CPC not adding up...what's the deal?

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (19 posts)
  1. HELLA profile image61
    HELLAposted 13 years ago

Hi All! I have a keyword that is searched for at least 2,000 per month with a high CPC. Every time I get a click however, I make like 50 cents on the click...the keyword is worth more than 20 bucks according to he Google Keyword Tool. What's the deal here? Am I missing something? Do I earn money based on the keywords people used to find me?

For instance if the CPC of example was $50 and the CPC of examples of stuff was $5, if someone found my page by searching for examples of stuff rather than example, I would make money based off of that keyword? I don't know...I am making money, but it just doesnt seem to add up. 

Thanks!

1. thisisoli profile image72
      thisisoliposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Remember that people are bidding $0.05 on the same keyword that other people are bidding $20 on.  The ads are then distributed accordingly. Your page is probably not ranked highly enough in Googles eyes to merit the highest tier of advertiements.

Check out my hub called Why You Earn Cents Rather Than Dollars on High Value Adsense Keywords. for more information.

I was pretty tired when I wrote it, so it is not my best work, it does contian some useful info though.

1. HELLA profile image61
        HELLAposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I will thanks Thisisoli!

2. sunforged profile image70
    sunforgedposted 13 years ago

you have dozens if not hundreds of possible "keywords" on your articles - the one you wanted isnt triggering the ad. (its triggered by the text, not the search)

.50 is a good click - now just get 100 more clickers a day and you will average out smile

1. HELLA profile image61

Thanks Sunforged...That's what I'm going for! My CPC has been steadily increasing....one of my hubs seems seasonal though.

3. frogdropping profile image77
    frogdroppingposted 13 years ago

Hella you only ever receive a small % of the eCPC. That's how it works. And be careful the info that you share re your CPC. Against Adsense TOS You are using examples right?

1. HELLA profile image61

Right....just random numbers. I was sure not to detail specifics. Thanks for the heads up!

4. sunforged profile image70

the percentage is 62% or 67% cant recall - but its better than small smile

and he has shared nothing private and used generalizations in his post

5. frogdropping profile image77

Ohhhhkay that's good then smile

I never do the math with mine. I never do the math with anything pretty much. I remain ever impressed whenever anyone shows up chatting about % this or % that smile

6. sunforged profile image70

its actually - 68% sad

http://adsense.blogspot.com/2010/05/ads … share.html

and some percentages work

I like this one smile

http://hubpages.com/hub/Keyword-tips-Mo … g-keywords

it takes in account - hubshare of impressions and average ctr rates

although one of the numbers is rather arbitrary - so it isnt rock solid.. sad

1. travelespresso profile image69
      travelespressoposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It is confusing but, I just read your EXCELLENT hub on this SF.  Its great and helped me a lot.  Thanks.

7. frogdropping profile image77

Ok great. So run that % calculation by me again. It's 'x' / 'x' times by ... It was a long time since I was at school neutral

1. wordscribe43 profile image89
      wordscribe43posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Oh, for cryin' out loud, froggy!  Keep up, would ya?

It's 3.14 + .986 x 0 + .04

Sheesh!  roll

(What sunforged said!)

1. frogdropping profile image77
        frogdroppingposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Nope. Lost big_smile

Hello WS. Nice to see you smile

@ sunforged - thank you. I'm sufficiently bamboozled.

Good to see you, too.  I'm similarly lost!  sad

8. sunforged profile image70

Global searches x eCpc x .68 x Z x 60% x 4% = earning potential of a Hubpage via adsense

z=(arbitary percentage that top ranked content in serps is clicked ie, SERP ctr smile  I lowball it at 60%)

4% is a rather high CTR - I would use whatever my normal CTR is instead. I think i used 3% in the hub. Im happy with 2% since adsense is my least favored aff.

4% and greater is the land of the poorly targetted, mistitled, misled , badly spun or written in horrendous english, IMO

9. frogdropping profile image77

*hands WS a map*

We need to get back to our exclusive 100 Club wink

Those were the days, weren't they?  Those gorgeous three digits... sigh. 

Thanks for the map, I'm afraid I need step-by-step directions as well as a GPS.  Glad it's not just me.

10. frogdropping profile image77

You know *getting conversational* it's late here, can't sleep because I can't breath when I lay down, and I can hear a muppet that's making owl noises. Now - we live directly opposite a gorgeous church, that looks kinda spooky in the dark.

Question - should I let Boo go out and play with the faux owl. She wants to smile

Back to the OP - I shall go read SF's hub. Maybe that will help. If I work it out WS, I will come back and share my simple understanding of it.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)