Which hubbers visit your hub ?

Jump to Last Post 1-25 of 25 discussions (38 posts)
  1. bluewings profile image61
    bluewingsposted 16 years ago

Would it be possible to have a feature that let's you see which hubbers are the latest to visit your hub ? I understand that it can be known when hubbers comment on the hub , but not all do.So can there be a feature that let's you see which hubbers ( fans or not) visited the hub (just to give an example-something like mybloglog has )

2. SunSeven profile image63
    SunSevenposted 16 years ago

I think its a good idea. smile

3. relache profile image72
    relacheposted 16 years ago

Other hub authors are less likely to click on my ads or make a retail purchase.  I'm not nearly as interested in them visiting my Hubs as I am people from outside the site.

4. futonfraggle profile image67
    futonfraggleposted 16 years ago

I think it would be a good feature. If I read a hub I like and the ads correspond with the topic of the hub, I check out the ads and browse. That's the name of the game right? It's a community.

1. Dorsi profile image86
      Dorsiposted 16 years agoin reply to this

I agree, we are not only writers here but also consumers. If I see a relevant google I will click on it, if it's something I'm interested in. There are hubbers here that write about things I am very enthusiastic about, like gardening and animals, among others.............
      We should not be afraid to click on these ads for fear of reprisal, after all we buy and consume products too, so it only makes sense!

1. embitca profile image84
        embitcaposted 16 years agoin reply to this

You keeping saying this. And yet you are so wrong. You should in fact be afraid of reprisal if someone ever reports you to Google for even talking about stuff like this. Trust me, they would cancel your Adsense account in a heartbeat.

It is in the TOS of Adsense to NOT encourage people to click on ads and while they are generally talking about the pages on which your ads appear.... there is no reason they couldn't apply it to any discussion at all. By encouraging other people to click Adsense ads, you are, in all likelihood, breaking the TOS.

From the Google Adsense TOS:

Encouraging clicks

In order to ensure a good experience for users and advertisers, publishers may not request that users click the ads on their sites or rely on deceptive implementation methods to obtain clicks.

2. profile image0
        terrygposted 16 years agoin reply to this

I agree. Thats what the program is for. I do not see any fraudulent click activity with that.

I don't think Dorsi is saying "Hey come click my ads" but "if it interests me when I visit another site - I can". Big difference.

This is what she said:

We should not be afraid to click on these ads for fear of reprisal, after all we buy and consume products too, so it only makes sense!

She's not just saying what she is doing, she's saying that we should all be doing it. That is a big difference .... one that I think crosses the line to "encouraging clicks".

1. profile image0

I don't see it that way so I guess we will have to agree to disagree.

5. relache profile image72
    relacheposted 16 years ago

If such a visitor reporting feature was implemented, how would the users on this site who review lenses and report spam and other TOS violations be protected from retaliation by the people whose lenses got flagged?

6. futonfraggle profile image67

That wasn't the impression I was trying to give at all. I guess I should have stated my comment more clearly. What I meant to say was, if you're on a hub or any site that has ads for that matter and you find the content informative--if it contains ads that you're interested in--check them out.

I don't think eBay, Amazon or Google would have a complaint if I bought a book or movie from their site via an ad.

I don't endorse clicking ads for the hell of it. But if you have an interest in a product, why not?

As Paul already mentioned, Ebay and Amazon are entirely different from Google. You as an affiliate don't get paid unless someone buys something.

In the case of Google ads, the advertiser pays when you click on the ad, whether you buy something or not. Google and advertisers are not interested in getting as many clicks as possible, they are interested in quality clicks that will convert.

If you want to click ads on websites in which you don't have a personal interest, on websites where you yourself don't make any money, then click away, but doing it here on Hubpages -- and encouraging other people to do it is unwise.

1. futonfraggle profile image67
        futonfraggleposted 16 years agoin reply to this

Who said this?

I said: "if it contains ads that you're interested in--check them out."

I completely understand the Google Adense TOS. But nobody said anything about persuading people to click their ads or use "deceptive implementation methods."

Who said this? I said that. If you are on a website in which you have no invested interested, then by all means click on Google ads. But you have a vested interested in Hubpages, therefore I think clicking Google ads here is unwise and promoting the clicking of Adsense ads in the Hubpages forums is a form of encouraging clicks.

If you don't think that telling people not to be afraid to click ads is encouraging people to clicks ads.... well then we must understand the English language very differently because I think my interpretation is an easy conclusion to make. If I told you not to be afraid of trying some chocolate cake, wouldn't you think I was encouraging you to have some?

7. bluewings profile image61

Alright , allow me to share my point of view. When suggesting the feature I didn't exactly have google ads in mind , it may or may not help to earn from Google ads. I think what Dorsi was trying to say was that if interested in any link that happens to be a google ad , then we shouldn't be afraid to click on them just out of the fear of reprisal just because they are google ads, but I guess people wanting to check out  the google links would be safe as long as they don't click anything on their own hubs or on their profiles and the intent behind the clicks is curiosity.

Now my real intent behind the suggestion wasn't exactly google ads , but to increase the relevancy and interconnectivity of traffic. The Hubtivity feature has already helped the traffic in a significant way and I felt addition of this feature will further boost targeted traffic as hubbers get to know other hubbers who potentially share their exact interest when they see their (visitor) avatars on their ( author's) hubs.Although I am very open to the disadvantages of such a feature because every feature would have some negatives and it must be weighed against the positives before being implemented and moreover, there is always the question of whether it can at all be implemented .That's my take on this.

8. futonfraggle profile image67

First of all, I didn't realize there was another thread going on about this. For that, I appologize. Secondly, I don't appreciate your tone. All of these scenarios going on in your head--are just that--things going on in YOUR head. I hope you enjoy your imaginary cake and eat it too.

