Too many hub categories

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (12 posts)
  1. wilderness profile image96
    wildernessposted 13 years ago

I keep a notepad beside my keyboard and jot down thoughts for a possible new hub as I think of them.  When I (finally) decide to write I have a list of ideas and just go through and choose what looks interesting at the moment.

The result, though is that even with the grand total of 11 hubs I have subjects all over the place, from how to articles to simpe prose to comedy to "philosophy" and have some trouble trying to back link them.  There just isn't any continuity at all be most of my hubs - no similarities.

Does anyone else have this problem?  Do you try to stay within a few general areas?  Or just go where your imagination takes you for the moment?

1. Cagsil profile image71
      Cagsilposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hey Wilderness,

It might be best if you worked on hubs that were similar in topics, but slightly off topic from each other. Then, you can link them together, because they will be related in some manner.

Example: I use hubpages to talk/write about different aspects of life and human beings. These two are related obviously, but the many different aspects or views or pieces of them is what I write about.

Like, morals - character traits - government intrusion - philosophy(isn't my strong suit, because I know almost nothing about it). Each are linked together.

My model hubs are linked together as is my celebrity hubs.

Hope that was helpful. smile

wildernessposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yes it is - thanks Cags.  I have noticed that with your stuff and wondered if it makes it a little easier to both write and link.

Not as much fun, perhaps, but probably better in the long run.  Of course, I'm still searching for a general category that I like AND that readers will find interesting.  My stuff is still too new to get much response from google and such, so can't really tell whether they will be well received.

Or maybe make 2 or 3 "groups" and try to keep within that.  More limited links, of course, but that would change with time and more hubs.

Well, I guess you don't find it fun, but every time I write about a different aspect, it seems to be well received, because the subjects are describing the worse parts of people and the apparent lack of whatever.

I think you can use all different assortments, then group them together based on only one or two links. You do not need 10 or 15 links to related articles, only a few.

You want your reader to engage you either in comments or by visiting your related hubs. If you have some "how to" hubs, that is the common element the hubs have, so link them together.

You can add news feeds and rss feeds to each of your hubs, which either tie into your other hubs via keywords or you can tie them to other hubs from other writers.

All links, either internal or external from other sites are helpful. Anything pointing back to a hub from another source is a backlink. wink

Oh, it's fun alright - I just enjoy moving around, writing different things in different styles more than the same kind of writing day after day.

Today my project is another hub, and try to insert some rss feeds into what I have.  Haven't done that at all yet, so some work ahead of me.

Not sure what you mean, though about links from other sites - I can't insert a link in somebody else's site (can I?).  Only in my own sites, and HP is all I've got.  Might join FB (shudder) in the future, though. 

I of course use links to Amazon and wish I could onto eBay, but that is apparently shut down for at least the time being.  I also link to some other hubs (not mine) that seem appropriate.

I use Blogspot, which has links on them, not that I get much traffic from my blog, but the links are there. I have RedGage, where I have linked to my hubs. I share with Facebook and use Twitter also.

You can find other hubs that are related to yours, and ask the hubber if you can link to their hubs, and if they would link back to yours. This will create a link, internally with HubPages.

You can find out if a hubber will let you post a link in the comment section of their hub. If your hub is related and a good source of information, then it most likely will be left in place.

You can create "capstone" hubs, to group your hubs that are related, like I did with my poetry. I have 10-20 poems, but are linked to a capstone/directory where all can be reached. Not to mention, each poem is linked to every other poem.

You can link to other hubbers hubs and email them to let them know that you have linked to their hub, similar to what I already said, but do not ask them to link back to yours. They might do it anyways, without you asking.

Some great ideas - thanks, Cags!  I never thought of asking a hubber for a line back, or linking via a comment.  That's something to consider as it would benefit both.

2. Csjun89 profile image60
    Csjun89posted 13 years ago

I think the hub categories are currently quite okay, I only have 57 hubs though so I am not exactly straining like the people with a few hundreds.

If this helps, try just giving a general category for your hubs, and at a later point flesh it out with your tags and groups. For example if you write a poem, you could put it under what the poem is about, perhaps flowers or poems and poetry, and lets say you choose poems you tag it with flowers. This way you free yourself of the category inhibition!

3. profile image0
    Precious Williamsposted 13 years ago

Hi Wilderness, like you I am interested in all sorts of things (though that's not currently obvious from my hubs) but when I have one idea, I then think of five others that will be related. This means I am building a great library of possible articles/hubs.  I have an ever ready supply.  However, I don't wait for inspiration to come - every day I will look at a newspaper, magazine, watch the news and find a minimum of five subjects that I could write about.  Now I just need to get faster as well as mastering back links etc.

So far, at least, inspiration is not a problem for me.  I generate hub ideas far faster than I can write them.  I have a page of ideas, but can reasonably write only about one a day, with keyword and other research also needed.

4. thranax profile image71
    thranaxposted 13 years ago

You can write on all topics, it will not hurt anything, I write in many subjects and am doing great!

~thranax~

5. content profile image61
    contentposted 13 years ago

I actually think that there could be more hub categories as well.  The more focused the categories, the better they fit the needs of the searcher.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)