Sales hubs - could use some help here.

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (20 posts)
  1. Beth100 profile image68
    Beth100posted 13 years ago

Ok, writing is a snap but I've decided to try and venture into sales hubs.  Never done this before....could use some good pointers to improve these and future ones. 

My first attempt:  http://hubpages.com/hub/Buy-Swarovski-C … Decorating

My second attempt:  http://hubpages.com/hub/Buy-Swarovski-H … -Ornaments

Thanks for your suggestions!

2. WryLilt profile image88
    WryLiltposted 13 years ago

Main tips: Continue to put an Adsense block top right on sales hubs just like informational hubs. This will get clicks from the 'lookers' while the 'buyers' will hopefully continue down the page.

In the first hub, maybe add some more words on the left - there isn't much filler there, leaving some gaps.

1. Jo Deslaurier profile image68
      Jo Deslaurierposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Beth100- Great post I'm trying to learn as much as I can as well.

WryLilt- Could you tell me how to place a block on Adsense?

1. WryLilt profile image88
        WryLiltposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Jo, if you leave a single text capsule at the top of the page, without anything beside it, the largest adsense block will display there when published.

It takes approximately 75-100 words to make it show, so just go in and out of preview or edit mode to check. The block will show up when you have enough words.

It's the best place to have the advert because people will see it first and are more likely to click.

Edit: You've done it perfectly in your hub 'Buy Plus Size Wedding Dresses Online', Jo.

1. Jo Deslaurier profile image68
          Jo Deslaurierposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for your help!

3. Beth100 profile image68

Thanks Wrylilt!  I've turned Adsense off but will have to return to write the filler.  hmmm...I'm not much of a marketing writer, so this may take some time.  lol

Good luck - I had written about 100 hubs before I finally decided to do product hubs.

I always thought of it as  a 'lower' level of writing, but I've realized that, like every writing type, someone needs to sell items and explain their best points, so why shouldn't it be me! And it's also more of a challenge than informational writing, in a different way.

Keep at it, although I always keep one thing in mind "The main aim is to get them to click through to Amazon."

As long as you start getting clicks, that means you'll eventually start getting sales - and I've found that I get a lot more amazon sales from ~150 sales hub views a day than from 900+ informational hub views!

4. Beth100 profile image68

Thanks for the encouragement!  I need it.  A little over a year here and still haven't even reached payout with Adsense.  lol  Guess by Adsense doesn't make much cents!  lol  Oh well, I didn't initially join to make money, just to write.  Seems like I have been bitten with the money bug (for now).  smile

5. livewithrichard profile image72
    livewithrichardposted 13 years ago

Beth I make a lot of sales hubs and I can tell you that I have the most success when the very first module is either Amazon or Ebay.  Don't put a picture or video first.  And you're not optimizing them for adsense.  The first thing a visitor sees is a sampling of your products so they know right away this is a SALES hub.

When you do this, you have to make sure that you un-check the calculated summary and create a unique summary with your product name and or keywords, otherwise you get stuck with product ads in your summary and that's no help.

Here is a simple layout that I use:

Ebay or Amazon (one or the other, not both and not 2)
    Text -> Photo
    Ebay -> Ebay (or Amazon -> Amazon) (2 products mods on same row)
    Text
    Ebay -> Ebay (or Amazon -> Amazon)
    Text (this is where I encourage visitors to become hubbers)
    Photo (image to encourage sharing and bookmarking)
    Photo (image to encourage rating the hub preferably up)
    Comments
    News or RSS (this is optional to keep the page dynamic)

This layout puts a lot of product on your page to choose from, it encourages referrals, bookmarking, and rating. And, HP will optimize the advertising space for you.  Check out my latest hub on Lladro Figurines as an example.

Beth100posted 13 years agoin reply to this

LivewithRichard -- I'm coming over to check out your hubs and your wording.  Thanks a lot for explaining your layout which really works for you.  I'm open for the right format to maximize the number of products but retain it's readability.  I hadn't thought of side by side, which would help me minimize the white space (which, in my opinion, is unsightly).  Again, thanks a bunch!!  smile

6. Denise Handlon profile image84
    Denise Handlonposted 13 years ago

Great question and request, Beth.  I have yet to do an ad hub, however, I've been curious about venturing down that road and wasn't sure how to get started. 

Thanks for opening the door!   smile

7. WryLilt profile image88
    WryLiltposted 13 years ago

I'm sure you all know who Nelle Hoxie is - she writes sales hubs and earns quite a decent living from them.

