What are folks opinions on Kontera these days?

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (24 posts)
  1. paradigmsearch profile image60
    paradigmsearchposted 14 years ago

What are folks opinions on Kontera these days?

1. Evan Hutchinson profile image69
      Evan Hutchinsonposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Loaded with shitty 2-cent ads. No point in using it unless you are going to get 500 clicks per day.

2. relache profile image66
    relacheposted 14 years ago

My opinion is that it works for me because 1) I have a really high amount of traffic here, 2) I have a referral with a lot of hubs and page views who uses it too and 3) i've also got it running on my own website.  So really, i think it works because I've got multiple traffic streams running into it.

As you only have 21 Hubs, I don't think it will wind up earning much of anything for you.  I usually recommend to people not to bother with it unless they have more than 100,000 page views per month.

1. Mark Knowles profile image59
      Mark Knowlesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I think the subject matter is important also, because it absolutely did not work for me with well over 100k page views a month.

3. paradigmsearch profile image60

Thank you, relache. I suspect that you have saved me some aggravation.

4. Cagsil profile image71
    Cagsilposted 14 years ago

I do not use it. I've not bothered with it. I'd rather have highlighted links on my pages, going where I want people to go. smile

5. paradigmsearch profile image60

Yeah, I’ve been doing that (linking) a lot lately. It really do work!

6. rmcrayne profile image93
    rmcrayneposted 14 years ago

I'm with ryankett regarding Kontera. 

http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/41099

It took my AdSense earnings and stats about a month to recover after shutting Kontera back off.  My July AdSense earnings have almost doubled June earnings.

1. thisisoli profile image75
      thisisoliposted 14 years agoin reply to this

If it was not an instantaneous recovery in earnings then Kontera was not the factor in your Adsense earnings drop, you have to remember there is a near infinity number of factors affecting earnings, but one of the greatest is the time of year, overall weather, and even distribution of birthdays.

If you disabled Kontera and it took a month for earnings to recover then it suggests that some seasonal or market driven effect was affecting your earnings.

If you disabled Kontera and only Adsense remained your visitors would immediately be affected by this change.

To the OP, Kontera earns me anything from 30 cents to five dollars a day.  It is not a huge amount but it all goes in to my pot and does not take up any advertising space.

My own tests have revealed next to no change in earnings from Kontera, and though it is not a big earner, it is merely another way of turning potential earnings in to actual earnings from your visitors.

To me the assertion that Kontera is not worthwhile for lower traffic publishers is not true, since even if they earn a low value, it will eventually build up to the payment threshold, in the same way that many people do not reach an adsense payout for several months, or even years.

1. rmcrayne profile image93
        rmcrayneposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Thank you very much for your comment oli.  I’ve asked ryankett to look at my stats once July is over.

Is it not possible that AdSense ‘downgrades’ ads when Kontera is detected? 

My stats are pretty compelling.  Everything (page impressions, total clicks, eCPM, etc) was climbing until I enabled Kontera.  My earnings dropped by 40+% at 30 days.  No one else reported seasonal or other fluctuations in pg impressions, clicks or earnings for May and June.  My portfolio is pretty diverse. 

Kontera was on for 1/3 of my hubs 15 April-27 May.  May and June earnings were both less than April.  Jul is double May and June, and 40% more than April.

While it is possible that kontera did affect your earnings during the time that it was implemented, the fact that it took a month to recover suggests that it was a seasonal effect.

Basically if someone visited your site two days after you disabled Kontera they would not know that you had even activated kontera for a test prior to their visit.

While there might be a small discrepency for repeat visitors, the majority of traffic would not be aware that you had recently tested Kontera and had jsut disabled it.

for this reason if Kontera had been the cause of your adsense earnings drop you should have noticed a near immediate reversal to your previous earnings IF kontera had been the cause.

One thing I noticed around may time was those damn Groupon advertisements on Google.  Those dropped my click through rate and earnings dramatically.

See the thread

http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/42828

My earnings increased after I removed those compeltely untargetted advertisements to allow for more targetted adverts to be placed there.

1. cohenj88 profile image60
            cohenj88posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hi Rose Mary, Oli -

This is Jonathan from Kontera. In terms of AdSense ‘downgrading’ Kontera ads, years ago AdSense had actually banned their publishers from using In-Text ads at the same. However, after they had a chance to study the issue, they decided that In-Text wasn't affecting their revenue and lifted the ban.

