hubtrail capstone

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (29 posts)
  1. wilderness profile image95
    wildernessposted 13 years ago

I am writing a hub on travel in Idaho, but am unsure as how to tie it into the hubtrails program.  In particular, the idea of a capstone - one place says use it on the first one I write, another says don't use it, and I can't figure out just what to do.  Help here, anyone?

2. lrohner profile image68
    lrohnerposted 13 years ago

I've been trying to figure out the same thing myself. Will be interested in the answers that you get.

wildernessposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Well, Ohma designed or helped design the system and wrote a hub on the whole thing, but I still don't get it.  Just dense today, I guess.

3. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 13 years ago

In recent events occurring and conversations to the topic, I will attempt to help you figure things out.

As for a "capstone" hub- this applies to all 50 states, all provinces and all territories in each country.

If there is already a capstone for that location, then you cannot make another. Your hub would be tied to hubtrail via the keywords/tags.

If there is not already a capstone for that location, then you would insert the "hubtrail capstone" keyword/tag.

To get your hub included, is only required to ensure the keywords.

hubtrail americas  - this keyword is to be tied to my hub, which is for all the USA.
    hubtrail *state name* or *province* or *territory* - this tag is used also.

I hope that helped.

You can view the hubtrail global map:
    http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8& … 6&z=17

The map should have all the latest hubs in hubtrail. If you are unsure about it or have a question regarding a possible error on the map, the Hubber Arthur Fonte should be the person to contact. He is putting up the names and labels on the map.

OK, so now I have hubtrail-(americas, united states and idaho) + one for just hubtrails.  I read the instructions as that the americas one only went on a capstone, and that without anything else in Idaho I would need a capstone.

Thanks, Cags - I appreciate it.

1. Cagsil profile image70
        Cagsilposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Okay, the tags you should have, just to be sure-

hubtrail americas
        hubtrail idaho
        hubtrail capstone

You can use "hubtrail", but isn't necessary. You can use "United States" as a keyword by itself without hubtrail added to it.

I am connecting all 50 capstone hubs for each state, to my Americas hubtrail hub, when I have all 50 states covered, which I presently do not.

You can add hubtrail capstone - if you wrote about the State of Idaho. If you covered only an area of it, then it is not a capstone.

People write about just specific places inside a state, hence the reason for needing the "hubtrail capstone" for each state, so they can be tied together.

The capstone says it is the hub to go to first about a state, then you can have access through the feed on the capstone, to get to others. You can also visit the website Marissa put up.

http://hubtrailtravelguide.com/

Keywords/tags feeds(RSS) are tied to that site and a couple of others, from a couple of other hubbers.

Yep - pretty confusing, but I'm getting there.  I have the americas (which I thought was the western hemisphere (continent level), not the USA.  I have the united states, which I thought was the country.  I have Idaho, even though there are no other articles on that state.  I added the hubtrail by itself because someone else did and I didn't think it would hurt.

I do NOT have capstone because my hub is about a tiny part of Idaho, not the entire state.  I may write other hubs about parts of Idaho, and maybe one about the whole state - if I write about the whole I should make it a capstone because there isn't one yet about Idaho.  Correct?  Or should I add the hubtrail-capstone now as you indicate?

And after I write the next 3 hubs about Idaho (that'll cover the state pretty well tongue) then you can tell me know to link 'em together.  I haven't seen anything at all about that and kind of wondered.  I've been to the site and read Ohma's hub as well as some others, but didn't catch that.  (Wasn't really looking, either, and probably skipped over it.)

Ohma's hub on Hubtrail
            http://hubpages.com/hub/Hubtrails

Travelespresso's hub on FAQ's on Hubtrail
            http://hubpages.com/hub/World-travel-hubtrail-FAQs

Yes, those are the two hubs I used most for my information.  However, travelespresso indicates that I must group my hub under a capstone, while Ohma indicates a single hub should be a capstone, but then that it has changed and should not be, but that it should include the tag "hubtrail" and that it can simply include the "hubtrail-pennsylvania" instead.  He doesn't mention what if there is no Idaho, as in my case.

Interestingly, Ohma's hub includes a link to mine now, while travelespresso's does not.  Neither can search for it with "idaho" on the hubtrails website (it is only a couple of hours old).

