What do you think about this quote?

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (19 posts)
  1. Mikeydoes profile image44
    Mikeydoesposted 13 years ago

"The best thing to do is not form your own opinion and just agree with everyone else's."

I've found in my life that opinions cause problems. They usually end up having people agree with you(which is great), but they also have people disagree with you. A disagreement can make someone think negatively about you.

Whether you believe it or not, I still feel it is better to agree with other people's opinions. It has many benefits, such as no fighting and it really isn't a burden. Your opinion doesn't really matter to most people, however what does matter is that you agree with them! People love that.

An example: I am not in to politics, but am very educated about it. I find that people eat, sleep, and breathe it. Democrats and Republicans make each other sick in a lot of cases.

Two of my family members always fight(opposite parties) and bring politics up to me. When I am alone with them, they spew out everything they heard on their channel. Whether it be from Bill O'Reilly or Keith Olberman, I listen, nod my head and say yep, I agree. The best part is, if I told them my real opinion there would be a problem/fight. There are hundreds of these situations that I go through monthly, and I really love doing it.

What do you think?

1. michael's son profile image61
      michael's sonposted 13 years agoin reply to this

one should always hold and voice their own opinions because without your own opinions you cannot stand up for what you believe in. take this quote for example
      "what is life without honor in life it seems living is all forsaken and if the world controls your mind you'll find honor is gone from us and if its gone then my song i sing to you its time to choose what you gonna do? I have honor."
      you see if nobody formed their own opinions, they couldn't stand up for what they thought was right. If nobody stood up for what they thought was right this world would be a much more terrible place then it already is but we still need more people to stand up for their beliefs if this world is ever going to get better.

2. wilderness profile image94
    wildernessposted 13 years ago

One should always form their own opinions - it is part of using that big gray muscle on top of your shoulders.

That does not mean, however, that you are obligated to spew that opinion at every opportunity.  In most cases, I find it is best just to keep quiet.

1. prettydarkhorse profile image61
      prettydarkhorseposted 13 years agoin reply to this

that and just smile at them when they are arguing LOL,

2. Mikeydoes profile image44
      Mikeydoesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Absolutely. I have many opinions, but like you said, I feel it is best to not mention them(in many cases). Even if I am right.

3. profile image0
      luabuposted 13 years agoin reply to this

The best thing to do is not form your own opinion and just agree with everyone else's

maybe is a lovely word

you are the maybe man and refuse to formalise your opinion in a structure
      to agree with others regardless is dangerous/cowardly and disrespectful depending on the context

how many people didn't agree with Hitler but said nothing
      this is an extreme example but wilderness blanket agreement with nonsense is a luxury not afforded to any of us

keep your mind open and your mouth open as well
      luabu

If you open your mouth in that situation you can easily be killed. I'd probably keep that opinion to myself, especially if it will get me killed. I do agree with what you are saying, but it really depends on the situation. If it benefits you, then sometimes it just is better to say nothing.

Its philosophical, but if you were on a boat sailing and there was 1 leader and everyone followed that leader. And you know that anyone can be killed if they disagree, whether you are right or wrong, the best answer is to keep your mouth shut. Much like if you went against Hitler, you'd be dead.

Opinions and actions are two completely different things. The people who took in the jews did what was right, but kept their opinions to themselves, otherwise they'd be killed.

3. Pearldiver profile image68
    Pearldiverposted 13 years ago

I'd Love To Tell You The RIGHT ANSWER... Honestly... But No Doubt You'd Stack a Hissy Fit Again and Try to Get Me Banned In Troll-Like Manner, just like Last Time!!

roll

4. sofs profile image77
    sofsposted 13 years ago

You can have your own opinion and keep it. You don't have to fight, I have strong opinions on some subjects but never get into arguments, I just ignore or agree to disagree without bitterness or ill feeling.  smile smile smile

5. profile image0
    luabuposted 13 years ago

i thought about this thing you said

Its philosophical, but if you were on a boat sailing and there was 1 leader and everyone followed that leader. And you know that anyone can be killed if they disagree, whether you are right or wrong, the best answer is to keep your mouth shut. Much like if you went against Hitler, you'd be dead

this is called living in fear
    the captain will become more tyrannical if he senses your fear
    you feel your vunerability and become compliant
    next thing is you are a spectator watching some poor unfortunate receive 20 lashes
    you chose a boat i think because there is no place to run and the ship needs a co ordinated crew to function/
    mutiny has always been a terror ridden pastime
    don't tolerate injustice of any size /always speak out regardless/ it's the only hope we have
    luabu

If you are willing to die on that boat(or thrown off), go ahead, I'll be quiet and wait until the boat hits shore and leave the situation, keeping my opinion to myself.

What does your opinion matter when you are dead?

6. timorous profile image81
    timorousposted 13 years ago

The problem isn't the opinion so much, but the closed-mindedness of the person who doesn't agree with the opinion.  If you suspect the listener is not going to like what you say..say nothing.

Many people need to learn not to put too much importance on things that aren't directly affecting their lives.  Such passion is better placed on things that really matter.

Obviously, lots of people like to argue or talk a lot..but still have nothing to say...

Hey..chill, man big_smile

1. profile image0
      luabuposted 13 years agoin reply to this

hi timorous
      you are probably right you know
      thanks for the advice
      this thread can be light or heavy /lets leave it light if that is what it was intended to be
      sorry for wreckin your buzz
      luabu

2. michael's son profile image61

I agree completely a mind is like a parachute, it only works when its open

7. skyfire profile image80
    skyfireposted 13 years ago

It depends on situation. In some situations you're forced to make your opinion and in that condition you choose stance if it's result is in your favor(or positive to you in some way) even though it's not your real opinion. Sometimes your actions clear your opinion to others and you can't wear mask to disguise disagreement. If you're a writer then your opinion in articles, forums will clear your stance and people will look negatively on you depending on what you've written.

Even silence can be misunderstood by people and they form opinion with just that. At the end of the day what matters is, what you expect from such resistance.

In my life people neglected me, attacked me, look down on me and even praised me for something but slowly i realized that it's not going to root to my development if i care or not. It's resistance of words that rise before action. I decided to concentrate on action, no point in thinking about words.  Jeez, i'm writing too much in forums. neutral

8. Pandoras Box profile image60
    Pandoras Boxposted 13 years ago

I agree. You have to choose your battles wisely. Walk away to fight another day, when it's actually worth it.

Plus it's just that if our own opinions are bringing us to a place where we're constantly fighting with our loved ones, then we may need to get our heads out of our asses and form some new opinions about some things more relevant to our daily lives.

Like manners, decency, respect, honor, consideration, love and humility.

Being 'right' all the time really isn't all that important, especially if it is causing you to do wrong.

Liked what you said here!

9. skyfire profile image80
    skyfireposted 13 years ago

You misunderstood completely. 400 talibanis are going to bomb some XYZ city in afghan tomorrow and by hearing this what positive actions can you take for your or others life ? There is restriction to what you can do in any situation. If you choose to stay silent and don't form opinion against US vs talibanis fest then it's perfectly fine because neither you're in control of situation nor any higher authority person is going to listen to your views. Shouting on each other in forums in not going to change anything. IDLE mode doesn't mean living in fear, it means just control things which YOU can.

1. michael's son profile image61

ok well Pandora and skyfire have very good points here you cant always voice your opinions and get positive results but it is still good to have those opinions but here's the thing with opinions a lot of people don't know how to separate fact from opinion which is where you get all the ridiculous arguments that turn into huge escalated bouts of stupidity. it is good to have an opinion but never forget that your opinion is just that- an opinion

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)