Does inserting a tracker into a URL stop it being a backlink

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (20 posts)
  1. Spacey Gracey profile image38
    Spacey Graceyposted 13 years ago

I found an article I wrote on Triond conveninetly ranking quite well for a term I have just written on HP.

I want to link from Triond to HP - but I would also link to insert my tracker.

If I type the URL onto Triond with the hyperlink does it still register as a backlink or does Google look at it as something different because the URL is not exactly the same?

Almost 9 months in and still soooooooo much to learn.

Any help would be much appreciated thanks.
    SG

1. waynet profile image68
      waynetposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Does Triond let you add links to other articles?

I haven't logged into that place for months, another casualty of online business busyiness!

I know that the tracker being a 301 re-direct is less powerful than a link without a tracker, but then this could be debatable!

2. WryLilt profile image88
      WryLiltposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I had the same question not long ago!

And the simple answer is that the tracker has no influence on the quality of the backlink.

I got that answer from a respected hubber who said Paul Deeds originally posted the information. So I wouldn't worry about throwing in trackers on all your backlinks. smile

Edit: Just sent you an email about it.

2. Spacey Gracey profile image38

Thanks Wry

Wayne - thanks for trying but that last bit your wrote seems to be in some kind of foreign language - speak slooooowllllly I am very simple big_smile

And yes Triond does allow backlinks. I only paid it a visit as they sent me an email saying they would like to be able to pay me the grand total of $2.16 and could I enter my Paypal details.

You can also link it to your AdSense.

I'm going to add a link to an article I already had on there and see what happens (most likely absolutely nothing but you never know).

I also had a rummage through the stats that tell you what keywords people use to find your content and it threw up some interesting ideas for hubs - just what I need - even more hub ideas.

Nice to see you two today. First day ever I have sat down and missed the early morning office chat that you get in a job.

1. waynet profile image68
      waynetposted 13 years agoin reply to this

A 301 re-direct is a url that re-directs through a special url that ends up through the intended url ie: without a tracker!

Nice to see you too!

And I'll be checking out Triond again....not wrote anything on there for months and months earnt 53 cents the other month....!

3. Spacey Gracey profile image38

Thanks Wayne - I'm still newbie smile

53 cents - wow why are you still working, you can just sit back and let the big bucks roll in!!

4. lrohner profile image67
    lrohnerposted 13 years ago

Why do you need a tracker on a link pointing to your own hub?

5. Spacey Gracey profile image38

? Are we not meant to do that then? I thought I've read a few times that you can put a tracker into your own hub links.

1. lrohner profile image67
      lrohnerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I thought we weren't supposed to, but then I could be very wrong.

You can easily track the traffic brought from that link in Analytics, so the only real benefit is the additional 10% referral impressions. I just reread the section on trackers in the Learning Center, and I'm still not sure whether we can do that or not. I always just assumed we couldn't.

Edited to add: Here's the text from the Learning Center, so maybe I am wrong: "Once the new tracking token has been created, you need only insert it into any HubPages URL you’re sharing to start using it."

1. Anesidora profile image61
        Anesidoraposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Huh. That's interesting. I never would have thought you could do that.

6. Spacey Gracey profile image38

I would interpret that as we can use the trackers in our own - but as with most t&cs every time I read it I interpret it a different way.

Anyway after all that I decided not to put the tracker in following the logic that an organic backlink wouldnt have a tracker and I want it to seem as organic as possible.

It was interesting to find out how it all works though.

1. saleheensblog profile image59
      saleheensblogposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I was just thinking it. Using a tracker may decrease the value of the link as the link may not look organic anymore.

2. Susana S profile image90
      Susana Sposted 13 years agoin reply to this

My approach has been if the external article is about writing online or earning money online I will include the tracker to try and get sign ups, otherwise I don't use it externally.

1. Spacey Gracey profile image38
        Spacey Graceyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

So if they came to your article with that tracker, then signed up you would get them as a referal even if they just clicked on the 'sign up' button at the top and not a 'sign up' link that you had made with your referal tracker?

1. Susana S profile image90
          Susana Sposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yep, as long as they have cookies enabled and they sign up within 30 days you get the referral. Here's the info: http://hubpages.com/tour/affiliate

One thing I'm not sure of is if they click on someone else's tracker in between clicking yours and signing up whether the referral stays with you or the most recent tracker (if that makes sense).

7. profile image0
    Nelle Hoxieposted 13 years ago

I believe by using the tracker you're giving yourself and extra 10% of impressions for a specified time to your own hub. I always thought this was to be used if I posted a link to another hubber's hub - a reward for being nice.

To me this is cheating HP out of 10% of their impressions for a few hours. I haven't read the TOS regarding this in a while so maybe it's changed. I don't use it to my own hubs, because in my opinion the folks at HP deserve their full cut of impressions.

8. Spacey Gracey profile image38

My goodness I just read back my original post - that typing was pre-coffee.

9. Spacey Gracey profile image38

Evey day's an education. Time for some more reading for me I think. I probably read all this stuff before and my poor brain has screened it out.

10. Tarin profile image61
    Tarinposted 13 years ago

That's for putting my mind at ease about tracker links not counting.  I haven't gotten a single bonus for traffic to hubs yet.  Maybe so many people use hubpages that they already have the cookie installed for someone else and my cookie doesn't count!

11. WryLilt profile image88
    WryLiltposted 13 years ago

I was inspired by Ryankett to place a tracker on EVERY link I use between my hubs. I wasn't aware it would give you an extra 10% on your own, I just thought it would give you between 9-12% on every other hub they visited on the site while the tracker is active.

I've also had six signups on that tracker and several hubs so I certainly can't complain!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)