Speaking of advertising..

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (18 posts)
  1. Pcunix profile image90
    Pcunixposted 13 years ago

I just had an email from a large company wanting to discuss direct advertising on my site. They mentioned that they might want an "exclusive" deal.

I'm a bit surprised by that, because I would think it would be smarter for them to simply use Google targeting - what advantage do they get from dealing direct? All I see is disadvantage (multiple publishers to deal with), unless they think I am going to be bamboozled into some very low price.

This is a legitimate company and they are impressively big. My site demographics are just who they want as customers.  Am I missing something obvious?  Why would they want to go direct?

1. profile image57
      C.J. Wrightposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It's the "do" man, you know that! Just kidding, congrats! Sounds like your doing all the right things! Normally I would be skeptical, but your one of the more "web" savy folks here. If you say the company is legit, the offer probably is too. Hopefully you get a deal thats profitable.

2. lrohner profile image68
    lrohnerposted 13 years ago

PCUnix, this is exactly the kind of advertising you want. Many larger advertisers will pay big bucks to advertise directly on a site with targeted traffic. Most advertising agencies pick a certain number of sites to deal directly with, and then fill in other advertising through ad networks.

One of the websites I used to manage sold banner ads directly to advertisers at a price of anywhere from $1k to $9k per month -- depending on whether it was only on certain pages or had run of site, and what the share of voice was on the placement. Some companies charge by impression, but smaller sites (possibly like yours) may do better with a standard monthly fee. We were always sold out of our ad placements six months out or more.

This is a good thing!

Pcunixposted 13 years agoin reply to this

No, I understand it could be good for me.

I'm trying to understand why they just would not use Google targeting.

Where is their advantage? What do they gain?

Understanding what they get out of it helps my bargaining position.

3. thisisoli profile image70
    thisisoliposted 13 years ago

I would try and make a deal, definitely ask for more though, since you will be giving them a dedicated presence on your site.

Only you can judge exactly which is the better deal for you though!

4. Pcunix profile image90

And I guess also, is there any downside for me?

Le's say I tie in and then five years later, they drop me. Have I lost any credibility withGoogle? Would I have a harder time getting good ads from them? Obviously I could tick off those who do target me already...

1. thisisoli profile image70
      thisisoliposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You would be surprised how many companies, even marketing companies, do not realize you can target specific websites with Google. They might simply not be aware they can target your site.  In which case, would it b worth your time showing them how to do this to increase the competition of advertisers bidding on your site?

Oh, I don't think that is possible. Far too big not to know that. I bet they have a team of dedicated Google people who work with them every day.

2. Sally's Trove profile image78
      Sally's Troveposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Maybe that's their first step in wanting to buy you outright. That possibility should give you an edge in your bargaining position.

Well, I have been down that road before.  Nobody has every offered a tenth of what I would want.

1. Sally's Trove profile image78
          Sally's Troveposted 13 years agoin reply to this

There's always tomorrow.

5. Greek One profile image63
    Greek Oneposted 13 years ago

Tell them I will double what ever they are offering.. let's start a bidding war!

6. skyfire profile image80
    skyfireposted 13 years ago

Why ad targeting has to be from google ? (Sites with 500-mil impressions in industry usually don't use products of google). There are many private targeting softwares available which you can use. If not private then there are some free like openX. I'm sure you know many sites with openX enabled.

Heard of CPM ad networks ? This is in no way different than those CPM ad networks like CPX interactive, Blast media etc where you take ad deals personally. Showing ads through ad-server has no issues at all with any SE and has no relation to google credibility or SEO.

No, this is not another ad network approaching me. I have had that happen; they never match Google.

This is one large company.

1. skyfire profile image80
        skyfireposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I know that but my point was companies do approach directly for display ads. PPC/CPC campaign is not what they want for exposure so they ditch google's tools and approach publisher directly.

7. lrohner profile image68
    lrohnerposted 13 years ago

If you "own" a good portion of your niche and have the targeted audience that they want, they would definitely want to deal with you, the publisher, so that they have total control of their campaign. Also, by going with you directly, they don't have to pay Google anything, so all of their marketing dollars for the campaign are going directly towards the campaign.

By dealing with you, they guarantee themselves a placement for as much time or as many impressions as they pay for, they can use whatever tracking code they want behind the banner or go through a third-party to serve the ad and I believe they have more control over tracking conversions directly related to the campaign with you. 

I used to sell ad space for our site on a monthly basis, with discounts for a prepay of 3, 6 or 9 months. Most agencies/marketing departments won't tie into a placement for longer than that -- 3 months yes, 6 months maybe.

My advice -- always have them PREPAY and never, ever, ever run an ad until the money is in your hands. I once ran several campaigns for a huge well-known brand with the initials RC (I don't want to shame them too badly -- but it's a large hotel chain). I didn't make them prepay because, after all, the company was so ethical and all. Nine months later, I had to have our company prezzie call their company prezzie and shame them into paying us the $30k they owed us -- and we did deliver. We had a better conversion rate for them than the NY Times!

8. RedElf profile image88
    RedElfposted 13 years ago

You're getting some wise advice from lrhoner - she knows whereof she speaks. I was similarly involved for a number of companies - ins and outs not so important; the last one was a large chain store - but discount for pay in advance is smart.

...and CONGRATS!

9. Pcunix profile image90

Nope. Turned out to be the typical bargain hunter looking for a naive publisher to take advantage of.

I'm sure the hunting is probably fairly good right now. A lot of people are struggling  and normal dips may cause them to panic.

I'm not easy to sucker smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)