Yay!!! I did my 30 hubs.

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (38 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Sophia Angeliqueposted 13 years ago

Actually, I did 31 hubs, but that will do.

I'm going to take a rest now. smile

1. Ultimate Hubber profile image71
      Ultimate Hubberposted 13 years agoin reply to this

That is 31 in 6 days!!
      From the title I thought you took the 30 in 30 challenge.

Well done!

1. profile image0
        Sophia Angeliqueposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Well, yes, I did! I completed my 30 hubs.

It doesn't matter if one finishes them beforehand, does it.

Anyway, if feels really good! smile

I feel as if I'm accomplished a milestone. smile

1. Ultimate Hubber profile image71
          Ultimate Hubberposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Of course not. This is a bigger achievement.

2. saleheensblog profile image60
      saleheensblogposted 13 years agoin reply to this

had a quick look at your hubs. Your hubs are of poor quality. Leave alone the SEO facts, if I just focus on the quality of the content I would say those are not up to standard. Your hubs are very short mostly ranges from 200-400 word. To be honest if you keep writing similar type of hubs you hardly stand any chance to earn anything. So you better take a break now and learn the ropes of success first. And the first and foremost rule is unique and quality contents that at least have 500 words.

Good Luck. You have potential and I believe you are very hard working. You just need to make a proper game plan. smile

1. profile image0

You couldn't possibly have looked at my 'hubs'. smile

There are only two out of 31 hubs that have between 200 and 400 words. The rest are between 800 and 8000 words.

The two I wrote this morning (for Sidila) were kept to the minimum for a very specific reason which I'm not going to share with you.

As for poor SEO, that's funny. I've already started earning after only 6 days and google is picking up some of my stuff. smile Not much, mind you, but enough to let me know, I'm on the right track. And I haven't even at this point bothered to put up ads or even to begin to contact people to backlink, etc. In fact, I only just decided an hour ago, after some intensive research what I'm predominantly going to focus on. smile

My game plan is just fine, thank you. smile

May I suggest you go and look at ALL my hubs, and then reevaluate your opinion?

May i suggest before you offer advice and criticism as to 'poor quality' you take a solid look at what someone else is producing?  smile

And may I also take the opportunity of thanking you for your good wishes.

1. saleheensblog profile image60

well, I am sorry for my ignorance.I beg my apology.

I wasn't supposed to use the phrase "poor content",it was my mistake, I apologize again. Indeed you write better than many including me in HP. smile

Your SEO strategy is excellent. No complain and I am no expert to critique your game plan.

Congrats on your achievement and best of luck. Thank you. smile

1. profile image0

That's alright. You're forgiven. smile

smile  wink

thank you.

3. waystodos profile image41
      waystodosposted 13 years agoin reply to this

come on. you did a good job

2. saleheensblog profile image60
    saleheensblogposted 13 years ago

brrrrr, your keyword must be sick by now.

Well done.

3. Cagsil profile image69
    Cagsilposted 13 years ago

Hey Sophie,

First off, let me Congratulate you on your accomplishment. smile

YAY! Congrats!

On a different note, I would highly suggest you take the time to post a few(3) links to your Hubs in the Extreme Hub Makeover Forum thread and get advice from others on your Hubs.

It is the only forum thread where you can post links without having them snipped by HubPages Staff.

+1

2. profile image0

@ Cagsil

Which hubs do you suggest I post? There are three or four I'm still working on. However, I'm posting them because the spiders are always browsing and I want them up sooner rather than later. I add on more copy and other stuff as I get time to do it.

smile

I will be looking at SEO in the next week or so as I like to keep tasks of the same kind together. In other words, first I do all the writing, then I do all the SEO. I haven't started with the SEO yet.

Personally, I thought what I achieved was acceptable. I published 31 hubs, most of which are of an excellent quality in terms of writing and information. Then I managed to get a personal score of 61, plus am approaching 800 hits. Plus I've already earned some income, and google has already referred some of my articles. Not a lot, but considering I  haven't even looked at SEO or monetizing my hubs, for me, that's acceptable.

Anyway, which sites do you suggest I ask others to look at. The last site I asked them to look at, I was told to break it up, and to break up most of my hubs. Some were approaching 16,000 words.