1. Marisa Wright profile image86
                Marisa Wrightposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I find Ohma's Hub totally confusing, she needs to rewrite it to remove all the old information (nobody cares how it used to be), and set out clearly what tags to use NOW.

Both Travelespresso's and Ohma's Hub tell people not to use the continent or country tags unless they are writing a capstone. That's not the way it has always worked.

At one time, every Hubtrails Hub needed a continent tag, plus a country tag, plus a city or region tag if it was about a city or region.

If a Hub doesn't have a continent tag, it won't appear on my Hubtrails website, but I'm assuming Ohma has changed this because it's stuffing up other aspects of the project. That's fine, I only started the website because no one else was doing it originally - I won't bother renewing it when it expires. However that does mean a lot of Hubtrail Hubs are tagged incorrectly.

Thanks for the information, Marisa - I think I've got it right now. 

Sorry to hear that it will expire one day, though - it sounds like a good idea, and seems to have quite a few people using it.  I would help out with it, but my computer expertise consists of finding the "on" button and I know even less about the net.

Wilderness, there are only 158 posts on the site right now, and if people aren't using the continent tag now, I'm not going to get many more.  So the site isn't offering much value, and I haven't got time to manually upload Hubs. 

Maybe some other Hubber might like to take it off my hands?

4. lrohner profile image68
    lrohnerposted 13 years ago

I must be really, really dense. I have a few hubs that I included the hubtrail-americas, hubtrail-united states and hubtrail-(state name) quite a while ago, and they're still not included in hubtrail. What am I doing wrong?

I am not sure. I know some people have run into problems with the feeds. Edweirdo did up a good hub about the feeds, if you're interested. Maybe that can help you. smile

2. rebekahELLE profile image85
      rebekahELLEposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I think I remember someone saying that if there's over 15 tags, the RSS feed may not pick up the hubtrail tags if they're not included in the first 15 tags.
      possibly Ohma, Marisa or Cags may know more how that works.

HubPages RSS feed only works off the first 15 tags setup on the hub. Anything over that amount, HubPages feeds ignore the tags. smile

2. lrohner profile image68
        lrohnerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I did read that and made sure they were in the first 15.

I just had a peek at one of your New England Hubs and while Hubtrail-united states was in the first 15, the other Hubtrail tags were not.

3. wilderness profile image95

Irohner, I looked at a couple of your hubs and found two of them on hubtrails by searching for hubtrail-united states.  Other tags were more than 15 down the list.

4. Marisa Wright profile image86

When you say they're not included in Hubtrail, which part of Hubtrails aren't they in?

1. lrohner profile image68
        lrohnerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I have hubs on Connecticut, Maine, Vermont, Rhode Island and California. So that's Americas, United States and the individual states. What am I missing?

And it looks like I can't reorder tags??? I deleted a bunch of them so that the hubtrail tags would be in the top 15, but when I reinput them, instead of going to the end of the list they go right back to where they were.

Why am I just not getting this?

What a bummer.  Have you checked whether the tags work?  I wish HubPages would fix the tag problem!

http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/47258#post1087980

We have to remember Hubtrails isn't an official HubPages project, it was just a bright idea by Ohma that snowballed before anyone really had time to work out the logistics.  That's why it's clunky.

5. jenblacksheep profile image67
    jenblacksheepposted 13 years ago

I thought I understood all this stuff for hubtrails, I guess I left it so long to sort mine out that I forgot again.

I currently have 5 hubs about volunteering in venezuela which are only about a specific part of venezuela that I wanted to add, but as far as I know there is no capstone for venezuela.

From posting on Ohma's hub I was under the impression that I needed to write one hub that tied all mine together but I didn't need to write a capstone one about venezuela as a whole. Is that right?

You do not need to write a hub to tie all yours together. You only need to use the "links" capsule to tied them together.

The keywords/tags would tied to Americas, because you are hubbing about a place in South America, which is under Americas.

hubtrail americas
      hubtrail venezuela
      south america

Would be good enough to tied it to hubtrail.

6. jenblacksheep profile image67
    jenblacksheepposted 13 years ago

ok, so all 5 hubs were linked to each other anyway, so I literally just have to add the tags 'hubtrail americas' 'hubtrail venezuela' and 'south america' to each of the five?

That should do the trick for you. smile

1. jenblacksheep profile image67
        jenblacksheepposted 13 years agoin reply to this

THANK YOU!!

You're welcome. smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)