jump to last post 1-10 of 10 discussions (19 posts)

CPC not adding up...what's the deal?

1. HELLA profile image61
    HELLAposted 6 years ago

Hi All! I have a keyword that is searched for at least 2,000 per month with a high CPC. Every time I get a click however, I make like 50 cents on the click...the keyword is worth more than 20 bucks according to he Google Keyword Tool. What's the deal here? Am I missing something? Do I earn money based on the keywords people used to find me?

For instance if the CPC of example was $50 and the CPC of examples of stuff was $5, if someone found my page by searching for examples of stuff rather than example, I would make money based off of that keyword? I don't know...I am making money, but it just doesnt seem to add up. 

Thanks!

1. thisisoli profile image55
      thisisoliposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Remember that people are bidding $0.05 on the same keyword that other people are bidding $20 on.  The ads are then distributed accordingly. Your page is probably not ranked highly enough in Googles eyes to merit the highest tier of advertiements.

Check out my hub called Why You Earn Cents Rather Than Dollars on High Value Adsense Keywords. for more information.

I was pretty tired when I wrote it, so it is not my best work, it does contian some useful info though.

1. HELLA profile image61
        HELLAposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I will thanks Thisisoli!

2. sunforged profile image70
    sunforgedposted 6 years ago

you have dozens if not hundreds of possible "keywords" on your articles - the one you wanted isnt triggering the ad. (its triggered by the text, not the search)

.50 is a good click - now just get 100 more clickers a day and you will average out smile

1. HELLA profile image61

Thanks Sunforged...That's what I'm going for! My CPC has been steadily increasing....one of my hubs seems seasonal though.

3. frogdropping profile image85
    frogdroppingposted 6 years ago

Hella you only ever receive a small % of the eCPC. That's how it works. And be careful the info that you share re your CPC. Against Adsense TOS You are using examples right?

1. HELLA profile image61

Right....just random numbers. I was sure not to detail specifics. Thanks for the heads up!

4. sunforged profile image70

the percentage is 62% or 67% cant recall - but its better than small smile

and he has shared nothing private and used generalizations in his post

5. frogdropping profile image85

Ohhhhkay that's good then smile

I never do the math with mine. I never do the math with anything pretty much. I remain ever impressed whenever anyone shows up chatting about % this or % that smile

6. sunforged profile image70

its actually - 68% sad

http://adsense.blogspot.com/2010/05/ads … share.html

and some percentages work

I like this one smile

http://hubpages.com/hub/Keyword-tips-Mo … g-keywords

it takes in account - hubshare of impressions and average ctr rates

although one of the numbers is rather arbitrary - so it isnt rock solid.. sad

1. travelespresso profile image81
      travelespressoposted 6 years ago in reply to this

It is confusing but, I just read your EXCELLENT hub on this SF.  Its great and helped me a lot.  Thanks.

7. frogdropping profile image85

Ok great. So run that % calculation by me again. It's 'x' / 'x' times by ... It was a long time since I was at school neutral

1. wordscribe43 profile image92
      wordscribe43posted 6 years ago in reply to this

Oh, for cryin' out loud, froggy!  Keep up, would ya?

It's 3.14 + .986 x 0 + .04

Sheesh!  roll

(What sunforged said!)

1. frogdropping profile image85
        frogdroppingposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Nope. Lost big_smile

Hello WS. Nice to see you smile

@ sunforged - thank you. I'm sufficiently bamboozled.

Good to see you, too.  I'm similarly lost!  sad

8. sunforged profile image70

Global searches x eCpc x .68 x Z x 60% x 4% = earning potential of a Hubpage via adsense

z=(arbitary percentage that top ranked content in serps is clicked ie, SERP ctr smile  I lowball it at 60%)

4% is a rather high CTR - I would use whatever my normal CTR is instead. I think i used 3% in the hub. Im happy with 2% since adsense is my least favored aff.

4% and greater is the land of the poorly targetted, mistitled, misled , badly spun or written in horrendous english, IMO

9. frogdropping profile image85

*hands WS a map*

We need to get back to our exclusive 100 Club wink

Those were the days, weren't they?  Those gorgeous three digits... sigh. 

Thanks for the map, I'm afraid I need step-by-step directions as well as a GPS.  Glad it's not just me.

10. frogdropping profile image85

You know *getting conversational* it's late here, can't sleep because I can't breath when I lay down, and I can hear a muppet that's making owl noises. Now - we live directly opposite a gorgeous church, that looks kinda spooky in the dark.

Question - should I let Boo go out and play with the faux owl. She wants to smile

Back to the OP - I shall go read SF's hub. Maybe that will help. If I work it out WS, I will come back and share my simple understanding of it.

working