jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (12 posts)

New automatic feature?

1. Cagsil profile image59
    Cagsilposted 7 years ago

Hey Staff,

I have a suggestion you might consider. Can you install an automatic function to prevent "ALL CAPS HEADLINES!!!!" from happening.

Granted it, it might be a lot to ask for, but thought I would throw it out there.

If not, oh well. No problem. Let's move on.

If so, that would be great.

Thank you for your time.

1. darkside profile image81
      darksideposted 7 years agoin reply to this

There is actually a text transform property in CSS that will do it.

{text-transform:capitalize}

But people who make their headings all uppercase don't have much worthwhile to say in their threads anyway, so if I see such a thread title like that I know to avoid it.

1. relache profile image89
        relacheposted 7 years agoin reply to this

That appears to be a property that will capitalize everything, not the reverse...

1. thisisoli profile image72
          thisisoliposted 7 years agoin reply to this

There is also one which uncapatlizes words, but I can't remember what it is exactly.

2. darkside profile image81
          darksideposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Actually, it will capitalize the first character of each word in uppercase. Unfortunately, it will only do it to sentences which are already in all lower case.

There's also:
          {text-transform:uppercase}
          {text-transform:lowercase}

2. relache profile image89
    relacheposted 7 years ago

Don't you think that if there was a way to prevent typing in all caps, it would be a feature active across the entire world-wide Internet already?

3. climberjames profile image57
    climberjamesposted 7 years ago

This would be good!

4. Misha profile image77
    Mishaposted 7 years ago

As annoying as it is I would rather have all caps than yet another regulation that is automatically enforced.

1. psycheskinner profile image83
      psycheskinnerposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Wow you people are literal.  I am pretty sure it was a tongue in cheek suggestion.

1. Misha profile image77
        Mishaposted 7 years agoin reply to this

I am pretty sure it wasn't smile

5. Cagsil profile image59
    Cagsilposted 7 years ago

The suggestion was made to prevent people from forming "SCREAMING TITLES!!!!" and the fact that I wanted to get other people's thoughts about it.

That's all. smile

6. darkside profile image81
    darksideposted 7 years ago

I do think it's a good suggestion. But it does allow me to assess a person before I even enter their thread. If they have to scream to get attention then generally what they have to say in their thread isn't worth reading.

At a Digg-like site I own people can submit lenses. At least once a day I go through the submissions and any with ALL CAPS TITLES I delete. People are warned on the submission page that it's not allowed. It's funny that they don't actually heed the caution.

working