My first 'proper' hub

Jump to Last Post 1-22 of 22 discussions (32 posts)
  1. Spacey Gracey profile image39
    Spacey Graceyposted 13 years ago

Here it is at last, 100+ hubs in, my first 'proper' hub that required effort.

http://hubpages.com/hub/Home-Business-S … ng-Parties

Be gentle with me - I'm still counting myself as new.

I'm already thinking of splitting it because I think the first part sits better in a 'should I start a party plan business' hub.

1. LarasMama profile image61
      LarasMamaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

New? That's awesome. You have more hubs than me and in less time!
      It's a great guide, I'm sure the principles would apply across lots of different "party" type business. Good job!

2. Spacey Gracey profile image39

Thanks LarasMama - is it too big? Do you think I need to split it?

1. LarasMama profile image61
      LarasMamaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Nope actually the more words you have the more chance of getting ranked high - 1500 words or so is great.

It takes about a minimum of at least 500 words for google to take notice.

3. earnestshub profile image83
    earnestshubposted 13 years ago

I think the hub is great. I don't think you should split it though, it is quite informative as it is. smile

4. Spacey Gracey profile image39

Thanks earnestshub - there must be a problem with my stats as its jumped from 2 views to 21 in the last hour? I don't think it can be a Google success that quickly, would be nice though smile

5. Spacey Gracey profile image39

No - I was wrong, Google has listed it already. But not expecting much traffic as there must be so much competition.

6. bojanglesk8 profile image59
    bojanglesk8posted 13 years ago

Nice Hub. I have still yet to write a "proper" Hub.

7. englightenedsoul profile image58
    englightenedsoulposted 13 years ago

Well you may not expect much traffic but you can expect some good earnings from this hub.  It is well written and you have targetted the right keyword phrase.  Your page is currently on the 4th page of google for the search term Home Business party.  This search term has an estimated CPC of $2.06 and global traffic of 14,800 monthly. 
    Though it may be the initial google boost, but i think with effective backlinking and promotion you would easily make it to page 2 or even 1.

Spacey Graceyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

enlightened soul - I think I am in love with you smile

Did you just check that on the Google keyword for me? I did keyword research for all my Amazon hubs, but since I had no idea if I was doing that correctly, I've taken a break from it and just started writing some hubs I felt like writing. How did you know that was the best keyword phrase for it - did you take a guess and put some phrases in or did you cut and paste the URL - I never had much when I did it that way, that's why I'm worried I'm doing it wrong.

As far as the backling goes - I have submitted it to spurl and IM Autmator (which gives 15 social bookmarks). I guess I should popover to SheToldMe (care to doing me wink) - any other suggestions. I've read tons of hubs and forum threads on backlinking but I find it all so contradictory.

1. englightenedsoul profile image58
        englightenedsoulposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You know I am already in love.......with your productivity!!

When I read your hub, I really found it useful as I also organise and host business parties(We have a jewellery business, so have to do that often).  And as you mentioned that this hub  is already indexed,  I first checked your hub for the term 'Successful Home Business Party and it was on page one.  Then I just headed to the keyword tool to see if the term was actually having some decent traffic, but it showed not enough data.  So I just randomly entered a more generic term 'Home Business Party' and found your hub on page 4.

I think your hub can easily make it to the front page.  Though right now I don't bookmark my hubs at social bookmarking sites except shetoldme, xomba, snipsly.  Mail me and I would forward you links to some useful software that may help in your backlinking.

8. profile image0
    Precious Williamsposted 13 years ago

It is a very interesting hub and for what it's worth (having far less experience than you) no I don't think you need to split it.  I'm impressed with your output.

9. Spacey Gracey profile image39

Precious and Laras Mama - thanks - I think I will leave it the length it is then.

10. Spacey Gracey profile image39

big_smile thanks so much - I'm emailing you now.
    I've added Home Business Party to the tag list so hopefull that will help.

And I'll have a play around with the Google tool. The problem I've had in the past is that when I think of something I'd like to write about I get easily put off by the level of competetion so it will be interesting to see where this hub ends up once the dust has settle.

11. LeanMan profile image80
    LeanManposted 13 years ago

Looks good to me, keep on going...

How are the other 100 hubs performing??

12. Spacey Gracey profile image39

Hi LeanMan. I am honestly starting believe I have a limit on 200 views per day - which is rubbish. All week I have had red triangles, and lots of my product hubs have hit new highs (only like 10 views each but there still just babies, only a few weeks old smile ). So I thought I would have some fun and write the Google homepage hub and write this home business hub.

And wow - the Google hub has had 50 views in around 36 hours, and this home business hub has alreay had 32 views and I published it 4 hours ago. So guess what - all my other hubs are dying on their arse today roll. Someone has taken a great big blue triangle stamp and stuck it all over my dashboard!

13. Spacey Gracey profile image39

And if this hub is so great why is the hubscore still so sucky?
    sad
    I wrote it yesterday then tweaked and publish it today. With my boring Amazon hubs that was enough to get me a 60+ score straight away, even if no soul looked at it.

ooh just thought - because I wrote it 10pm BST, and published it around 8am BST - that was all in one day in the US wasn't it. Oops. Hopefully the score will jump up tomorrow then.

1. LeanMan profile image80
      LeanManposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Don't worry too much, I still don't understand fully exactly what makes the hubscore go up and down so much.. I have hubs that vary as much as 10 points during a couple of days.. Most of my "young" hubs take a couple of days to get a score of 70+, I have no idea if that is good or not.. I have an unpublished hub that has only headings on the capsules, that is it at 60?

As to views.. Mine normally achieve 20+ views from hubpages on day 1 then downwards there after.. My older hubs (I've only been here 2 months!) get well over half their views from outside hubpages but not a huge number of hits.. I hope they will improve over time as they gain page rank and I do some more backlinking.. However, even without my new hubs my old ones have doubled their views every 2 weeks or so..

