How do you come up with ideas for original hubs?

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (34 posts)
  1. princess g profile image60
    princess gposted 13 years ago

I mean like the really good hubs that are HOT or BEST, in the top teir. I can't think of original topics to write about if my life depended on it, no matter how hard i try. How do you do it, you smart people?

1. profile image0
      Sophia Angeliqueposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Well, they come from your head. One thinks of them. If one doesn't think of them, I'm afraid there is no other way.

I will, however, say this. The greater one's degree of general knowledge and information abou the world, the easier it is to find these ideas...

So, start reading. Lots! smile

Good luck.

princess gposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yes, sophia, I get that. I'm not a complete moron. However, I was wondering about the thought processes that went into it. I'm sure ideas don't suddenly pop into a persons mind out of nowhere.

1. profile image0

Actually, they do. That's why I never understand the question.

And what I said was true.

http://www.associatedcontent.com/articl … html?cat=4

I probably think of a new idea every five minutes. I cannot keep up.

1. vicki simms profile image67
            vicki simmsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Im the same, I just get ideas pop into my head but because im quite new to this, I cant write as quick as my ideas come so I have to write my ideas down and when i'm ready I have a nice big list to pick from smile

2. relache profile image72
          relacheposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Actually, I've had a good number of my best Hub really start that way.  Just living my life and doing things I really love doing has been my best source of ideas for Hubs.

Ok, I guess I was wrong.

smile

It just doesn't happen for me. You guys are lucky:) That's awesome.

2. saleheensblog profile image60
      saleheensblogposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Try to answer your question yourself. It will be a unique hub. smile

smile

3. ThomasE profile image68
      ThomasEposted 13 years agoin reply to this

If you write regularly, as in according to a schedule, sooner or later this will not be a problem.

Someone once said it takes 1 million words to write well.

I say that once you start to make the effort, and your mind gets used to the idea you are writing something original every day, your mind will help you.

p.s. reading is good too, because reading is what makes your original writing GOOD writing.

1. Pearldiver profile image67
        Pearldiverposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Sorry but I totally disagree with you on! hmm

Reading Does NOT create Uniqueness... From my experience here, while there are a huge amount of good writers and articles here; Uniqueness does not come from borrowing the ideas of those who write well..... copying does!  Unique is about Being Different! - Anyway you like.. But You Must Let Go Average, to do that and if you expect to achieve unique from reading... then unless you know 'Who' to read for Unique.. then you will read a whole lot of average that will probably blunt your wish to be 'different!' - Hope you understand what I'm saying hmm

Further - Whoever makes a claim that it takes a million words to write well, as you put it... really is talking rubbish and certainly knows little about uniqueness! sad

It takes a sense of responsibility to write well - If you choose to call yourself a writer.. then take the responsibility of being a writer! If you choose to be Average.. be the same as everyone else who has not taken that responsibility.

Or step up and take the responsibility and be a writer.. they (writers) are unique and every good writer has taken the responsibility to be unique. You start out with the right positive, creative attitude and then apply the following reasoning.

The reason works are featured primarily is that is they are Well Written and Constructed. Someone has made the effort to provide quality when quality is called for. Ask yourself: what attracts you personally to an article? That is what others also seek.. so as a writer.. provide it.. Creatively, In your own style! But don't compromise quality by poor grammar, spelling, or lack of depth.. That is what Average Writers do!

You are most welcome to critique my works as harshly as you can... see if you can fault my writing. 95% of the articles that I've written here have been featured at some stage. I'm not boasting or self promoting... I am a writer and one that via my works has taken the responsibility to produce well.. end of story! 

One other thing... take the time to research well... it shows within your first paragraph whether you know what you're taking about or not! Good Attitude = Good Articles! Good Attitude + Good Research + Interesting Creative Differences = Exceptional Articles smile
        Now Add.... Style + Personality = Exceptionally Unique Articles! hmm

Thank you Pearldiver. You've given me a lot to think about.

1. profile image0

Peraldiver, sorry, disagree with you. smile No hard feelings, though.

