jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (14 posts)

page views on unpublished hub

1. profile image0
    china manposted 7 years ago

I am sure this has been addressed here before but I forgot the answer !  I am making a biggish hub and it is unpublished  yet I have 14 pageviews - are they me opening it to add new stuff ?  It had 3 views immediately after I started it and had only opened it to start!

2. Cagsil profile image61
    Cagsilposted 7 years ago

That is from you going into and out of edit. smile

3. CYBERSUPE profile image60
    CYBERSUPEposted 7 years ago

Thanks Cagsil for your explanation because I was wondering about that myself.

1. Cagsil profile image61
      Cagsilposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Well, stop and think about it..... If a hub is not published, and you are the only one with access to it...it would make sense that the traffic to the hub is you. wink

1. profile image0
        china manposted 7 years agoin reply to this

That is what I thought and what put in my post - so how can it have 3 page views after I create it and close it only the once ?

1. Cagsil profile image61
          Cagsilposted 7 years agoin reply to this

You said you made a biggish hub. That means that you have open and closed the edit more times than just once.

How the tracking system works? I do not know. I do not know the integrated nature of the workings of hub views.

You could email Team@HubPages.com and see if they can give you answers.

But, by your own admission, you have multiple views(14), which automatically tells me you have been on that hub more than once.

1. profile image0
            china manposted 7 years agoin reply to this

It is not important enough to bother the grown-ups with it - just one of thow "I wonder why" moments.  I can see the visits going up as being mine, but the 3 visits immediately after I created it and closed THE ONCE remains a mystery.

4. SOKCGOLD profile image61
    SOKCGOLDposted 7 years ago

I was wondering the same thing with some hubs I am reworking. Does anyone know if it gives one page view from going into editing mode, or if each capsule you edit would give you a page view? Also, does doing a preview while editing get counted as a page view? This would be good to know for those tweaking their older hubs. You would be tweaking to increase views, but if your edits generate views, that would skew results for a while, wouldn't it?

1. profile image0
      Website Examinerposted 7 years agoin reply to this

As for going into and out of editing mode, see Cagsil's post above. Previews definitely generate page views. Even while editing, I shouldn't be surprised that there is some refreshing going on that may well generate additional page views. For someone with relatively few views, that could skew results for a few days.

1. wilderness profile image99
        wildernessposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Are you sure?  I note that the url for the edit screen is NOT that of the hub, and neither is the "preview" screen.  Wouldn't that mean that the page view count would be for someplace other than the hub?

Still trying to learn as much as possible about how the net works.......

1. profile image0

There have been many previous threads on this, and that is what they tend to say. My own experiences are similar. I believe that edit and preview screens involve pulling elements from the actual hub, thus page views are created.

2. Arthur Fontes profile image82
        Arthur Fontesposted 7 years agoin reply to this

I think you are correct. I constantly save my work as I am putting a hub together and when I am done with my one time edit, it shows several views on the hub.  Maybe it is connected to the save feature?

1. profile image0

I believe page views are generated each time page elements are loaded.

5. J@ps profile image79
    J@psposted 7 years ago

I have wondered about that myself. And the only logical answer is they are yours as you are the only one able to see the hub.

Maybe it is a bit tricky to have it fixed, so the hub team left it like that. Although I am not sure if your edits after you have published the hub will add to the view count, but I guess that one the hub team have covered.

working