Another reason to let us have two or three sub-accounts

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (26 posts)
  1. Shadesbreath profile image77
    Shadesbreathposted 13 years ago

I know I keep banging this darn "can I just have another name under my main account" thing, but I would just like to point out that I have discovered another reason why we should be able to make 2 or 3 names to write under beyond just convenience and all that.

So I finally broke down and made an account for writing sales oriented hubs because there are things I wouldn't mind writing about (because I care about them) that can make more money through searches than do my stories about asthmatic vampires and me in a kilt drinking scotch and burning up Hobbit towns. (Don't wan't to ruin my "humor brand" with a bunch of boring stuff).

The problem is that HP and other hubbers don't know that the new account is just another account of an existing hubber, so they are treating it like a separate person. One of them has even been nominated for a hubnugget. Honestly, this makes me feel like I am stealing opportunity from genuine new hubbers, pilfering accolades that might really help them get a good emotional start writing for HP. (Losing that hurts HP too.)

To me, that's a pretty good reason to consider letting us have at least 2 and maybe a few names on an account.  It really is about branding.  You HP guys are business people; you get that.

1. Mark Ewbie profile image81
      Mark Ewbieposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I was wondering about this as well.  Having shamelessly promoted this ID what would I do with my other ID?  It's not allowed to post in the forums (I think), so would it just write sales hubs all day?  And how would it ever get popular / noticed?

I'd feel kind of sad for my sales ID although I suppose I could leave comments saying "what a fantastic hub about rectal thermometers" to cheer him up.  But I suspect eventually the pressure and loneliness would lead to an inevitable end.

Shadesbreathposted 13 years agoin reply to this

LOL @ bi-polar you, hubbing and commenting to yourself. And such a tragic end.

1. evvy_09 profile image60
          evvy_09posted 13 years agoin reply to this

So commenting on your own hub to make it look more important is bad?  Hold on gotta delete a few comments made by 90_yvve

1. saleheensblog profile image60
            saleheensblogposted 13 years agoin reply to this

another account for self promotion is a TOS violation too. So, its bad.

Joking, too lazy to have another account big_smile   Guess I'm too tired to be funny

1. saleheensblog profile image60
                saleheensblogposted 13 years agoin reply to this

lol

2. profile image0
              Toby Hansenposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Well, yes it is. But everyone knows that there is always sock puppetry going on.

2. Marisa Wright profile image86
        Marisa Wrightposted 13 years agoin reply to this

But Mark, isn't that the point?  The purpose of your sales ID is to make money.  You don't make money by promoting yourself within the Hubber community - so that sales ID needs to get busy getting links outside HubPages, not within it.

Becoming part of the HubPages community is great - forum chat, feedback and comments keep you motivated, and you can learn a lot from other Hubbers.  But it doesn't make any significant contribution to your earnings.  It's just for fun.

1. Mark Ewbie profile image81
          Mark Ewbieposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yes Marisa, it is the point.  A point I have completely missed while amusing myself writing indulgent nonsensical pieces of half truths and wondering why a wider world is not beating down my door, adsense wise.

Still, the fan mail must be worth something - isn't it?

1. Marisa Wright profile image86
            Marisa Wrightposted 13 years agoin reply to this

For the ego, yes.  Otherwise - nope!

2. Lisa HW profile image60
      Lisa HWposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I had a similar thing with the one other account I have (and one Hub on it so far).  The Hub got a couple of comments from people I kind of know, and I felt like a fraud.  I couldn't answer them because I felt like saying, "Hey - it's me.  Lisa!"   I imagine the only reason the few people who followed me did it because I looked like a new person.  Originally, I started (and still have) the account for the purpose of having a different type of writing on it.  I'm not comfortable with it, though; and I've decided not to have any comment boxes on it (in order to eliminate that particular "inner conflict" for me).

So, if/when I decide to do more with it I suppose I'll make no secret of the fact that I also write under this name.  That kind of defeats my purpose, though.  (I know people do fake names and fake identities - the whole thing - all the time; and I'm OK with a different name, as long as I don't have to interact with someone who kind of knows me.  Then it just gets to be something I'm not comfortable with.

I'm not worried about getting the account to have a decent score or traffic, because what I plan to write on it are likely to be more the "the standard, web-article, fare" for search engines. Still, it will have to be a "silent" member of HubPages who doesn't participate in anything.

1. travelespresso profile image68
        travelespressoposted 13 years agoin reply to this

These are the same issues that have stopped me having a separate account Lisa. 

I'd like a second (or third) one for branding purposes.  It makes sound business sense but so far am having a difficult time reconciling my thoughts on the matter.

If I did have a new account and I was then welcomed as a newcomer and nominated for a HubNugget it just wouldn't feel right knowing I had so much more (but still not enough smile ) knowledge and experience here than a newbie.  I'd feel a fraud.

So for me, at present I can't make a decision on it.

2. profile image0
        Baileybearposted 13 years agoin reply to this

yeah, I had that happen too, but I'm not very active on the other account.  It has a few hubs, but a few people found me there too.  It was possible for them to connect the dots, but I just wanted a more anonymous account that family didn't know about - I'm sure they're already having multiple heart attacks over my deconversion from christianity hubs on this account - I weighed up where to put them.