And all of that in six days. For me, that's good. People are different, and for others that might not be good enough, but for me it's okay. smile

4. Cagsil profile image69
    Cagsilposted 13 years ago

Hey Sophie,

I would recommend you do a few at a time. You choose, take control and push forward. If you are planning on adding content to any Hubs, then apparently the Hubs are incomplete and HubPages are suppose to be finished when published.

The average Hub should be no less than 400+ words. You should have on average 9-15 keywords/tags on each Hub. To get more love from Google, then I would suggest 700-1500 words per Hub.

Getting to understand SEO is helpful, but you can learn that as you use the Extreme Hub Makeover Forum thread, because the veterans will give you advice based on that knowledge. You'll learn it not only from reading Hubs based on it, but get real help from real people who honestly want to share. wink smile

1. profile image0

@Cagsil, I'm just curious. How seriously have you studied those 31 sites? smile

I've just done a search for two of my hubs and I'm no 1 on google search. Not too shabby to reach number 1 a few hours after they were written, don't you think?  wink

All my sites can stand alone as they are. Have you actually gone through them? I don't believe you have. smile

I'm also somewhat curious as to why you think I don't understand SEO. smile Do you think I got to Number 1 in google in a few hours by accident. smile

1. Cagsil profile image69
        Cagsilposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Was just trying to be helpful. You apparently have things under control. Don't be disappointed when things turn downward, which will happen once HubPages' juice wears off your Hubs.

Anyone can write an article and make it to #1 spot on Google, and only good SEO will keep it there. And, to think you would be able to maintain it, isn't likely, unless you found an exclusive niche market to take advantage of.

But, Good luck. wink

1. profile image0

@ cagsil.

I qualified as a Web designer in London in 2001 and worked for an SEO company for a while.

I started surfing and working on the net in late 1994. I've been working on the net and been hired on the web by SEO companies and sites for a decade now.

So, yes, I know it's going to take me six months or a year. And that's okay. I have a game plan in place and I intend to work very hard at it.

There is a specific forum for people asking for advice on their hubs. This isn't it. And I didn't ask. So what you offered was unsolicited and inappropriate.

1. profile image51
            Rina32posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hi Sophia,

Great accomblishment, not many people can put up this many Hubs in this short period of time just keep doing what you are doing and don’t let anybody bring you down, after all this is suppose to be fun.

1. profile image0

Rina, I am so enjoying it. It's as if every skill I've learned during the last decade is perfect for this! smile

Of course, that doesn't mean I'm not going to fall down and have to pick myself up. Of course, that will happen, and of course, I'm going to go through very frustrating periods while I get going. I understand that.

I was just a bit peeved that I wrote I had achieved my 30, and I was on a total high, and then get told my hubs are of a poor quality. They aren't, but that's besides the point.

wink

2. Cagsil profile image69
            Cagsilposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Well, I guess then, this post won't really matter too much to you, considering you think you have everything under control and don't need anyone's help.

First off, I've reviewed your latest 6 hubs and found at least multiple issues-

(a) Some hubs didn't have enough content to be useful, much less be Google friendly.
            (b) I noticed you what you said about SEO and your qualifications, and even went back to check on your keywords/tags, and on one hub I checked, there were certain not enough keywords/tags.
            (c) The hubs are not optimized for Adsense, nor were they attractive to look at- which is what happens when people rush through trying to obtain quantity over quality.

But, thank you for showing of your arrogance in the mist of my welcoming you to HubPages. As I said before, I was only trying to be helpful.

You have a good day.

I tried to say her. She became angry[may be I was a bit harsh] so I begged my apology and quit.

2. profile image0

Capsil, in your initial post your inference was that even though I had done 30 hubs, the reason why I was able to do so many was because they were so poorly done.

smile

Perhaps, you didn't mean that, but that is what came across. smile

5. katiem2 profile image60
    katiem2posted 13 years ago

What a great achomplishment.  Happy for you!  smile

1. profile image0

Thank you!

I've just hit another accomplishment.

No 1 in google search engine for two articles I posted this morning!

YAY!!!!

1. KristenGrace profile image60
        KristenGraceposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Congratulations - I know how exciting that feels when it happens smile

1. profile image0

Thank you Kristen.

My next plan is to study the money angle and see how that works. There's quite a bit to learn about Amazon and Google AdSense.

smile

6. Jo Deslaurier profile image67
    Jo Deslaurierposted 13 years ago

Congratulations!

