Adding personal videos to your hub

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (42 posts)
  1. janshares profile image93
    jansharesposted 11 years ago

In order to add your own video to a hub, do you have to join youtube first, upload your video, then put it in the hub capsule? I wish I could upload my videos like I upload my photos.

1. snakeslane profile image82
      snakeslaneposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Hi jan, I think you do have to upload your video via Youtube. If there is another way to do this I'd love to hear about it.

jansharesposted 11 years agoin reply to this

That's what I thought, snakeslane. Thanks, will do.

2. That Grrl profile image72
      That Grrlposted 11 years agoin reply to this

If you are going to link to it from YouTube it seems logical you would have to join the site and upload it there first.

I'm not a video fan. They suck up a lot of bandwidth and add to the cost of my ISP. I paid an extra $20+ the night my nephew stayed over and watched videos of TV shows. That really sucked.

Really? Thanks for the heads up, That Grrl. I'd like to try a video in one of my hubs just to learn tools. I'm not a fan of joining multiple sites in cyberspace so I was hoping there was a way around it. I guess not, oh well.

2. Global-Chica profile image91
    Global-Chicaposted 11 years ago

You can also upload your personal video to a hub by converting your hub to video.  To do so, select "Convert to Video", located on the right, below Special Layout Options.

1. SmartAndFun profile image93
      SmartAndFunposted 11 years agoin reply to this

But then you can place it only at the very top of your hub, and it's on autoplay, correct? Or did HP fix that?

1. Global-Chica profile image91
        Global-Chicaposted 11 years agoin reply to this

That's correct, if you currently convert your hub to video, it appears at the top of the hub and cannot be modified.

Thank you, Global-Chica. Now I know that there are two options.

3. NateB11 profile image89
    NateB11posted 11 years ago

I haven't  done it yet, but I was told on another forum you could upload your own video to a regular article Hub, that you don't have to make it a video hub. My understanding is that it's better to upload your video to an article hub. If I remember correctly, while creating a hub, you are given the option to upload video in the video capsule. I could be wrong, I have no direct experience with uploading video on HP.

1. NateB11 profile image89
      NateB11posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Here's a link to the rather short thread in which I asked this question, and a rather experienced Hubber said she uploads videos to regular article Hubs. http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/107095

Edit: Turns out I'm wrong. I went into a Hub of mine and to the video capsule and saw there's no way to upload a video, except of course to put a link from YouTube, etc. Glad I found that out now; thanks for bringing up this issue. Looks like it's either make the hub a video hub or create YouTube videos.

Thanks so much, Nate for looking that up and getting clarification for both of us.

4. snakeslane profile image82
    snakeslaneposted 11 years ago

Hi jan, I just made a 'Video Hub' uploading my own personal video made on Moviemaker program on my computer. I didn't know I could do this (thought I had to upload to YouTube first). I guess if I wanted to use it in a regular Hub as a video capsule I would have to go the YouTube route. This is interesting, it's still processing, haven't previewed it yet, just an experiment at this point. Thanks!

Yes, snakeslane, others have explained the two distinct options. So let me know if you can still read text in your hub in addition to the video, not necessarily simultaneously. Thanks, snake.

1. snakeslane profile image82
        snakeslaneposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Yes Jan, Once you upload your video you can still add all the other capsules just like any Hub. The difference is the video stays at the top, and the hub opens with the video playing. Something else I just noticed, though, my video opened with an advertisement, was not expecting that. I guess one needs to manually click on the 'no ads' button to get rid of the ad.

Hey snakeslane. I was just exploring video hubs to see how it works (forgot that I had seen some when I first joined hp). I see what you mean, it's not a bad option when the video is central to the mesage of the hub. I will try it. Thanks again for all your help. See you around smile

5. snlee profile image67
    snleeposted 11 years ago

Uploading videos to youtube has the advantage of pulling some traffic to your hub if you add you the link of your hub article in the video.

Thanks for that valuable tip, snlee. I realize that I will eventually have to sign up if I'm going to optimize my hubber performance and earning potential.

1. agvulpes profile image84
        agvulpesposted 11 years agoin reply to this

As YouTube is now owned by Google you may already have access to a YouTube account through your Gmail account, worth having a look at. It is just my opinion but I think it is still better to put your own videos on to YT and use the Video capsule in HP.  You then have an option to 'monitise' your videos on YT as well as HP ? smile

Thank you so much, agvulpes, more great advice. I love this communiy smile

2. Marisa Wright profile image87
          Marisa Wrightposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I agree with agvulpes.

2. NateB11 profile image89
      NateB11posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Good idea. I hadn't thought of that. I've used a Youtube video of mine on a Hub, I'll have to go link it.

6. Kangaroo_Jase profile image74
    Kangaroo_Jaseposted 11 years ago

The answers lie within the Leraning Center entries on video.

1. Marisa Wright profile image87

True, but what it doesn't say is that it makes sense to post your video on Youtube first, then put it on a Hub, because that way you get double exposure.

1. Kangaroo_Jase profile image74
        Kangaroo_Jaseposted 11 years agoin reply to this

...and that is because HubPages doesn't benefit from a Youtube Adsense earnings, but the Hubber does (as agvulpes above suggests). I saw this potential when HubPages really started promoting video based hubs on HubPages.

Happy New Year Marisa!

Happy New Year!

