jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (9 posts)

Why does HubPages use the short URL on Twitter?

1. seedling profile image57
    seedlingposted 6 years ago

I was using Twitter to build backlinks to my articles but I just noticed that HubPages use the short URL.  Since it is the long URL that has the article title (and will therefore rank higher) HubPages should generate a long URL when you do twitter.  After all, I am unlikely to promote the short URL anywhere.

2. lrohner profile image84
    lrohnerposted 6 years ago

I use the short URL since the long URLs are generally too long. You should use hashtags to get your keywords out there. smile

1. WryLilt profile image90
      WryLiltposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Spot on.

Hash tags are the way to promote. For instance typing "I like #red #cars" will put your message in the channel for the word "red" and the word "cars".

Since twitter is nofollow anyway, it's not a good place for building backlinks. However when people click the link and visit your page, it will change into the full link, which hopefully they will pass on and build you real backlinks.

seedlingposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Then I guess my point is moot.  For eome reason I thought they were dofollow.  I'll stop tweeting!

1. WryLilt profile image90
          WryLiltposted 6 years ago in reply to this

It's not good for building backlinks on twitter; I didn't say it wasn't good for building backlinks.

Tweets for various channels get picked up by many sites - so you can get a lot of good backlinks that way, too.

3. rebekahELLE profile image88
    rebekahELLEposted 6 years ago

a twitter message can only be 140 characters.

seedlingposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I think a lot of mine would fit.  I would rather chop of words from a title than use the short URL.  The short URL won't rank as highly in Google.

4. Pcunix profile image89
    Pcunixposted 6 years ago

And why do they persist in using escape characters that Twitter will not show correctly and that aren't needed anyway?

5. tritrain profile image74
    tritrainposted 6 years ago

You only have 140 characters, thus shorten urls are best.

working