14. englightenedsoul profile image58

Spacey I would like to clear one thing the competition bar you see in the google keyword tool is the advertiser competition and not the publisher competition.  It has little to no effect.  i totally ignore it.  When researching keywords, try putting the keyword in google search and see the PR of pages that appear on page 1.  If most of the pages are PR5 and above then you shouldn't consider that keyword.

And when I said that you can make it to the page for the keyword 'Home Business Party', I checked it in google search and front page has no website having PR more than 3.  And as you are writing on authority site like hubpages(has a PR of 6), it is easy to make it on the front page.

I am doing it wrong then! I wasn't using the competiton bar though. I was clicking in the keyword phrase and seeing how many pages come up with that match. And then adding a "at the start of the phrase to see how many pages came up with a close match. And if both figures were high then I didn't bother using the keyword /phrase.

How do I check the PR of the pages on page 1? And when I look at the google tool for 'Home Business Party' the broad results were as you said but phrase matched and exact match were tiny numbers. But 'home party business' had better phrase and exact match results.

Today is a real eductaion for me - thanks so much for taking the time to help me out.

1. LeanMan profile image80
        LeanManposted 13 years agoin reply to this

There is an add-on for firefox that will allow you to see page rank as well as checking for no-follow links, identifying back links and all sorts of useful stuff..

http://www.quirk.biz/searchstatus/

I just do my search using my keywords then open the first few pages, check page rank, number of links etc.. You will soon see how much you need to do and IF you can beat the competition..

I still use some keywords even though I stand no chance of getting to the first page of google, the reason being I am writing in groups of hubs that are interlinked so even if they will not be found I want the "full set" for links and for the reader to get all the information they need..

15. englightenedsoul profile image58

I am sorry I forgot to select exact there, but it would hardly concern me.  I mean your page can rank good for many keywords.  I just guessed it and used it as an example. 

And you can check the PR of pages by installing a software called 'SEO Quake' it will give you all the information you need.

Here's how it will look like

http://i739.photobucket.com/albums/xx35/englightenedsoul/Homebusinessparty.jpg

16. Spacey Gracey profile image39

Great - thanks guys. I have just installed Firefox and will go look for those add-ons now.

I'll report back shortly.
    Thanks again.

17. Richieb799 profile image77
    Richieb799posted 13 years ago

The 'Google hub' as you call it, is more liking getting the traffic from the people in this thread you have directed attention to it

hmm not sure what you mean Richie. I've only discussed traffic with LeanMan saying that because my 'Google homepage' hub and 'home party' hub are getting traffic (I know that is from HP people), all the other hubs are dying - it was a joke, I don't really think that the two are related.

18. salt profile image61
    saltposted 13 years ago

good hub, good length. Id add a photo if you can source one near the top  to break the points up a bit... otherwise great work and congratulations.

There are a couple of photos on there - I didn't want to put them near the top as Cagsil says thats a top slot for google ads.

Thanks for looking.

19. Spacey Gracey profile image39

Ok LeanMan, Enlgihtened Soul - hope you're both still around.

I've installed SEO Quake. I like it.

But I've got yet another question - hupages.com has a PR of 6? But individual hubs are coming out with a PR of 0, 1 maybe 2. I checked some other people's hubs too, just in case it was only my poor quality hubs that give this result.

So I'm thinking, even though a front page may have only PR3 pages and below, I still might not be able to compete because my PR could be just PR1? Does HP's PR help my individual hubs PR?

I'm gonna have to get some sort of brain upgrade to cope with all this information.

20. englightenedsoul profile image58

Spacey the front page of hubpages has a PR of 6, that's the reason hubpages features some really good articles on their front page so that when the google bot and other search engine bot arrives the feautured hub gets the benefit of a PR 6 link.

The same is followed by other social bookmarking sites.  For example, if you notice shetoldme, only the front page of shetoldme is of PR 5 and other pages have no PRs.  That's why getting your scoops promoted is important on shetoldme, then only you get the benefit of PR5 backlink(Your scoop should be on front page when the google bot arrives).

The unique thing about hubpages is that it passes on the PR benefit to individual hubs as well(tags,related hubs etc.).  You pages will quickly gain PR(Google updates PRs periodically, so you won't see any PR for your just published hub).  At hubpages, individual hubs can attain a PR of 4.  I have one hub which has a PR of 3.
    Here's the link:
    http://hubpages.com/hub/10-Effective-Wa … -Your-Time

And hubpages does the bulk of the SEO work for you and if on page SEO and marketing is done effectively you can be on the first page of google for any term.

I hope that helps.

Yes - I am now officially in love with you. Thanks so much. I have been doing loads of reading on this today, but you have helped it come together for me.

I'm running out of energy today so I will have to read that email you sent me another day.

I did some more keyword research and though that 'MLM tips', 'network marketing tips', and 'direct sales tips' look quite promising.

21. englightenedsoul profile image58

Spacey the feeling is mutual and take your time to absorb all the information.  I know it takes time and moreover there is something to learn everyday.  Anyways I am always there if at all you need any help.

22. LeanMan profile image80
    LeanManposted 13 years ago

This SEO stuff can be very confusing, I am very new to this, but spent far too much of my working day surfing the sites about it instead of working.. I have found so much conflicting information, mainly I think because a lot of people write SEO type pages in the hope that they will get rich quick, but the only way I have really learned anything is by looking at the other pages that rank well...

I am looking forward to a few of my hubs gaining page rank as some are only competing against page rank 1 or 2 pages from other sites so they should leap frog them when google does it's next update (as long as I extract my digit and get on with my backlinking)

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)