jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (6 posts)

Article about long form journalism

1. Uninvited Writer profile image81
    Uninvited Writerposted 6 years ago

Maybe it's time to start writing longer hubs...

http://www.utne.com/Great-Writing/Long- … reads.aspx

2. skyfire profile image72
    skyfireposted 6 years ago

Q & A, how-to and many other niches can't be stretched more than 400 words. If anyone is reading Jacob Nilson's usability study then they'll observe short attention span(and in turn huge bounce rate) for some topics with longer content in their analytics data.

3. SiddSingh profile image61
    SiddSinghposted 6 years ago

Jakob Nielsen concludes that both short articles (400-ish words) and longer articles (1000+ words) succeed - they just attract different kinds of readers. Plus, it was an old study - 2007 - so maybe the reader habits have changed since then.

1. skyfire profile image72
      skyfireposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Desperate buyers will read 1000 words ? or 400 words ? (I'm pointing to those list-based product hubs which are written to target desperate buyers). I see that in no way buyers are changing their habits over time, in fact they're taking less time to read through review that is unnecessarily too big (ref- bounce rate). Again these are niche specific observation.

1. Uninvited Writer profile image81
        Uninvited Writerposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I wouldn't suggest that product hubs be longer. The ones I have up have maybe 600 words at the most. But for other topics it might be worth while to have more indepth articles. But I'm just talking for myself, no one else.

4. rebekahELLE profile image86
    rebekahELLEposted 6 years ago

I guess it depends what kind of hubs we're writing. I think my shortest one is a product hub, but most of  mine go over 1000, a few over 1500. With some subjects, it takes more words to communicate, and those topics generally bring in a different audience.
    That is an interesting article. Thanks for sharing.

working