Question about backlinking and backlinks

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (14 posts)
  1. IzzyM profile image87
    IzzyMposted 13 years ago

I've been doing quite a lot of backlinking recently. Can anyone tell me why some sites sometimes award you with a backlink (that shows up in yahoo) and other times they don't? For example, I have sent loads of articles to the usual squad - Xomba, shetoldme, redgage etc, and only now and again does a hub actually get a backlink. I'm assuming the spiders see them all the same, but send an article to 10 places and you are lucky to get one actual backlink.
    The other thing is why do backlinks vary in value even from the same site? At least one of my hubs has a PR3 backlink from TipDrop, yet most are 0 even from the same place.

1. lrohner profile image69
      lrohnerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I haven't found one site yet, including Yahoo, that shows all of my incoming links. One of the pros on here is probably better suited to answer this, because I just don't worry about it honestly.

Pages have PageRank. Domains do not. The homepage for a site may be a PR8, but other pages in the same domain could be PR0, PR1, PR2, etc.

1. IzzyM profile image87
        IzzyMposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Ahh...that makes perfect sense Irohner. I should have thought on that LOL

2. IzzyM profile image87

I do worry when all that is stopping a hub from getting to the top in google is a few sites with low PRs, poor on-page optimization and 100 backclinks. Only way to beat them is to have a few backlinks myself.

1. Misha profile image62
          Mishaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Just build more Izzy, and don't forget to bookmark them and submit to RSS smile

1. IzzyM profile image87

Bookmark the links when they are on other sites and submit to rss? I still haven't got to grips with the whole rss thing. I need to take some time out and study it. I've read the hubs about rss feeds and don't understand them frankly. I'll try reading them again. Things do drop home eventually!

1. Misha profile image62
              Mishaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yep, they do!

2. jenblacksheep profile image67
              jenblacksheepposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You're not alone there, I cannot get to grips with RSS at all. I've just about learnt how to make an rss feed with certain kinds of hubs but any more than that and I'm at a total loss.

To be honest I'm not entirely sure that I really know what I'm doing with backlinking either. I have maybe 7 or 8 places that I submit each hub to, but other than that I don't really know what to do.

1. IzzyM profile image87

Well I've just gone and aided my latest hub rss to a whole load of sites, and no doubt that's NOT what you are supposed to do. Was I meant to just pick one place and submit there?

Jen, you've learned to make an rss feed with hubs! Well done you!

The backlinking thing I can do - it is incredibly boring but I am getting faster at it. Both Ryankett and Hal Licino have made hubs with site lists - its just a matter of working through them.

http://hubpages.com/hub/The-Top-Social- … gh-Traffic
                http://hubpages.com/hub/Increase-Your-T … PR4-or-PR5
                http://hubpages.com/hub/Increase-Your-T … follow-PR6

2. jenblacksheep profile image67
    jenblacksheepposted 13 years ago

Ye, that's basically what I've been doing, working through different sites backlinking my hubs. I found a website that has a list of loads of sites that give dofollow links, but most of them are a bit over my head.

I've read a fair few backlinking hubs, but I should probably start reading more and learning more now that I'm comfortable with what I'm doing.

3. surf traveler profile image78
    surf travelerposted 13 years ago

I'm having a hard time getting my head around RSS feeds as well. I have read many hubs explaining RSS, but I am still not sure whether I have set things up correctly.
    I wish I could find a hub or a website that demonstrated what to do with RSS to an article once it is published.
    For example, I signed up with Feedburner and put in the hubpages rss feed for my latest hubs. Now I don't know whether I need to keep going back to feedburner and update that each time I write another hub, or is it now set up that it will "see" each time I publish a new hub.

1. wilderness profile image94
      wildernessposted 13 years agoin reply to this

If you set up the RSS feed for the "latest" hubs then it will update automatically each time you write a new hub.  As there is a limit to the number of hubs in a RSS feed, they will drop off at the same rate as you continue to write hubs, however.

4. surf traveler profile image78
    surf travelerposted 13 years ago

Thanks for the advice Wilderness. I noticed that my three latest hubs got indexed within a day, rather than taking several days, which was my average before, putting my rss/latest feed into feedburner. Good to know I don't have to keep going back and update it.

5. thisisoli profile image72
    thisisoliposted 13 years ago

just a word of warning, many sites which claim to contain sites with do follow links are spammed by sites which temporarily enable do follow comments, and then disable tehm after they are included in the directory.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)