jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (8 posts)

lmmartin READ THIS

1. SimeyC profile image89
    SimeyCposted 6 years ago

I'm trying to contact lmmartin - but couldn't leave her fan mail. I posted a question with the same info!

Your gmail account has been compromised - your contacts are receiving emails stating that you are travelling and need $2500 to avoid some travel problems.

Change you gmail password immediately and reach out to your contacts. Looks like you were phished - might be worth closing that gmail account...

1. Rafini profile image87
      Rafiniposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I'm soo glad you posted this, I didn't think of it!  I sent an email back to her w/o thinking.

What does it mean to be phished?  Since I sent a response is my email threatened?  btw - I got a response back!  I deleted it.

I sent a message to lmmartin on Facebook about your post here.

1. SimeyC profile image89
          SimeyCposted 6 years ago in reply to this

What probably happened is that she got an email from 'gmail' stating that she should verify information and thus may have sent an email out to 'gmail' with her gmail password. However, the 'gmail', while it might look legitimate is actually a 'phishing' email that looks legit but is used to steal passwords, credit card numbers etc.

It could be something different as well, but this is a new scam running around the web at the moment!

2. emievil profile image80
    emievilposted 6 years ago

I think she's having an interview today, give or take a few hours (4 PM EST, I think). Are you friends with her in FB? If not, I can send her a link to this forum post.

that's a good idea - I'm not too tech savvy so I'll let someone who knows what they're doing take care of it.

3. emievil profile image80
    emievilposted 6 years ago

Okay. Sent her a message through FB and I indicated the URL for this post. smile

4. lmmartin profile image94
    lmmartinposted 6 years ago

Thank you so much everyone for your concern. Yes, my email account was hijacked though I'm not sure how. I did not respond to any emails giving out my password. Who knows? These guys are pretty sophisticated. Now, I'm in a mess, as they deleted everything. I was able to restore my contact list -- thank God. And it has cost me $50 in expert fees to get that far.

But thanks, thanks so much for your concern. Lynda

PS My interview is at 7 PM PST (10 PM EST) and you can get the link on my hub Preparing for an audio media interview.

Thanks once more.

working