The time I have "vested interested in Hubpages" (yes, we do speak another language) is apparent. I'd rather invest time in writing than continuing this discussion.

9. embitca profile image84
    embitcaposted 16 years ago

Sorry, that should have been "vested interest".

As for my tone, I really don't care whether you appreciate it or not. The scenarios are not in my head. My concerns are based upon an understanding of how quick Google is to respond with account closures any time there's even a whiff of misbehavior.

10. futonfraggle profile image67

I agree that your concerns are valid. I'll consider myself fortunate because they don't apply to me. For a person that claims to value hubpages, you should care about your tone. You're a long-standing member of this community. As such, you're supposed to embrace the "spirit of the community." Let's just call it a misunderstanding and let other hubbers get back to the original topic of discussion (my fault).

11. premsingh profile image60
    premsinghposted 16 years ago

Embetica is correct in her appraisal of things about adsence and clicks. One has to be very cautious about discussing this aspect. Google's TOS are very strict and even you may not get a chance to appeal before that they will terminate your A/C. I think Paul has clarified things very well in other thread. I think hubbers who are not aware of the risks, they should read a hub by searching it "google adsense" (sorry I can't recall the title) in the search box. After reading that hub, hubbers discussing adsense perhaps abstain from it.One thing is clear from pauls argument that a hubber can not click on the ads placed on a hub published by a hubber under his/her referral.

12. embitca profile image84
    embitcaposted 16 years ago

I'm supposed to what? Embrace the "spirit of the community"? lol

13. profile image0
    terrygposted 16 years ago

Well if its such a no no about talking about adsense then why does adsense have its own forum. Have you ever read the stuff in there?

Adsense is by no ways a big green meanie, they understand all about their product and the fact people talk about it. Matt Cutts blog is full of self promotional comments in the blog's comment section and what about Joel Comm? Have they lost their accounts too? Answer NO.

Take a chill pill and don't worry so much about being banned for "talking" about something.

14. SunSeven profile image63

Hey! This is getting ridiculous. The thread starter bluewings never mentioned anything of this sort!. The original post was

Nothing on clicking smile

Best Regards

15. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 16 years ago

Another thread gone off-top big_smile I'm with Embitca, btw smile

To answer the original question - no, I am not interested in that feature. But I can see how people who are mostly interested in their work being read and possibly discussed within the community may like it smile

I have to take some of the blame for taking it so off-topic though, but I knew you'd be with me on this one smile

Honestly, I'm not interested in the feature requested either and while I don't share Relache's concern about retaliation because I don't flag very often, I can see the point.

1. Misha profile image63
        Mishaposted 16 years agoin reply to this

LOL aren't we know each other so long as we can read each other mind? big_smile

16. bluewings profile image61

Thanks for your comments everyone and Misha thanks :-) As Sunseven wrote, when I proposed it    to hear some thoughts ( for or against) I hardly had adsense in my mind ( or even at the back of my mind) and hence, didn't talk about it and didn't check the adsense thread that's been mentioned in two posts in this thread ( I wasn't aware about it), I will do so now.If the idea is accepted and workable then it's fine , but if not , it's no big deal.Didn't expect floating it would turn into a heated discussion though , otherwise, I'd have reconsidered , but thanks for sharing your views.Cheers

17. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 16 years ago

You are welcome Bluewings smile

And I don't think there is any fault of yours, you don't really need to worry about that smile

18. bluewings profile image61

Appreciate that Misha smile

19. SunSeven profile image63

Hey bluewings, the colors of the forums are changed now!

These days high-jacking threads is the norm of the day! LOL

(Just joking)

Welcome back, and have fun smile

bluewingsposted 16 years agoin reply to this

Thanks Sunseven smile

Lol , I don't mind getting hijacked as long as something useful comes out of that experience lol but I guess most of the times I prefer more reading than posting smile

1. profile image0

Yes I too am sorry for hijacking but I do believe something good came out of it. It gave different views for hubbers to make their own informed decision.  As to your idea similiar to myblog, maybe, but personally I would rather rely on the comment section for that.

20. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 16 years ago

LOL SunSeven, you are all over the place smile I enjoy your return, you definitely add to light and love on these forums smile

21. Bonnie Ramsey profile image67
    Bonnie Ramseyposted 16 years ago

I actually think this would be a great tool. I don't use ads at all in my hubs (only 1 out of over 80). I don't even have an adsense account because I just don't use HP for income. However, as a writer, this feature would be very useful to know which hubbers are reading my hubs.

It would be especially useful when deciding whose hubs to read. For example, if I have faithful readers, I would want to be sure to return the loyalty and read their hubs as well. However, when your fan base builds over 100, it gets hard to have time to read a hub from each one of them every day. This could help us determine which hubbers are our loyal fans and we could make sure to visit their hubs as well.

I'm not saying that those will be the only hubs that I read as my interests are broad. However, I could make sure that I make time to be as faithful to those hubbers as they are to me. Seems like a fair exchange of time in a sometimes crazy schedule LOL.

Bonnie

22. firetown profile image61
    firetownposted 16 years ago

only the coolest people in the world visit mine

bluewingsposted 16 years agoin reply to this

In that case, I just became one of the coolest in town ,lol.

23. Mark Bennett profile image60
    Mark Bennettposted 16 years ago

Aww, shucks, Firetown ...

24. bluewings profile image61

Exactly , differences in opinions help in brainstorming not just that idea but others that may be somehow related or affected by the original idea.You really don't need to apologize btw smile I believe diverse perspectives help arrive at more informed and lasting conclusions.

25. SunSeven profile image63
    SunSevenposted 15 years ago

Certainly, I would like to see this here feature soon. smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)