jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (10 posts)

Coding errors - blind person website access?

1. WryLilt profile image88
    WryLiltposted 6 years ago

I just had this message left on my hub (Everything I wish I knew when I joined Hubpages):

"Part of solution or problem?

This page has coding errors - great if you are sight impaired cause the page doesn't read correctly!

The person creating the content and Hub will find themselves liable for such breaches of internet coding.

Case: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maguire_v_SOCOG_2000

Good search results ensure you are exposing yourself."

A little confused. Not sure if it's directed at me or hubpages in general. So throwing it out here in hopes other members or staff can shed light on it.

2. WryLilt profile image88
    WryLiltposted 6 years ago

No comments?

3. Aficionada profile image90
    Aficionadaposted 6 years ago

I saw this earlier and didn't check the link so didn't comment. Without having done that (and it really is pretty essential), my gut feeling would be that this person is trying to gain attention of some kind.  On the other hand, the wording reminds me of a comment on one of my Hubs.  I think I will go check yours out and see if it could be the same person.

1. WryLilt profile image88
      WryLiltposted 6 years ago in reply to this

It's by Anon, and the link is merely to a wikipedia article about a blind person who sued a website for not being disabled accessible...

1. Diane Inside profile image82
        Diane Insideposted 6 years ago in reply to this

It almost sounds like he is going to sue you for not catering to the blind.

That's funny.

4. darkside profile image80
    darksideposted 6 years ago

Blind people have used HubPages in the past.

5. Aficionada profile image90
    Aficionadaposted 6 years ago

Blyech, I hate reading Legalese!  (Sorry, to my lawyer and judge friends.)

The two things that I think let you and HP off the hook are that the ruling on the law applied to "Australian sites targeting overseas customers" and also it referred to the need for agency websites to pass accessibility tests.  What agency would be involved here?

----
    Before submitting this, I saw Darkside's comment.  What is your opinion on this matter, Darkside?

1. darkside profile image80
      darksideposted 6 years ago in reply to this

No comment big_smile

1. Aficionada profile image90
        Aficionadaposted 6 years ago in reply to this

big_smile  big_smile  big_smile  big_smile - Wise man!

6. 2uesday profile image85
    2uesdayposted 6 years ago

There are no photos in the hub so the only bit of info I know about making hubs easier to access for people with sight problems is  not relevant to it. However it might be helpful to know.

I know that when you post a photo if you describe it briefly (in the caption below it) it can then be read (by the device?) that helps partially sighted people access the internet.

Apart from that not sure what they mean but I do try to split my hubs into shorter areas of text to make them easier to read on a screen than if I were writing for a page.

The coding error part of the message I do n't have a clue about. Maybe a message to HubPages staff will solve the mystery on this.

working