jump to last post 1-11 of 11 discussions (15 posts)

help

1. BRIAN SLATER profile image85
    BRIAN SLATERposted 6 years ago

hi- can anyone recommend some free downable computer security- thankyou

1. Sekharg profile image69
      Sekhargposted 6 years ago in reply to this

AVG will be good. At least I liked it.

2. profile image0
    Website Examinerposted 6 years ago

Super anti-spyware; Avast; Norton security scan (available via Google Pack); Adaware.

Super anti-spyware lives up to its name; it has an ability to detect where others fail. I believe it does have the ability to run in the background without using too many system resources.

Avast is an all-round anti-virus program, which has received mixed reviews but it is rather popular.

Norton Security scan does not run all the time, but on demand, which means it is not proactive.

Adaware is mostly about spyware; it has developed quite a bit in recent times, so may have become fairly effective.

If I should choose just one, I'd go with Super-Antispyware. Others may have a different opinion, of course.

3. Bard of Ely profile image88
    Bard of Elyposted 6 years ago

I use AVG and Spybot Search and Destroy

4. profile image0

It's a tough choice!

5. Pcunix profile image87
    Pcunixposted 6 years ago

Microsoft Security Essentials, free from Microsoft.com

From the same idiots who created the problem  to start with,  but it will catch things AVG et al. cannot see.

6. profile image0

Microsoft Security Essentials, when installed, will automatically download all patches for the operating system in question. Depending on the OS and configuration, it can become a very large download.

1. Pcunix profile image87
      Pcunixposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Which you should have installed already, as many of them are important security patches.

I know that these can sometimes cause problems with xp and before, but that's what you get when you run a challenged  os. Windows users should be on Win 7 or scrap it and buy a Mac.

7. profile image0

The only good Mac is a Big Mac - et cetera...

smile

Funny how many MacBooks I see at tech gatherings..

8. profile image0

Everybody knows that Macs are inferior - except those who have tried them or taken the time to learn about them.

Everybody knows they cost more too, except for those who have actually compared specs head to head.

9. profile image0
    Amie Warrenposted 6 years ago

What kind of security are you talking about?

I use Avira Antivir free and it's awesome. Also use Outpost Firewall free, but I'm about to trade it for Comodo, I think, since they took away the instant updates.

SuperAntispyware and Malwarebytes are both great, but when I run them, I always have to run both, because neither catches everything.

If you run Peer Guardian at startup, it blocks most governmental entities from hacking into your computer. It was invented for P2P users, but it's just a great small, unobtrusive program that protects you like crazy.

Spyware Blaster is also a tiny program that runs in the background and doesn't allow spyware to embed itself on your system. Great if you go to a lot of sites that might have drive-by stuff, not that I'm accusing you of going to those types of sites, but just saying.

10. L a d y f a c e profile image82
    L a d y f a c eposted 6 years ago

AVG All the way.

11. BRIAN SLATER profile image85
    BRIAN SLATERposted 6 years ago

hello and thanks to all who have responded- apart from a"Big Mac" which does sound appealing. smile  i'm just checking two of these out AVG and Avira Antivirus and will go with one of them-thankyou.

working