I think you've misconstrued what is being said here. Reading improves your writing because, if you start early enough, it develops your rhythm, just the way native speakers of a langague develop an ear for the rhythm of the language. Reading also gives one a lot of information that lates twists itself to form new ideas.

Next, I have never worked hard at writing. I have never needed to. I have been published since I was 9 years old and won my first nation wide writing competitinon at 18. The marketing director of the nation wide newspaper group said it was the finest piece of writing he had seen in 20 years. I've had many accolades through the years for my writing. it was noted very early on in school that I had a talent for it and many publishers have asked me why I've never written a book.

Again, I've never worked at writing. Never had to.

Like you, I'm a professional writer. And like you, I'm writing under a pen name. smile

I have an original idea every few minutes. In London, at film school, the professor was stunned that I was able to script a movie and characterize it in 5 minutes. He told me I would be welcome at any movie set in the world.

At summer school in the UK, in a fantasy workship, I was as embarrassed as all hell when my idea was the only one that wasn't applauded. Why wasn't it applauded? Because nobody had ever thought of anything like that before. In any event, it was my story that was selected for the class to work on.

So, it goes.

I'm sure that you have worked hard at your writing. I haven't. People are different.

What is true is that it's unlikely one will have a good writing style if one hasn't been reading throughout one's childhood. And the second thing that is unlikely is that one will have many ideas if one hasn't a lot of information in one's head.

One last closing point. Years ago, I submitted a book to a publisher who published Nobel prize winning and Booker prize wining stories. She told me that she had no doubt of my talent but suggested that writing books and leaving them in my bottom drawer was not a good idea. She then asked me if I read primarily fiction or non-fiction. I said non-fiction.

She said that all her fiction writing authors read predominantly non-fiction. One doesn't steal ideas from the non-fiction. It gives one the background to peg the story on..

Think about it. Asimov, Crichton, Robin Cook, Heinlein, Clark, etc. were all scientists or doctors. They didn't go to writing school. They had an imagination and a setting...
            Anyway, that's my piece. smile

2. ThomasE profile image68
          ThomasEposted 13 years agoin reply to this

In order to write a million words works a day, all you would need to do is write less than an hour a day for four years. If you can find me any writer who has published a book without doing an hour’s writing a day, well, I would be amazed.
          Most professional writers write more than that for decades.
          Many writers who haven’t published a book work far more than that.
          I accept you feel that original work comes without copying; I hope you will accept that I feel that original writing will come with writing. I simply do not believe it is possible for humans to produce unoriginal work, even if they try to copy.
          It’s fair to say I will never criticise your writing in some mean spirited attempt to prove you wrong. I only ever criticise if asked, and even then only when I feel it will help the individual. Neither would I accept criticism if it was directed at me is such a mean spirited way.
          At the end of the day, we disagree, which I think proves my point that no two humans are the same. My view is originality comes like breathing.
          I believe that originality is not hard... producing good writing is hard.

4. profile image0
      cookingdivaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Princess g,

I do not know if my topics are creative but here a few ways that worked for me;

1. Things I am passionate about such as cooking
      2. I like watching movies so I write about it
      3. What is going on headlines
      4. What is interesting in my life that might be useful to others

and so on.

2. CASE1WORKER profile image60
    CASE1WORKERposted 13 years ago

follow what saleheensblog recommends I think that would be really original as you would be able to chart the measures you have taken to try and come up with something original, and in believing that you have failed you come up with the perfect answer

Thank you. Is saleheensblog a hubber on here? do you have a link by any chance?

1. WryLilt profile image87
        WryLiltposted 13 years agoin reply to this
      2. saleheensblog profile image60
        saleheensblogposted 13 years agoin reply to this

@Sophia Angelique, vast knowledge, lots of reading, lots of life experience, being highly educated are not essential. These are of course helpful but not essential. For a good writer and for coming up with new ideas two things are essential only and those are observation and imagination power.

3. 2uesday profile image66
    2uesdayposted 13 years ago

If you are stuck for a topic the weekly HubMob provides subjects that might interest you.

I would not write a HubMob hub every week but sometimes the suggested topic sparks one or two hubs in to life. A  plus on writing for that(HubMob) is the RSS feeds on them.

