have trouble making or keeping friends i live on with my life. I was diagnosed with ADD when i was in middle school which some people often mix up with ADHD, they are two completely different thing, ADD just means i have a hard time keeping my attention on one thing but i dont have to be constantly moving or bouncing. I just day dreamed alot. Now recently I have learned that i have Asperger's Syndrome, I have been refusing to believe it for a long time and havent been tested but all the signs match perfectly for me. My life hasnt been easy and it might have gone a little smoother if the school would have helped me instead of humiliating me. My life would have been slightly differnt, perhaps a whole lot different. . .we'll know. But I like who I am today, strong and confident. I trust and love many people, I am dependable and loyal to a fault. But that is not to say my life is perfect just that i have the right people with me now. =]

2. torimari profile image67
    torimariposted 13 years ago

It's a nice piece and has lots of emotion and personal experience in it to back it up. I feel many can relate. There are some grammar issues. 'I' is always capitalized, and you spells some words wrong like 'recess' as 'rescess' and pigtails as 'pigtales.' There were a few others I believe.

I also think you might want to flow into your ADD diagnosis more smoothly. It is kind of just dropped in there out of no where in the end. I understand you are comparing your supposed stupidity which was apparently ADD in the end...but it's still not too clear. smile

Otherwise, keep writing and it's a good hub.

YoungWifeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

thank you very much for your input, i am not a very good speller to begin with but i type so fast that my fingers sort of get away from me sometimes so, i suppose I should slow it down. Thank you very much for your advice.

1. Marisa Wright profile image84
        Marisa Wrightposted 13 years agoin reply to this

YoungWife, there's a spell checker on your Hub.  Just save your text capsule, then open it again and look for the red underlines.

To get advice on a Hub, post a link to it in this forum - don't re-post the whole Hub. 

Welcome to HubPages.

3. IzzyM profile image86
    IzzyMposted 13 years ago

What a rotten school time you had...if I was you I would name and shame the school -I'm not a teacher but if I was I think I'd feel the hackles rising too - no school should treat a pupil the way you were treated.

Way to go on the writing kid! You'll do OK and welcome to Hubpages smile

YoungWifeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

thank you very much, ya school was rough first 3rd grade then 5th but i have always dreamed of telling her just what she did to me in person. ha ha. But because of my experiences my mother has made me the go to person at my little brother & sisters schools, when the teacher is stepping out of line, mom sends me in ha ha. I am pretty thrilled with the life I am leading now, soon to be married to the most magnificent and brilliant man I've ever met. My career is taking off and my family is finally proud of me for something smile My younger siblings look up to me and I find myself giving them relationship advice ha ha. I feel pretty fortunate now and I have learned through all that has happened to me that I am worth more than how I was treated and always gone out of my way to help anyone and every one. Because my goal is to never have anyone have a bad memory about me. smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)