2. agvulpes profile image84

Happy New Year to both Marisa and Jake smile

3. agvulpes profile image84

I have yet to read any data on the benefits of videos being posted on HP alone?
          It is my opinion that 'searchers' would find your videos on YT much more easily than on HP?
          And that is just an opinion I have no data to quote as back-up smile  You may have some data to point at that would change my opinion?

I don't think there is any, and I recall one Hubber recently who wrote a heap of video Hubs and found the traffic was pitiful compared to his Youtube account.   I honestly can't see a driving reason why you wouldn't go the Youtube/conventional Hub combo.

7. Kangaroo_Jase profile image74
    Kangaroo_Jaseposted 11 years ago

@agvulpes,

I am supplementing Marisa's comments as above. But I would suggest that YT videos are a little like articles. They have aged alot more than vids on HP, so one can assume their is more juice with YT than any other video content provider in terms of videos found via search engines.

@Kangaroo_Jase,  Are you saying that, because YouTube Videos have aged longer than HP videos they get more 'juice'?
      If you are, I'm not sure that I would totally agree. I am more inclined to think that more 'viewers' are tuned into Youtube (as it is virtually a video only site) than HP looking for a video.
      If they find a video on HP it is , IMO almost pure luck, I have no idea how HP promotes its video Hubs?   I would also note that YT  has more 'authority' with the mother search engine of Google.smile

8. janshares profile image93
    jansharesposted 11 years ago

Great points all of you make. But I guess the option you choose depends on your objective. I thought the purpose of using the video was to enhance the article. Unless the video is central to the purpose of the hub, seems that the YT route would be sufficient. For example, if I was to use a music video to create a tone, YT makes sense to me. Conversely, if it's a "how to" or recipe hub, a video hub makes more sense. I don't see alot of video hubs here at hp, I guess because this is mainly an article site. But the popular recipes video hubs seem to do very well.

Yes, that's the way I see it too - the video enhances the article, not the other way around.  But that's probably because we're writers.

As you say, the "video Hub" option is meant to be used when the video is the most important part of the Hub.  The problem is that you still need to add a considerable amount of text to help Google understand what the Hub is about, because robots can't read the video.  So you might as well use the usual format anyway - the only difference is that the video Hub autoplays (which I don't like anyway).

@Marisa I do agree with all of your points but looking at it from my point of view (I openly admit to professing to be more of an observer/photographer than an author/writer) I feel that if you use YT there is no problem in setting Hubs up exactly the same way as a 'Video Hub'.
        That way you have an opportunity to pick up 'veiws' to your Hub via YouTube (using YT in the correct SEO way of course)!  Why lose that opportunity?
        We still don't know how Hubpages advertise our Hubs do we?

Well yes, exactly.   The only difference I can see is that the video on a "Video Hub" autoplays when you open it.

I'm assuming a Video Hub may have a "rich snippet" markup telling Google it's a video, and since videos are so hot right now, that might give it some advantage.

They way I'm hearing 'it' is that Autoplay has not been accepted all that well?  Personally I always press the 'pause' button so that I can read something about the Hub first, if I like what I read I will then consider playing the video.  Why waste my bandwidth?
            If HP is using a 'rich snippet' markup it would appear that it is not very effective!

I had always understood Autoplay was a no-no.  A lot of people surf at work, or while their child is sleeping,  and don't want sound playing without warning!   However HubPages points out that all the video sites (e.g. Youtube) autoplay.  I guess the reasoning is that if someone has arrived at a site wanting to see a video, they'll expect it to play.

I guess they do have a valid point!  When I click on a video link to YT from an email I have no worries about it auto playing, the only difference is that the only thing I am expecting to see is a Video with minimal text!   Maybe this is what HP is trying to achieve?
                snlee has another valid point in that when we embed video links into our hubs they do not auto-play (thank goodness)  Maybe this is where we as 'older hands' are at cross-purposes?
                I don't know why HP cannot put an option choice in the Video Hubs to appease us older Hubbers?

...except that if you create a video Hub with minimal text, it's at high risk of getting idled, and it also doesn't do well in search engines.  There was a long thread recently from someone who was making Video Hubs with very little text, and finding them to be a total failure - whereas his videos on Youtube were doing well.

That would certainly validate the way that I am thinking at the present point of time!
                    I hope that the hierarchy here at HP are following this thread (doubtful) because they may well be wasting a lot of storage space (videos) they need to put a lot more work and thought into their video venture to come up the big kids on the block.
                    I'm also not sure about the benefits of the 'idling' feature but I guess that's food for another 'thread'smile

9. snlee profile image67
    snleeposted 11 years ago

I don't encounter YOUTUBE  AUTOPLAY issue in my HP article. I would copy the 'embedded codes' of my youtube video and paste them in HP video capsule. So my video  plays only when readers click  the play button as similar to Youtube, I have a youtube video in my article... <link snipped>

10. agilitymach profile image92
    agilitymachposted 11 years ago

I always link from my Youtube account on my Hubpages.  Videos play a very important role in the dog sport I write about, and while I can describe it in the article, there isn't anything that can replace video.  Fortunately, I have over the years made over 50 Youtube videos on this topic, so I have a vast, personal array of videos to choose from for my articles.

The biggest plus is that people seem to actually be watching my videos and that is keeping them entertained and on my pages well beyond the average time span. I feel my articles would be quite bland without the videos to enhance them and keep them entertaining both from a visual and information standpoint.

I do have to say that some hubs I've seen have videos that don't relate directly  to the topic.  These are annoying to watch.

I don't use HP video feature because I find it too limiting.  I like the lay-out freedom Youtube videos provide.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)