1. profile image0

Thanks, Jo. I like your hubs by the way.

7. WryLilt profile image89
    WryLiltposted 13 years ago

Congratulations on the achievement. Definitely a great start!

However I believe you seriously need to re-evaluate your attitude towards the community. As a new member, older hubbers are trying to help. And many of the hubbers on this site earn hundreds or more each month and have put in the time and effort to get where they are. Getting them offside right from the start may not be the best plan.               

No writer likes criticism - but no writer is perfect. Much of the advice given above is sound and you should heed it.

Google always gives new pages a boost but you'll lose that after a week or so. And you can rank #1 in google for purple pigeon poop but if no one is searching that, it's a waste. Many of your hubs are on the short side with little more than words. Try adding some pictures, videos and more text to some of them. You mentioned hubs with thousands of words; the only ones I could see were creative writing pieces. If you know so much about SEO then I'm sure you'll know that creative writing is one of least likely types of online writing to get hits or money.

1. profile image0

I'm sorry to offend. I was offended, too.

A few days ago, I went to the guys on the section where people reviewed one of my  hubs and was told that I had too much work in it and it was best to divide them.  So, that is what I did.  I also seem to recall that someone said it was best to keep them shorter rather than very long.

Now, I seem to be being told the opposite. smile

It's a bit confusing.

The reason I ranked no 1 was because the particular phrase isn't yet being used on the web.  It's true that because it isn't been used right now, it won't draw traffic. However, I'm betting that within six months to a year, the phrase will be fairly well known and then the work I put in now will be worthwhile.

If not, then I've haven't lost anything but my time.

1. WryLilt profile image89
        WryLiltposted 13 years agoin reply to this

A good size for a hub is between 500-1500 words with 1-4 pictures, links, news or RSS plus something like a poll or other capsule.

8. Mark Ewbie profile image82
    Mark Ewbieposted 13 years ago

Can I join in on the thirty hubs angle?

I've done 29 in a month or so, and was eager to get to my 30 because 30 seems to be a magic number.  It's an easy to understand target.

Before I get to 30 though my monthly stats showed me that I made a few pence.  Some hubs got no external traffic.  Some other hubs got a little search traffic, but no sales / clicks.

So I thought, rather than writing any more, now was a good time to take what I have learnt from everyone (plus a months worth of 'work') and revisit what I have done.

Otherwise I might write another 30 and get another few pence.

you have taken the right decision. Go back, do some reshaping, absorb and revise the knowledge you have gained and proceed on then. Best of luck.

2. profile image0

Mark, that is exactly my angle. For me, to get the 30 up gave me some benefits.

1) I had an emotional high because there's nothing worse than a blank slate! smile

2) I could see from the traffic which topics appealed and which did not.

3) It enabled me to begin to develop some familiarity with some of the basic tools available. This enables me to free up time to focus on the more complex tools.

4) Most pieces (the short stories and poetry, for example) will never really generate an income. And that's okay. They were more meant to draw interest to my hubs than anything else. smile I believe that hubs should be a mixture of things so that if the reader doesn't find one thing that appeals, other things will.

5) My focus has not been on monetizing and SEO yet. I'm simply exploring the effect of what I've done on SEO. For example, when I enter certain key words into the browser, what comes up, what doesn't. When I check to see how much google traffic is being brought to my site, I check to see what phrases brought them to my site (so far, it's all been strings).

6) I think one has to take a long term view. I have 2 years before I want to generate a reasonable income. So, I've broken that into sections. I have six months to figure out the SEO and product issue. It's best to work slowly and thoroughly.

7) The most important thing for me with the 30 pieces is the answer to the many questions I have. I can use that information to build a good solid series of hubs. smile

So, yes, we are in agreement. smile

9. profile image0
    Website Examinerposted 13 years ago

Personally, what I like about the 30 days challenge is that people come back and report on their progress, their travails and successes, from time to time. This gives an openness towards the community, which is given the opportunity to interact with the hubber in a meaningful way.

Sophia Angelique, thanks for your explanation. Everyone sets their own goals, and you have achieved yours. As such, the 30 days challenge has been a success for you.

10. IzzyM profile image86
    IzzyMposted 13 years ago

Welcome to Hubpages, Sophia, and congratulations on your success smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)