So what did I do wrong here?

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (18 posts)
  1. Jeff Berndt profile image72
    Jeff Berndtposted 13 years ago

So I wrote this hub right around when I first joined Hub Pages, and nobody has looked at it for some time.

I admit that it's not an especially long hub--actually, it's rather short--but I don't feel that I can expand it without padding it, which I don't want to do.

What might I do to get traffic flowing and keep it going?

Thanks for all feedback,

Jeff

1. justplainmad profile image56
      justplainmadposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Deleted

1. climberjames profile image58
        climberjamesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Ha ha!

Try linking to it from more popular hubs.

2. Aficionada profile image78
        Aficionadaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

This forum section (Extreme Hub Makeover) is the place where this is encouraged.  Jeff's asking for specific help with a specific hub, not promoting it.  You're new here.  You'll learn.  I hope.

2. CASE1WORKER profile image60
      CASE1WORKERposted 13 years agoin reply to this

no offence but well its not glamourous is it- we all know tap water is cheaper but it does not come  in those nice little bottles which make you feel special. The actual hub itself needs a tad more imagery- i must admit to being bored by the first 50 words as I knew what you were going to say but didnt want to know it ( womens logic there)

2. Raven King profile image59
    Raven Kingposted 13 years ago

Dude, I left you a huge comment on your hub. There is a lot more you could to it because the issue keeps evolving. Read my comment in your hub.

3. Aficionada profile image78
    Aficionadaposted 13 years ago

I didn't read the comments on the Hub, so this may have been covered there.

The article title itself doesn't indicate clearly whether you are talking about financial or environmental costs, and so some people may come to read it thinking that it will be about one thing and then find out that it's about something else.  The first paragraph does clarify, but IMO it could still be stated more clearly.  And you might even want to give a nod to the environmental impact towards the end of the Hub.

For me, the biggest improvement would be to put the numbers into a chart or some other type of summary form - not instead of, but in addition to, what you have written.  Business types may be able to scan and glean what they need very quickly; for someone like me, reading the figures in the midst of the words makes it harder to grasp the actual message and the comparison/contrast you are aiming to provide.

I don't think you actually need more information (that's after my quick read of the article), but maybe just add on another, different way of organizing it.

Last item - I think the earth image looks too pixillated.  Could you use a different picture or change this one to a different size?

4. Aficionada profile image78

Also, have you done the linking that has been recommended? - links to some of your other articles can help, but you might also see if other Hubbers who have written about similar topics would be willing to link to this.

PS - In the first paragraph - you probably should correct the little typo of caries to carries. (Caries means tooth decay.)

1. Jeff Berndt profile image72
      Jeff Berndtposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Ack! THANK YOU!!! I can't believe I did that! :facepalm:

5. relache profile image72
    relacheposted 13 years ago

You need to flesh out the Hub.  Two paragraphs and an over-enlarged image doesn't make for a very strong draw.  Take a look at Hubs that are getting a lot of traffic (the "hot" designation) and see how varied and rich they are in the variety of content they offer.

6. Jeff Berndt profile image72

Thanks for the feedback, all. I'll take the comments to heart and see what I can do to improve this hub.

7. SteveoMc profile image73
    SteveoMcposted 13 years ago

Nice hub and you have good suggestions.   Just putting the hub here is going to generate some more interest.  I always gain a little bit by coming here.

8. Jeff Berndt profile image72

I've republished the hub, after having implemented many of the suggestions here. Thank you all for your constructive feedback, it's most appreciated.

Here's what it looks like now, thanks to your advice:
    http://hubpages.com/hub/The-True-Cost-of-Bottled-Water

1. Mark Knowles profile image57
      Mark Knowlesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Good luck. I have found it extremely difficult to drive traffic to any hubs that suggest anti-consumerism. Extremely difficult. I have tried them long, short, in-between, funny, serious - spending money buying links - everything. Almost zero traffic. My latest attempt - I have written a consumer-driven article with an anti-consumer rant attached -

http://hubpages.com/hub/espresso-machines

Lucky to get 30 views a day. sad

9. Dame Scribe profile image57
    Dame Scribeposted 13 years ago

Welcome to HubPages, Jeff Berndt smile I would also add environment, waste impact, etc., to your tags. Very well done and looks fantastic. big_smile O..nice pic too, btw, lol

10. earnestshub profile image82
    earnestshubposted 13 years ago

Good work Jeff, it looks fine now, I did not see it before. smile

11. Aficionada profile image78

Jeff, I really like the changes you have made.  I love the earth pic, and I really, really like the graphs.  Thank you!

I'm not sure where you are currently publicizing this, but it is clearly geared towards business owners/managers.  If you can find a forum on a small business site, I would think that would be a great place for you to post a link to it (or on a Going Green site - preferably both).

I think you could also make a whole series of Hubs about tactics for helping a business save money (and going green at the same time).  On the other hand, you could write a Hub that examines the opposite point of view from this one (reasons for preferring to use bottled water), but linking back to this one.  I know that idea sounds weird.  I got it from an article series I saw on another site similar to HP, where the same author wrote articles taking totally opposite viewpoints about a hot topic.  It was quite effective.  But I also realize that's not your goal here.

1. psycheskinner profile image84
      psycheskinnerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

However the figres used are way over what businesses are charge for bottled water in bulk.  And it leaves out intermediate option like big bottle cooler.

12. Jane@CM profile image59
    Jane@CMposted 13 years ago

Jeff, it is a good article.  I read it when you first posted this, but didn't get back to comment.  Truth be told, it isn't the type of hub I'd look for, but that is just me smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)