jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (10 posts)

Who is a 'Unverified Person'?

1. MartieCoetser profile image90
    MartieCoetserposted 7 years ago

I've received the following notice via e-mail: "Unverified person 'So-and-So' left a comment on your Hub." Now where does this person comes from? Is he/she a hubber, or from where and how does he/she send comments?

1. Susana S profile image97
      Susana Sposted 7 years agoin reply to this

This is someone who has visited your hub from a search engine or somewhere else on the web and wanted to leave a comment. People don't have to a hubpages member to leave comments.

1. rebekahELLE profile image88
        rebekahELLEposted 7 years agoin reply to this

but there's usually a sign in name. I have a few comments with no name. how does that happen if they have to sign in or sign up to post?

1. Susana S profile image97
          Susana Sposted 7 years agoin reply to this

No idea! lol

2. relache profile image90
          relacheposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Hub visitors don't necessarily have to sign-in or join the site to post.  You can set your comment capsules to accept comment from people who are not site members, or not.  Non-members can enter a name, use that slot to try and get a back link, and occasionally they do leave that spot blank.

If you are getting comments from non-members, it's due to your own preferences, or because you've never taken the time to look closely at the options you can edit in the comments capsules.

1. rebekahELLE profile image88
            rebekahELLEposted 7 years agoin reply to this

that explains it. yes, I do have it set where non-members can post, but they have to be approved.

I guess the time my comment appeared without anything may have been when I was signed out and thought I was signed in. hmm

thanks for the clarification.

2. pisean282311 profile image61
      pisean282311posted 7 years agoin reply to this

unverified means a  person who is not in hubpages but managed to find your hub and commented...

2. rebekahELLE profile image88
    rebekahELLEposted 7 years ago

It happens sometimes. once I left a comment on someone's hub and there was no trace of who I was, no screen name or avatar.  hmm

3. relache profile image90
    relacheposted 7 years ago

I have some Hubs set to allow comments from any visitors, but my Hubs about making Hubs are set to allow comments from site members only.

Setting for members only is a good option for things that seem to draw lots of spam, or where comments get sort of aggressive, as having registered comments only offers more protection and support from HubPages for dealing with problems.

4. MartieCoetser profile image90
    MartieCoetserposted 7 years ago

Thank you so much for all your answers! Now I know a little more – one of these days I will know and understand everything. It is wonderful to share Hubpages with hubbers like you! smile

working