If I see an error on someone's hub, should I tell them? Or is that bad HubPages

Jump to Last Post 1-25 of 25 discussions (25 posts)
  1. Sherry Hewins profile image93
    Sherry Hewinsposted 12 years ago

If I see an error on someone's hub, should I tell them? Or is that bad HubPages etiquette?

I'm talking about a spelling error or something similar.

2. sgbrown profile image91
    sgbrownposted 12 years ago

I would really like to know if there is an error on one of my hubs. I think it would be the right thing to do.  I have recently told someone of an error and they appreciated the "heads up".  There are just a lot of great people on HubPages, I hope no one would be offended, after all, you are just trying to help them. smile

3. terrektwo profile image81
    terrektwoposted 12 years ago

I would say it depends on how large the error is. A spelling mistake I wouldn't bother with but if there is something horribly wrong with it they may not have realized you might be doing them a favor. Depends on the situation.

4. Pollyannalana profile image61
    Pollyannalanaposted 12 years ago

I would ignore it. Even with friends I have experienced no thank you, although I would love to have someone point out an error of mine, but I do comb my writings to make sure seeing so many errors on others. I sometimes wonder if people read over their work even once and if they don't apparently they don't care, so I decided it is not my business to.

5. hoteltravel profile image63
    hoteltravelposted 12 years ago

I have often wondered how to tackle this issue. I think it is ok to bring the errors to their attention if I know them well through hubpages interactions. Otherwise, I prefer to keep mum.

6. gregas profile image83
    gregasposted 12 years ago

I have found several but only have mentioned a couple in a very casual way. Even with a little humor like, "Between you and me". I would really appreciate any suggested corrections. I like mine to be the best possible they can and I know I DO make mistakes. As much as I would like to be perfect, I know I am not.
    Greg

7. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image81
    Wesman Todd Shawposted 12 years ago

If you see one on my hubs, then PLEASE  tell me.  I think it's mostly a matter of how well you know someone.

If you're cool with someone - then what I've done is say, "Hey, you can delete this comment - but I wanted to tell you that ______"

I've done things like that and been thanked for it, but if I am on a real talking basis with someone, then I'd email them instead of doing that.

Some folks, however....would definitely take offence, but me....I appreciate the help!

8. brittanytodd profile image88
    brittanytoddposted 12 years ago

PLEASE tell me if there is a typo or gramatical error on one of my hubs!  I guess I would prefer if you contacted me via the button on my homepage instead of commenting on the hub, though.

9. Angela Blair profile image69
    Angela Blairposted 12 years ago

I'm no expert at grammar, capitalization, etc., etc. but grade school teaches you that "I" is capitalized and using "i" in it's place is not acceptable. I've noticed this on quite a few Hubs and don't know if it's the "in thing" or just laziness. I'm inclined to believe the latter. I once made a suggestion and was told in no uncertain terms that my punctuation and diction was outdated -- so I now stay in my own corner and don't make waves.

10. Turtlewoman profile image87
    Turtlewomanposted 12 years ago

I would definitely love it if someone points out an error on my hub! I would rather have a Hubber find my mistake than an outside reader.

11. rajan jolly profile image91
    rajan jollyposted 12 years ago

This is a good question. Though I see it happen, I keep quiet about it (unless I know the hubber since sometime) as I do not know in what spirit the hubber is going to take my pointer. As for my hubs, a couple of hubbers did point out some puctuation errors and I thanked them for it as I know it improved my hub quality, after I made the corrections.
    I feel this is no reason to get offended but to appreciate the fact that one is getting an opportunity to raise the quality of one's hubs by having error free hubs. Ofcourse, it should be pointed out in a friendly way.

12. MartieCoetser profile image68
    MartieCoetserposted 12 years ago

I would like my readers to draw my attention to errors via email. I always appreciate this. To give advice and critic in the comment sections, makes the giver and the receiver feel a bit uncomfortable. We don't want to step on each other's toes. But nicely via messages we CAN - and as co-writers we SHOULD - lead each other to greater heights.

13. CZCZCZ profile image89
    CZCZCZposted 12 years ago

It depends I am one that prefers to know if what I am saying is factually incorrect.  However it is more of a small issue such as a grammar problem or odd way of writing something i would just let it go unless between friends.  However I think the community should provide real comments if there is something that should be addressed with what is being written to not only improve the overall quality of content but to also help others improve.  It doesnt need to be a big deal when someone makes a comment, I had someone correct a name as I referenced an individual in the hub and I misspelled the persons name, no hard feelings, i corrected the error thanked the commenter and moved on and the hub was better for it in the end.