I really don't think AdSense would penalize publishers under the table because they're Google and if they didn't want publishers using In-Text ads again, they would just ban them again.

Actually, in our experience we've found that many of our over 15,000 Kontera publishers use both Kontera and AdSense on their sites, and because Kontera ads are displayed in a completely different area of a webpage, they're not competing for clicks, and Kontera acts as a completely new revenue stream.   

Rose Mary, I'm really sure what was effecting your AdSense revenue but if you e-mail me at jonathanc@kontera.com I'll happily look over your account from our end and see if there's anything I can figure out.

Thanks,

- Jonathan Cohen
            Kontera Community Manager

7. Pcunix profile image92
    Pcunixposted 14 years ago

I wouldn't care how much money it made for me.  I won't read a page that has that and I would never subject my readers to it.  I really, really dislike it.

8. Len Cannon profile image87
    Len Cannonposted 14 years ago

My experiments with kontera have been pretty disastrous.  A ~$.01 per click average and my adsense earnings were cut in half. They did jump back to normal once my hubs normalized after I took them off (when I turned them off plus 24 hours).

I did have a higher click through but the earnings were just depressing.  I'm not beyond trying it again, especially if I ever find the time to learn about optimizing for kontera instead of amazon or adsense or whatever.

My value for Kontera clicks is less than adsense, but not by much.  Generally it is around $0.30 (Though there are still days when it drops to a cent a click).

I don't see Kontera as competition with Google, rather just another opportunity to catch the readers attention and secure a click.

Maybe it's time I did another test before the xmas season kicks off!

9. thisisoli profile image75
    thisisoliposted 14 years ago

Actually, thinking about it I might disable Kontera for the Christmas period since that is when I make a huge sum from affiliate sales. If I had the choiceright then it might also be an ideal time to replace my adsense advertisements with Amazon and ebay.

Hi Oli,

I'm not sure December would be a good to experiment with disabling your Kontera ads. Christmas season is actually our peak in terms of when we have the most, highest CPC ad campaigns running on the network at the same time.   

- Jonathan

thisisoliposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hi Jonathan,

While it might be the best time to be in Kontera, I don't think any PPC campaign can compete with a Pay Per Sale advertising technique. Since Christmas is a stime where potential sale percentages increase by a huge amount, it makes sense to increase an advertising campaign which focuses directly on selling products during this time.

2. mailxpress profile image50
      mailxpressposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I bet you would do real well replacing ads with Amazon and Ebay.  Let us know how that works for you.

10. EmmaMedu profile image68
    EmmaMeduposted 14 years ago

I don't use Kontera at all, because I find it annoying. I hate when those little windows open and disturb me while I'm reading. I don't want my readers to be disturbed, so I never use it on my hubs.

Hi EmmaMedu,

I totally respect your view in terms of your personal preference, but your readers might not necessarily feel the same way. A recent study by comScore, the leading internet marketing research firm found that Kontera In-Text ads are actually among the "least intrusive" ad types according to users: http://www.kontera.com/advertisers/research-results

Thanks,

- Jonathan Cohen
      Kontera Community Manager

1. mailxpress profile image50
        mailxpressposted 13 years agoin reply to this

H EmmaMedu,

I created a method to using Kontera.  I use Kontera on all my Hubs now and doing pretty good with it.  When I first started to use Adsense I only earned pennies per day and over time started to earn dollars per day.

With Kontera the same thing is now happening to me.  At first I only earned pennies but now earning dollars.

Just for the record I decided to only use Kontera on my Hubs and on my blogger blogs I use Infolinks with Adsense.

A few months ago I decided to use Kontera with Adsense on my Hubs and Infolinks with Adsense on my blogs.  It's working for me and I do earn more than just pennies.

11. brettb profile image59
    brettbposted 13 years ago

I tried Kontera for a couple of months on some of my Hubs and another site I run. Unfortunately I only saw poor quality ads. Like for example "net framework" was underlined but it was a link to a search engine for "net framework".

I've now taken it off as there's no point getting 1 cent clicks in premium topics like the ones I write about.

12. skyfire profile image79
    skyfireposted 13 years ago

Konter reporting sucks. I mean they don't have total money earned count? Whats the use of quarterly reports?

Kontera Ads are annoying and low paying.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)