jump to last post 1-9 of 9 discussions (18 posts)

A Music Capsule?

1. profile image0
    TransScribblerposted 7 years ago

What are the chances of HP adding a music capsule? There are some hubs that I would like to be able to add music to, rather than having to include a video clip.
    What do we think, Hubbers?

1. relache profile image90
      relacheposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Pages that play music are one of the most widely reviled web features to the Internet public to the point where search engines rank down pages that do so.  HubPages needs to steer clear of anything that smacks of it.

On the music file source side of things that don't auto-play, it's a copyright nightmare and an extreme server burden.

2. profile image0
    Website Examinerposted 7 years ago

I would love to see that.

The problem is that HubPages does not want to host audio and video, this is because of copyright concerns. They want to use embedding, which is possible with YouTube. The closest thing for streaming audio only would be podcasting sites.

1. profile image0
      TransScribblerposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Oh well! I will still put it on my list for Santa this year smile

2. camlo profile image87
      camloposted 7 years agoin reply to this

The thing about using YouTube videos is that they often stop working. If I didn't check my music Hubs every now and then, I think I'd hardly have a working video on them. So, I've often wondered why we couldn't have a more convenient 'audio capsule' as well as the option of using embedded videos (there's obviously no problem with my own videos) ... but your answer explains everything WE. Things would get very complicated indeed for HP.

3. WryLilt profile image94
    WryLiltposted 7 years ago

Sorry - not a big fan of the idea.

In my mind, pages with music take longer to load and are annoying.

1. profile image0
      Website Examinerposted 7 years agoin reply to this

A capsule with streaming audio, similar to YouTube videos, does not create "pages with music." The audio does not load until the player is clicked upon. Auto play and auto repeat should definitely not be allowed.

1. WryLilt profile image94
        WryLiltposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Alright, that sounds better. Still not a huge fan though. smile

However I personally don't listen to music, something that everyone else seems to do.... so am probably in the minority!

1. profile image0
          Website Examinerposted 7 years agoin reply to this

They could also be used for text read out loud. But I respect your opinion.

4. saleheensblog profile image60
    saleheensblogposted 7 years ago

I would love it as I love music. We get videos from youtube but what will be the source of music?

5. profile image0
    Website Examinerposted 7 years ago

People will want to upload music files themselves, but HubPages isn't going to allow that. So the source will be podcast and free music sites that generate the HTML code needed to create embedded players. Same principle as YouTube.

6. Daniel Carter profile image79
    Daniel Carterposted 7 years ago

Creating mini music videos is not that hard to do. From there, it's easy to post on youtube and then embed into a hub. It's more interesting than just a music file playing. If you do choose to create a music video, make sure you're not violating any copyrights for that piece of music, or even in many cases, the performers. Copyright violations are a HUGE issue on the internet. And as a composer/songwriter, I'm keenly aware of just how devastating copyright infringements can be.

The easiest answer for including music in hubs is simply to go to youtube, find a piece of music you like there and embed it in your hub. If you have an original composition of your own that you want to include, then create the music video yourself. As I said above, it's not that difficult.

7. Peggy W profile image92
    Peggy Wposted 7 years ago

Interesting idea but am sure that the copyright laws would be the prime concern.

8. SimeyC profile image98
    SimeyCposted 7 years ago

There is an Amazon 'widget' that allows for a 'sample' of a song, or a list of songs to be played - for me this would make hubs where I am reviewing a band a lot better, and also allow me to 'sell' the song by giving a free sample.

1. camlo profile image87

A license isn't required for a sample?

1. SimeyC profile image98
        SimeyCposted 7 years agoin reply to this

As it's an amazon capsule that you can get from their affiliate site, Amazon are the ones who have to deal with the license issues - the Amazon capsule can be embedded in a web site - it would have to be changed for Hubpages though....

1. camlo profile image87

Sorry, realised exactly what you meant after I'd posted my last message.
          Yes, that wouldn't be a bad idea. Sometimes I'd like to include a song on a Hub that doesn't have a video on YouTube, so that would be a good alternative.

9. GmaGoldie profile image80
    GmaGoldieposted 7 years ago

I agree with SimeyC - the Amazon capsule could be modified to include the Amazon widget for the "sample" song.  This would be a big help to Amazon and to the reader.  Great ideal SimeyC.  It clears us of copyright but allows another tool for communication.

working