2. lrohner profile image70
    lrohnerposted 13 years ago

So why don't you just create a hub under your main account where the asthmatic vampires wear kilts and drink scotch while they peddle your products? smile

Damn!  Why didn't I think of that?

1. simeonvisser profile image70
        simeonvisserposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Well, I'm wondering this as well? Why are you separating these hubs? Because of different audiences? We now already know that you write sales hubs so you might as well have them on your main account. If HubPages becomes hard to handle when you have too many hubs then the software needs to be changed.

3. Mark Ewbie profile image81
    Mark Ewbieposted 13 years ago

I think I understand why Shadesbreath wants to separate accounts. 

Because his main account is a humourist, artistic, creative style - that is the brand.  You visit a Shadesbreath hub you will get a certain thing, and within that account it will be the same kind of good stuff.

This works for the target audience who will be disappointed if they stumble on a straightforward sales hub.

The sales angle is completely different.  I am not sure you can successfully combine humour and sales.  It would seem that selling might be best achieved by a different profile and profile picture - selling the image of a straightforward, honest, hard working, clean living lifestyle.

I'm thinking Martha Stewart, but without the convictions.

Sorry to Shadesbreath for taking liberties and pretending to know his angle, but it's certainly where I feel I am with regards to proper grown up selling.

I feel the same way. I've written (or attempted) a couple sales hubs and afterwards felt like I was cheating on evvy's video game hubs.  I hope to become an gamer expert of sorts who people google to find out about a game they want, but I would like to write about other things too.  But maybe only the main account can participate in forums or comment on other hubs.

4. SunSeven profile image61
    SunSevenposted 13 years ago

Getting into the newsletter or the hubbnugget thing can be a big boost to traffic and earnings. Perhaps we should re-invent - re-incarnate in new avatars and get a new life at HubPages! smile

Best Regards

5. GmaGoldie profile image80
    GmaGoldieposted 13 years ago

As a marketing director, I must shout - Hurray!  Yes, branding is key.  The avatar and the profile must match.  When readers follow, they are following a philosophy, a subject matter.  The brand is key.

Google has succeed to modify its logo to promote many different holidays, countries and events.  It takes a very strong brand to vary from the logo to keep the brand image intake.

Hub Pages would be stronger, IF branding were allowed.

I can see guidelines where only Hubbers over a certain number of Hubs / Hub Score can actively promote and maintain different pen names.  Perhaps, this would be another way of rewarding and motivating them to continue with Hub Pages. 

Hub Pages has great leadership.  I am sure it is simply a matter of time before multiple pen names and avatars are allowed.

6. frogdropping profile image77
    frogdroppingposted 13 years ago

Shades you don't need to be incog-neato ... just declare who you are on your (new) profile.

Oh and writing 'by the way it's me' won't do lol

It's not a matter of being ashamed of it. The profile is Smart Reviews, and I'm perfectly fine with what I've written on there because it still comes from a place of integrity.

It's just branding. Marke Ewbie got it perfectly right. Because I write only humor or at least entertainment on this avatar, and because I estimate about 8% of the people who "follow" actually do so because they read, those folks are doing so because they enjoy the silly stuff and the funny drawings and sarcasm etc.  For me to write a thing about car safety kits or co-write something with my wife about bread making is not to be ashamed of, but, it is NOT what the 8% who actually like the humor expect or want to read.  It would be like subscribing to the Wall Street Journal and having them fill up pages with romance stories; that's not why you buy.

It's hard enough to establish a writing base in an Internet of noise, and if you do happen to amuse a few people with your style of humor, the last thing you want to do is bore them with a "Hey, you should have an emergency kit in your car" hub or one about making bread.

That's all.  And while I'm perfectly fine with my hubs on that account, I do feel like I have a totally unfair advantage over any new hubber when it comes to getting a hubnugget (for whatever that might get someone). I've been here for two years, been reading great articles on how to make hubs, and, well, you get the rest.

Anyway, would really like to see it happen. Would like to be able to pull my other account into my main too so I didn't have to lose it too.  But, it is what it is.

I just looked at your other account.  Your wife is really pretty but you know that already tongue  Good hubs too

2. frogdropping profile image77
        frogdroppingposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Oh heck Shades I didn't mean anything by what I said - I just meant you could always link on your new profile to your main account.

I write commercial hubs for the main (now) whereas I didn't when I arrived. I didn't even begin to realise the potential for HP when I joined. That said - I have three other accounts, all purely commercial that I don't link across to my main account. And like you it's nothing to do with feeling ashamed - I gotta earn, simple as that. And there's a lot of earning power on the site - so I use it. It (now) pays my rent, keeps the wolves from my door.

I agree with you about the Hubnuggets thing. I'd feel the same.

7. Abbasangel profile image64
    Abbasangelposted 13 years ago

I totally agree, branding is key. Because shadesbreath could definitely get a brand and probably (haven't checked) but doubt there is alot of competition on the word Shadesbreath and people can just say oh for random awesome stories you should check out Shadesbreath - How do I find him? I don't know just google it.

I have found my name has little competition and with HP great ratings it did rank fairly high last time I checked.

I don't know if I need another account at this stage or sub account. Managing one is hard enough. I can see that Shades branding might be hurt if he had sales hubs.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)