This thread by her may interest anyone looking to learn what exactly to put in a sales hub:

http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/50840

8. Appletreedeals profile image67
    Appletreedealsposted 13 years ago

@Beth100
    Not a critique - just some thoughts

1. Your text by each item does have descriptive "benefit" words, which is good, but the Amazon ad photos are small so - perhaps a 1/4-size photo above the Amazon ad to give the reader a better view? Or not, they can always click the ad to see it, but maybe they would have a higher interest level when they clicked? Just a thought.

2. As mentioned, I think your text is enticing and interest-generating, but what about a blurb to tell them why they should buy from Amazon - with a "call-to-action" that tells them why they should Buy now! (remember you lose your Amazon cookie for them when they leave Amazon, generally speaking) I like to do this with a text capsule between two dividing lines, between 2 sales capsules. This link will show you a module like I am describing: http://hubpages.com/hub/AquaDoodle-Top- … d_10541701

3. What is your purpose for the "Light Reading" links that send your readers away from your page? If it is just for the related-topic links juice, perhaps a links capsule below a comment module would work. You would get the same related topic link juice effect, but it would be out of sight, (most readers stop at the comments capsule), thus less chance of sending your readers away.

Just some thoughts, I'm certainly not qualified to give "expert" advice, besides the reality of "different strokes for different folks"

GA

Just a note - the Amazon cookie is active for 24 hours after click through.

Any items placed in the shopping trolley are on that cookie for 89 days after click through.

(For the first sale only of course.)

1. Appletreedeals profile image67
        Appletreedealsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

...as I said, "generally speaking..." but, I think that that 24hrs is only good as long as they don't come back to Amazon through somebody else's link, in which case I think their link will replace yours

regardless, I should think a motivating call to "Buy now" would be more beneficial than just hoping to hang on to a cookie for 24hrs.

as to the second part about, interesting question, I think I'll do a post question on it. When I buy online I buy, I don't ever remember leaving things in a cart to come back to later. But maybe that's just a guy's way of shopping.

GA

2. Beth100 profile image68

GA, I'm here to learn how to do this.  smile  You're suggestions have me thinking of how to do this and roll it in with Richards format (above).  The point you made about the light reading is really on the spot.  I'll be moving both rss and newsfeeds to the bottom.  Thank you for some great suggestions (and link).  smile

3. lrohner profile image68
      lrohnerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Not a good idea. You WANT them to click over to Amazon, regardless of whether they buy that product or not. It puts the Amazon cookie into play with your ID on it. Doing as you described is what's known as "too much information."

That's what I was just thinking after rereading it... 

Is there a way to enlarge the Amazon ad?  I don't think so, right?

9. sofs profile image76
    sofsposted 13 years ago

Thanks for this thread Beth...I had almost given up sales hubs after writing a few ... slowly getting motivated now... hope to write one very soon.

10. sunforged profile image70
    sunforgedposted 13 years ago

The Amazon "cookie' (they actually track on their end via refcode not a "physical" browser cookie) is pretty much a one shot, its pretty hard not to get your cookie overwritten. Everyone is an Amazon aff!

The harsh reality is that you want to attract a visitor in a buying mood and then get them to amazon. Im not sure how much sales techniques are coming into play with this type of online product sales online.

Personally, I think Richards template suggestion is far better than the one you are using. If you see a hub template as being 3 columns - 2 editable by us and one sidebar controlled by hubs, I think the tendency to use these squished 2 column layouts with products on the right and tiny strips of text on the left to be a design horror.

But going back to the harsh reality - a ugly template like that may force a reader to just jump into amazon or a related adsense ad quicker- so could be a great sales vehicle.

I have a dual screen wide screen lcd monitor set up and I still think reading in one little squished column is untenable. I cant imagine what it would be like with a more traditional monitor or a smaller laptop!

Im no amazon expert - but last month I averaged 30 sales a day on seasonal products and exceeded 10k in gross sales (amazon alone) - I really think basic design sense has its importance - give a viewers eyes space to breathe, control where your reader pauses, be very specific and intentional with your exit points and dont just rehash the text(product description) that they will be reading when they head over to amazon!

I half agree with lrohner - about why one would or would not use product images - but there are seo and trust values to using a few relevant images properly alted - so there is a balance to find between looking good and appropriate and driving your customer to the checkout!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)