14. JenJen0703 profile image80
    JenJen0703posted 12 years ago

I would email the person and let them know of their mistake and where to find it.  It is important that our hubs be free of grammar as much as possible.  Not to mention, informing others can bring you good karma, and maybe that person will notify you of any mistake you will make.

15. DonnaCosmato profile image88
    DonnaCosmatoposted 12 years ago

This is a wonderful question and one I struggle with. I do want people to let me know about errors that I make in my writing, but I've been hesitant to approach other people about that issue because you never know when you will unintentionally offend someone. I like Wesman Todd Shaw's suggestion for an approach to this issue. In the past, I've sent a private email, but I think I'll opt for his suggestion from now on.

16. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image83
    Marcy Goodfleischposted 12 years ago

I truly hope a fellow (or fellowette) Hubber would let me know if they spot errors in my hubs. I'm a traditionalist in terms of writing and grammar rules, but I absolutely know it's far too easy to miss an editing mistake and flinch if you don't spot it.

As with others here, I'd probably prefer a personal message, so I can make the edits and send a heartfelt Thank You! to the kind soul who helped me out. Besides, we can then become site-buddies and stay in touch.

JenJen is right that it's important for our hubs to be as accurate and free of errors as possible. Those who resent the feedback not only harm themselves, they bring down the ratings of the entire site (and this includes the ones who type i rather than I).

Great question - thanks for putting the topic out for comment!

17. Bretsuki profile image68
    Bretsukiposted 12 years ago

Hello, I wouldn't mind a message if their is a spelling mistake. Bear in mind though there are people from many nations on HubPages and English is spelled differently in many of them.

The classic case of this is the 'U' is present in many British English words but not in American English spellings.

I think it is important to make factual errors clearer. I have seen many hubs which are written about subjects that I am familiar with and are full of major errors. Then I would also e-mail the author.

18. skinsman82000 profile image72
    skinsman82000posted 12 years ago

I'd have to say I would want to know.  I want good quality hubs, and I can't have them with simple spelling/grammatical errors.

19. Michael J Rapp profile image60
    Michael J Rappposted 12 years ago

I'd sure like to know if there was an error on one of my Hubs, either grammatical or factual. I would prefer to receive the news by message though rather than in the comments. I do my best to stop myself from looking stupid every day, but a little assistance never hurts!

20. JKenny profile image90
    JKennyposted 12 years ago

I think its okay to do it, but only in a polite way, without being rude. I wouldn't mind people pointing out my errors in a polite way. I agree with Bretsuki, that we have to remember that there are people from different nations on here. British Hubbers, for example spell certain words differently like colour and labour differently, and we also have different names for certain things e.g.

Biscuits= Cookies
    Pushchair= Stroller
    Pavement= Sidewalk

and so on...

21. ladeda profile image60
    ladedaposted 12 years ago

Personally, I would like someone to inform me (kindly) if I made an error in one of my hubs. It's just another form of constructive criticism which I appreciate, and it makes my writing better in the future.

22. mary-deo profile image59
    mary-deoposted 12 years ago

IMO, it's okay to correct those mistake you pointed out in a certain hub, as sometimes it can't be seen most especially spelling error. It would not disappoint the hub owner nor make it fell bad instead he/she should be thankful for the correction needed to apply.

23. profile image0
    Angie497posted 12 years ago

Generally speaking, if someone spots a typo or such, I'd like to know about it so that I could correct it, although I would hope that (a) they'd send me a message rather than make a public comment and (b) that they would do it politely. What I don't care for much are people that want to 'correct' an opinion or interpretation.

24. ChaplinSpeaks profile image93
    ChaplinSpeaksposted 12 years ago

I have corrected someone once, by sending an email and politely pointing it out.  It was just one word, but the Hub was awesome and I thought they would want it to be perfect.  I did not receive a reply, but some people do not want to reveal their email address on Hub Pages.
    If it was a poorly written Hub with a bunch of mistakes, I don't think I would point them all out, well, because I am not their editor!
    For me, yes, I would appreciate a quick email if you see a glaring mistake on one of mine.

25. Evylyn Rose profile image60
    Evylyn Roseposted 12 years ago

Those of us who are serious Hubbers come across errors of various magnitudes in others' writing. Do we correct them or not? How do we go about alerting fellow Hubbers to their mistakes? What do we do when our good intentions are met with hostility? read more

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)