Can I Have Some Assistance?

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (22 posts)
  1. Cagsil profile image71
    Cagsilposted 13 years ago

Hey Hubbers,

I mean VETERAN Hubs, Internet techies?

Recently I was having a conversation with another hubber about a hub that they just produced.

I saw the hub when it was published and noticed a problem in the title of the hub and then proceeded to the hub, to check if the same mistake was made in the creation of the URL?

I found that the error was the same?

Now, considering the title and the URL are made the same, at the time of writing a hub and once published the URL cannot be changed.

The title can be changed, but not the URL.

My question is HOW much will it hurt the hub or not?

The title had a word mis-spelled and the same word is mis-spelled in the URL.

Opinions on what the best course of action?

Please and Thank you in advance.

Cagsil

1. katiem2 profile image60
      katiem2posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Great question Cagsil, I've often wanted to change titles after publication, looking forward to learning.  Thanks for asking.  Peace smile

1. lxxy profile image61
        lxxyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I often abuse the english language and mutate words, one of my newer hubs has a word misspelled in the title but it was done out of effect and not error. Cryptic titles are my specialty, raking in the money is someone elses. wink

But in all seriousness a lot of information on the web isn't cataloged with a URL that clearly states "what it is," it's generally a lot of autogenerated mumbo jumbo. But if a writer frequently misspells something, I do wonder about credibility.

2. lxxy profile image61
    lxxyposted 13 years ago

Well, I think that with keyword tags and writing up a "summary" yourself will go a long way. URLs aren't what's important when you go Googling and looking stuff up, it's the content on the page and the keywords you've placed there.

3. Cagsil profile image71

Thank you smile

4. SunSeven profile image61
    SunSevenposted 13 years ago

1. Unpublish and re-publish correcting the smelling pistakes.
    2. If you feel that more people will be searching the net using those errors in spelling, let it stay published, because you will be getting some unique traffic.

Best Regards smile

5. Cagsil profile image71

Thank you SunSeven

6. IzzyM profile image87
    IzzyMposted 13 years ago

I'm not a veteran but I hope I'm allowed to answer.
    The URL cannot be changed. If it's a new hub, it is possible to delete the hub and copy the whole thing into a new correctly spelled URL.
    BUT, considering that at least half the population can't spell, it might be more prudent to correct the spelling in the hub title and leave the mistake in the URL.
    You'll catch all the misspellers in the search engines.

1. lxxy profile image61
      lxxyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Just as SunSeven pointed out, this is true. But again, keywords are also handy. And if elements of the title are repeated in the hub (which I sure are) but spelled correctly, Google may pick that up etc.

7. IzzyM profile image87
    IzzyMposted 13 years ago

LOL, Sunseven beat me to it (and said it more eloquently)!

8. Cagsil profile image71

Izzy you're always allowed to answer. I was just hoping to get someone to provide more information. The answers here so far are already known.

It isn't my problem, but was the problem of someone else. This person has already deleted the hub and made a new one.

However, I was looking for more information about it. I get that a lot of people cannot spell, but in all seriousness, I would find it difficult for myself, to publish a hub where the words are not spelled correct, including the URL.

When I do searches, I always pay attention to the URL for which I am headed to, because the title can say something completely different than the URL.

When writing a hub at HubPages, you first start out creating the URL? Thus, your title is the same as the URL. After creation, that title can change to someone completely different, but works with the URL in combination.

If the URL has mis-spelled words-- I do not visit the site. wink smile

1. katiem2 profile image60
      katiem2posted 13 years agoin reply to this

I agree, I've seen hubs with typos in the title and it bugs me, the desire to fix it won't rest, opps did I just let my Atype out ot the bag.... Great topic Cagsil.   wink

Cagsilposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Thank you kind lady. smile big_smile

9. frogdropping profile image78
    frogdroppingposted 13 years ago

I have a hub that as an accidental speeling mistake in the title. It does it no harm.

If the title still reflects the url, all will be fine. I often write a short url, longer title. I've been known to revisit a hub and alter the title, making sure the keyword is still in it. A little imagination usually does the trick.

TBH - the title change has usually improved the hubs readership smile

Thank you Frog. smile

Btw- Nice to see you as always. smile How are you? smile

10. sagebrush_mama profile image59
    sagebrush_mamaposted 13 years ago

On a side note, as this is interesting, and I guess I've been doing things backwards, creating my titles without thinking much about URL's...

I seem to notice in the Google adwords tool that mis-spelled search terms seem to have a higher CPC than correctly spelled counterparts much of the time.  Any insights on that?

1. Appletreedeals profile image67
      Appletreedealsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

with Google always offering the corrected spelling search link at the top of the serp - I wonder if mis-spelled keywords are even an issue anymore.

could the higher cpc be a hold-over from when mis-spelled words were a "search secret tool"?

when I mis-spell a search term I always click the corrected spelling link for serp - so maybe I think other searchers would too.

GA

1. sagebrush_mama profile image59
        sagebrush_mamaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You might be right.  I don't always click that corrected spelling...depends on what I see right away below it.

11. thisisoli profile image68
    thisisoliposted 13 years ago

I would say it depends which word in the URL is mis-spelled. 

If for instance the word 'the' was spelled 'tah' it wouldn't be a big deal.

However if the keyword 'locks' was 'looks', or even a type that didn't make another word, then chances are your article will be replaced in Google by someone who can spell.

Remmeber Google looks for relevance to those searching, if somebody wants information on something, then they will damn well sure want a source which can spell, and has put in the effort to get the URL right, never mind research what is written.

Thank you Thisisoli. Much appreciated.

The word was "attempt" and it was spelled "attemt". I do not know if that would change your outlook?

But, then again, I figure if there was an error, it would be prudent to copy the hub into another URL on the same basis and correct the error.

1. Lifeallstar1 profile image60
        Lifeallstar1posted 13 years agoin reply to this

I personally would be bothered by it. I would have unpublished the hub and then edited it and republished. It's hard to know what you can and cannot do on here since you are limited to Hubpages and not your own site. You don't have the power that you would have if it was your own site, using your own code. 

If I couldn't do it that way, I would have asked Hubpages to go in and fix it, if they would do that. However, your friend fixed it by copying it and redoing it so all is AOK.

You can change a URL though, just so you know. The question is will Hubpages allow it with the way things are set up, probably not if the unpublish , edit, republish doesn't work.  I might go try it and see. We can't go into safe mode or use dos here to program so it's a little different. They should be able to but probably wouldn't bother for one persons URL.

12. blondepoet profile image67
    blondepoetposted 13 years ago

Hi Cags I am not as well informed as these guys to comment but I can assist with taking blood pressure and your temperature seeming I am a nurse and all that. smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)