jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (17 posts)

Average amount of orders on Amazon?

1. Peter-Jan Celis profile image59
    Peter-Jan Celisposted 7 years ago

Hi,

I was wondering, could we share the average amount of dollars spent per Amazon order referre via Hubpages (and the resulting average commission)?

I think this would be a great figure for newbies to have some estimates on.

2. relache profile image91
    relacheposted 7 years ago

The only way you'd come up with a reliable average would be if everyone had been on the site for the same amount of time, had the same amount of Hubs, was writing on the same topics, had near identical skills at writing and marketing, and was selling the same things.  Plus having similar traffic levels.

Your mileage may vary.

Peter-Jan Celisposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Sorry for the confusing title, but I meant the average $ amount of an order.

I was just interested in knowing whether you make $1 per sale, or $5, or $20...

1. lrohner profile image81
        lrohnerposted 7 years agoin reply to this

How much you make per sale has a million variables--not the least of which is the price point of the products you sell. There obviously will be a huge difference between the commission for a tablecloth and the commission for a laptop. How much you make is also totally dependent on how many products you've sold that month. With Amazon's graduated commissions, you could make anywhere from 4% to 8.5% on your sales.

On top of that, many of the products that I sell are not even products I was pushing with my hubs thanks to Amazon's 24-hour cookie. I could write a hub about cheap DVDs, for instance, and sell a 42-inch television set instead. Or vice versa.

1. Mark Ewbie profile image86
          Mark Ewbieposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Sorry newbie here.  What's with the cookie thing?  Does it mean that you get 24 hours and if they buy anything within that time frame you get a cut?

3. lrohner profile image81
    lrohnerposted 7 years ago

I agree with Relache. From what I've read, an average conversion rate (how many people who click actually buy) is somewhere between 5% to 10%. That should really be the goal you head for.

Thanks! Good to know.

4. brimancandy profile image79
    brimancandyposted 7 years ago

Does Zero count? Because I haven't made a dime.

We can start a club than big_smile

1. Jo Deslaurier profile image71
        Jo Deslaurierposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Can I also join the club?

2. PaulaHenry1 profile image79
      PaulaHenry1posted 7 years agoin reply to this

smile

5. girly_girl09 profile image80
    girly_girl09posted 7 years ago

I target lesser priced items that have less competition, which means I have a higher volume of products sold. This pushes me into a higher % earning bracket, so when I do sell big items, I appreciate that higher % rate.

Yep - I was thinking about mixing high priced and low priced items in my hub portfolio for exactly the reason you are specifying.

6. relache profile image91
    relacheposted 7 years ago

Peter, you really need to read the Amazon affiliate agreement and FAQ on their site.  There's a tiered payout in effect.  How much you sell can change how much you earn, and how much you earn depends on the price of what you sell.

Hi Relache, yes I know of the tiered commissions based on items sold and I realize the benefits it implies of promoting a mix of cheap and expensive products.

All I wanted to know was stuff like "I get between $2 and $6 commission on most Amazon orders I refer".

Anyway, just a curiosity smile

7. Hovalis profile image85
    Hovalisposted 7 years ago

I'm sorry to say it, Relache is right. It really is like asking "How long is a piece of string?" The reason is that there really isn't a clear or concise answer you can give. There are too many factors involved. People can give you a pretty good idea of their conversion rate when someone clicks through, but other than that, there are too many variables.

8. funride profile image67
    funrideposted 7 years ago

I get between a few cents (mp3 music) and $7-8 commission on most Amazon sales I refer... there were some sales that earn me more but most of my sales are sport goods and electronic devices.

You`ll need specific product hubs and good traffic before you start to see regular sales wink

Good luck!

working