Thank you 2uesday. I'm not stuck for a topic, just a really good, original topic:) My stuff bores me.

4. Uninvited Writer profile image79
    Uninvited Writerposted 13 years ago

Check out what is hot in the news and write something about those topics. Write about the holidays that are coming up, now would be a good time to start writing about Valentine's Day or Easter. Write about your personal experiences on those holiday.

And, like 2uesday said, the HubMob is a great thing to take part in if you are out of ideas.

I appreciate your commetns Uninvited writer:)

1. Barbara Kay profile image74
        Barbara Kayposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I write a hub sometimes about a question I had myself. After doing all of the searching for the answer I want, I have the researched finished and figure I might as well do a hub.

I do that too. No reason to waste the research, right?

1. profile image0

@ Princess G.

I'm not trying to be insulting.

I don't understand how anyone can examine a thought process. A thought process goes on inside the brain. Scientists put electronic gismos on one's had and try to ascertain which section of the brain is working when one thinks of certain things, but I don't see how they can improve that facility to give one ideas.

Essentially, knowing a lot, reading a lot, being highly educated, having a lot of life exprience, all of those things gel together in the unconscious, and ideas pop up from that space.

If one hasn't got sufficient information, then the ideas don't arrive, or not as frequently.

I'm posting this again, because I don't think you saw it.
            http://www.associatedcontent.com/articl … html?cat=4

I'm also curious why you think ideas don't just pop into one's head. Of couse, they do. All the time.

I've written extensively about the process on a good few sites.  Ideas come from the unconsious mind. They come from the place where all the information one has gathered through one's life has been stored. If there isn't a lot of information there, then not too many ideas will arrive. If there is a lot of information there, then ideas will jump up all the time.

I examine my own thought processes all the time. I think about how I think and process ideas and information, to improve myself.

5. MoneyCreator24 profile image57
    MoneyCreator24posted 13 years ago

Remember things that you learned in your life, and of which you already told them other people. Simply write on these subjects.

6. Mikeydoes profile image43
    Mikeydoesposted 13 years ago

I just do things I like. Its easy because I know about whatever it is already. Also if you like it, it is pretty obvious other people do, so that means they'll search for it!

7. princess g profile image60
    princess gposted 13 years ago

I just wanted to thank everyone for taking the time to answer my question. I think possibly great writing is simply a talent that I don't have a feel for. And I see that now.

I'm a sculptor, and I just "do it" without really knowing how or why. It just happens. I guess the same thing can happen with writing, I just didn't realize how much more of an art it is, and not something that can be learned by everyone.

8. Paul Edmondson profile imageSTAFF
    Paul Edmondsonposted 13 years ago

My best hubs come from things I'm doing.  Like shopping for gifts for my kids, barbecuing something, or I've recently had a problem and learn the solution.  I take those things and turn them into Hubs.

9. rebekahELLE profile image85
    rebekahELLEposted 13 years ago

I think that is very true.

I never run out of ideas. I write the good ones in a notebook.  Mostly I write about topics that I know well and interest me and believe will interest others.
    I also read a lot, books, NYT, which is great for trending topics of interest worldwide. I try to keep my topics evergreen, something that will always be worthy of a search.

I do agree that reading different kinds of material helps one become a better writer. In a Stephen King interview, he attributed his prolific reading to a huge part of his success as a writer. I think reading daily to young children also helps them to develop their imagination and ability to craft great stories throughout their childhood. They often become writers as a profession.

10. adrienne2 profile image67
    adrienne2posted 13 years ago

My best hubs have been the ones that really offer good information that is helpful to the HP community. For example, in my quest to write my ebook on ad revenue sharing site I found juicy nuggetts that were excellent.  So I deceided to share with HP, and write a hub giving a list of some of the resouces I found.

11. wytegarillaz profile image59
    wytegarillazposted 13 years ago

Ideas just come in to my head during the day or I see something somewhere that makes me think of a hub!
    When people ask what to write about I say write about your passion , your interests !
    http://s3.hubimg.com/u/4258034_f248.jpg

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)