Hi, I am new to Hub and would love an informed opinion please.

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (19 posts)
  1. Aiden Roberts profile image69
    Aiden Robertsposted 13 years ago

Hi there,

I stumbled across Hub pages today for the first time, what a fantastic site; I am hooked already.

I couldn't resist having ago so sat down and wrote 2 hubs

http://hubpages.com/hub/BasicPuppyTraining

http://hubpages.com/hub/BeatingWritersBlock

I have written for a number of years but only for fun, this is my very first attempt at writing on the net so be honest; have I got a future?

Thank you very much in advance.

2. Ohma profile image60
    Ohmaposted 13 years ago

Aiden Welcome to HP.

I am glad you found the site and I hope you enjoy it as much as I do.

Aiden Robertsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Thank you for your kind words.

3. Sparhawke profile image61
    Sparhawkeposted 13 years ago

You have potential, jsut as everyone else and it is a learning curve smile

One thing I would notice right now is that you remove the hyphens in the URl, I dont know whether this affects your SEO or not but I don't generally see people doing it...

Also leave your hubs for a day or two before publishing them, as that will bring the score upto around 60 or so, and give a greater chance that people will read them.

When they drop below 50 people assume they are just spam, by waiting it will likely rise and you will tend to attract more readers as a result smile

It will also help your hubscore and eventually help you get ever closer to a score of the godly 100, where you will find far more people willing to read just because of the apparent quality smile

There are a few hubbers I recommend:

Relache

Rebecca E

Mark Knowles

There are awesomely knowledgable and will help you on your journey, but I should just say now that if you do not see money immediately don't panic, it takes a few months to build up the traffic in most cases but backlinking and other things can help.

Make sure you get an adsense account and get your publisher ID in the settings smile

4. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 13 years ago

Welcome to HubPages Aiden.

Your two hubs are presently too short. I would suggest adding a little bit more content.

(a) follow the link I provide to Darkside "Capsule" hub. You will see why once you read it. http://hubpages.com/hub/capsules

(b) a few other links by Frogdropping for you to read as well.
    http://hubpages.com/hub/Hubpages-Help
    http://hubpages.com/hub/hubpages-blueprint

(c) another hub to read is by Sunforged - about SEO tips.
    http://hubpages.com/hub/Get-Website-Tra … -earn-from
    http://hubpages.com/hub/Writing-for-mon … nt-revenue

There are plenty more you can learn from too - Nelle Hoxie, Relache, Thisisoli, and Ryankett.

Hope that was helpful. smile

Wow thanks for the advice, this is what I need.
      What a brilliant communit, i will study all of these hubs you have suggested.
      Thank you very much.

1. Cagsil profile image70
        Cagsilposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You're welcome. I do hope you enjoy your time here. smile

5. Aiden Roberts profile image69
    Aiden Robertsposted 13 years ago

Hi Sparhawke, thank you for your reply.

i am a liitle unsure what you mean by leaving the hyphens out? I think Hubpages put them in automatically, then again I could be wrong so i will see if I can remove them.

When you say don't publish the hub for a day or two, do you mean write it and save it but don't publish it?

Probably seem like very basic questions but i did say I was new to this.

Thanks ever so much for your time and advice; it is much appreciated.

1. Sparhawke profile image61
      Sparhawkeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Dont remove them, leave them in as when people are searching for hubs on puppy training they will look for "training puppies" with the space but not "trainingpuppies" smile

Yes, write the hub and edit it, but wait a day or two until you actually publish...my trilby hats one was having a score of 49 when i wrote it but it started rising to 64 before I published.

The higher the score before publishing the generally better...75+ is great because then they become dofollow, which means that those hubpages can be used to link to others and is in effect a vote on the quality of them, giving them a boost in search engines smile

Sometimes you will have hubs that just will not rise in score though, dont worry about it and it happens to us all lol

Brilliant!
        Thanks once again.

2. Aiden Roberts profile image69

Ah Yes now I understand but here is my problem, can I put the hyphens back in? If so how?
        Thanks

6. Cagsil profile image70

Hey Aiden, I think what Hawke is trying to say is that the Hubscore of your hub will go up, as you leave it unpublished. However, it will not go up, unless you continue to go to it.

An unpublished hub is useless, unless you are adding to it, visiting it, editing it daily. You visiting your own hubs increases the traffic, which is tied to the Hubscore.

To learn more about it- see Darkside's hub about Hubscore.
    http://hubpages.com/hub/Hubscore

Makes sense, thanks.

7. Cagsil profile image70

There is no reason for putting the hyphens back in. The search engines discard them anyways. wink

Thanks

Brilliant tips on the hubs you recommended.
      Thank you very much

8. EarthTart profile image60
    EarthTartposted 13 years ago

Hi. I am a new hubber, joined yesterday and published only one hub. I am curious as to what the regulations are for posting a hub on a topic that may have already been covered (although quite poorly). Thank you for your response and your time. :-)

1. Uninvited Writer profile image79
      Uninvited Writerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It doesn't matter, you can write on any topic no matter how many others have written on it. Just as long as it's original and your own content.

1. EarthTart profile image60
        EarthTartposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Thank you for your feedback to my post.
        I don't  want to step on anyone's toes or hubs.... but I do think that hubbers could give more accurate info in their hubs and I am wondering if it is okay if I expand on that information?

1. IzzyM profile image86
          IzzyMposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Of course you can - so long as you write your own words and not someone else's as UV said. Welcome to Hubpages smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)