Is SEO directories still works these days?

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (17 posts)
  1. dannycarrey profile image67
    dannycarreyposted 11 years ago

After constant change of the algo - is there a point to search and add url to the SEO directories?

2. Dame Scribe profile image57
    Dame Scribeposted 11 years ago

There is definitely mixed feelings across the netscape tongue some view directories as nothing more than spam farms for link juice whereas others say, it depends on exactly 'where' you leave a link but they don't specify what that means or provide samples lol I can only suggest, approach with caution?

3. Greekgeek profile image78
    Greekgeekposted 11 years ago

If it's a directory that accepts any links at all, probably not.

If it's a directory with an editorial board, some way of sifting out good from bad, and  -- most importantly -- if it's a directory that real web users use to find good content, then yes, it may still have some value.

Google and other search engines are trying to weed out "links posted for the sake of ranking better" and only count "links that someone recommended because they honestly think the destination is not only good, but relevant."

Short version: directories which are "post your backlinks here!" are a waste of time. If you're posting a link only for search engines to see and not for real readers to follow, don't bother.

4. profile image56
    Robin Thomas Eposted 11 years ago

SEO Directories does work well and good as long as you follow some guidelines.

1) Its better for the directory to be in your niche, ie its a directory pertaining to just your topic, and not everything. That way the links already in the directory shall be relevant links, and you shall gain the advantage of that, once you get in to the directory.

2) They should not be some auto-approve directory, but rather take maybe even a month to approve a link. That way not everyone shall be able to get in, but rather the ones that already got in shall be having some quality and authority.

3) It shall be even better if they are a paid directory, since that's one type of directories that are excluded by the spammers, and no links in the directory shall be spam links.

dannycarreyposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Wow thank you guys for those tips! I would like also to know what's your best and favorite way to get backlinks? I'm trying to find an easy way as I hate to get backlinks wink, but i know that the best backlinks don't come easy smile

1. profile image56
        Robin Thomas Eposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Quite true. The best links are probably the hardest to get, and sometimes you shall indeed have to spend a bit to acquire such links.

Google loves contextual links as the best, and if you can get enough quality in them, you shall indeed get the best.

5. easyarticles profile image59
    easyarticlesposted 11 years ago

I think yes if you submit in quality directories.

6. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 11 years ago

The short answer in my opinion is: no.  The great majority of directories can actually be damaging.  So you need a high level of expertise to pick one that will help. And that could change with the next Google tweak.

7. Rachel Roodhardt profile image87
    Rachel Roodhardtposted 11 years ago

Hello - There's some mixed opinions here and most of it is true.

It's still ok to use directories, but relevant directories are better than irrelevant ones, and human reviewed ones are the only ones you should ever consider.

Having said that 1,000 directory submissions are worth the same as a good quality backlink from an authority site with actual page rank.  So if you're going to invest time in getting links, I'd recommend the guest blogging route at the moment  8-)

Check out my hubs for other SEO tips. 

Rach

8. Daniel Roo profile image76
    Daniel Rooposted 11 years ago

You need to find niche directories, like the ones that are bolted onto genuine websites. Large general standalone directories all have the same structure, characteristics and user engagement so are easily detected by search engine filters.

Google nuked the general directories several years ago, best not to focus too much attention on getting links from these.

As for other options, the best approach is to try and build relationships with other site owners in your niche and maybe do some guest blogging, do infographics with built in backlinks, give stuff away for free for a link, do competitions that attract links, create viral content.

If your content is compelling then this shouldn't be difficult, if your content is crap then scraping the bottom of the seo barrel by going to cheesy link directories is probably your only option.

9. melbel profile image94
    melbelposted 11 years ago

In all honesty, I think directories are probably one of the worst ways to get backlinks.

On a side note, I checked out your hubs, you have some pretty good ones. If I may offer a piece of advice, don't bold your keywords. If anything, it'll hurt your SEO more than help and it's really the oldest trick in the book. Really awesome hubs, though. smile Keep up the good work. smile

Melbel, few hours back I was reading your hub about getting backlinks smile)) and even I post a comment with the question if the article sites in the post panda era still works:))

10. melbel profile image94
    melbelposted 11 years ago

Th best thing to do is to let the links come in naturally. Just work on creating the best content you can.

Yes I agree but you don't search for any keywords before writing an article? It's really hard these days to find a profitable keyword without any competition, so to be visible in any way you should get at the beginning some backlinks and after that if the content is great you should receive natural links.

11. profile image54
    mcxniftycallsposted 11 years ago

Now days google is changing its algorithm frequently and back link strategy is loosing popularity, google needs only quality back links  which is hard to gain.
    The key to traffic is quality and unique content, which can only stand against any algo and On Page SEO. for that you need keyword research.
    Though many of profitable niche have tremendous competition but you can still find many LOW COMPETE ION long tail keywords in any niche.
    I am writing hubs on most competitive niche, that is FOREX.. but out of 07 articles, 03 are already on search and I received 16 visits from Google, Bing and Yahoo search in just a week.
    So, if you do keyword research and can generate quality and unique content then you can easily appear on Search engines. Submitting in Online Directories can help in gaining referral traffic but for SEO it is loosing popularity.

So basiclly what you saying that SEO is dead now? Even writing good articles on squidoo for example with a backlink to your hub will not affect your SERP?

1. Rachel Roodhardt profile image87
        Rachel Roodhardtposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Hmm.. SEO will never really be dead, but it would be a mistake to hold on to old SEO tactics expecting them to work forever.

Keeping up with Google's algorithmic changes is the only real way to stay on top of google, and even then you get google-thwacked from time to time.

I wrote an article on this recently...http://rachelroodhardt.hubpages.com/hub/Panda-20-and-EMD-Google-Algorithm-Recovery-Plan

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)