jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (6 posts)

Doctor Auctions Off Tickets to Watch Him Perform Cancer Surgery

1. Stacie L profile image88
    Stacie Lposted 6 years ago

Doctor Auctions Off Tickets to Watch Him Perform Cancer Surgery

Published January 28, 2011

| NewsCore

Neurosurgeon Dr. Charlie Teo has defended auctioning off the opportunity watch him operate on cancer patients.

The auction for tickets to "Spend a day with Charlie Teo," which raised about $1,500 for a children's cancer charity - raised eyebrows among some doctors, the Australian reported this week.

After being appointed a Member of the Order of Australia this week, Teo was subjected to harsh criticism in the British Medical Journal for his October auction.

Click here to read more on this story from news.com.au.
    http://www.foxnews.com/health/2011/01/2 … r-surgery/

is this ethical?...is he taking advantage or teaching?

1. Sally's Trove profile image84
      Sally's Troveposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I think he's found a great way to raise funds for charity by appealing to the sense of macabre that many have. So long as the patients being operated on remain anonymous (along with consenting to be filmed) and so long as the money goes to a cause and not into the doctor's pockets, I don't see anything unethical about it. These kinds of surgical films have been around for a long time in the US, and they are aired for profit, not for charity.

Unfortunately, the link you included returns "Page not Found".

1. Barbara Kay profile image86
        Barbara Kayposted 6 years ago in reply to this

At first, I thought this sounded disgusting until I read the money will be donated to charity. I agree with Sally that he should have patient's approval and let him be anonymous.

2. IzzyM profile image88
    IzzyMposted 6 years ago

I don't agree. There are other ways to raise money for charity. It sounds to me like this doctor has some sort of complex in which he needs an audience and the adulation that would go along with it.

3. profile image0
    Nelle Hoxieposted 6 years ago

Lots of people watching, maybe the doctor does a better job. Given the proliferation of reality tv and the many people who like to be on it, I bet there are lots of patients who say let's do it.

1. Sally's Trove profile image84
      Sally's Troveposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I agree. This is not just the doctor's ego or selfishness or lack of concern. Though some find this distasteful, this doctor has found a way to benefit others with his skill, with the cooperation of those who have surgery. I'm thinking that those who are under the knife are glad to know their plight leads to something positive, and that's what counts.

working