Abusive Behavior

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (8 posts)
  1. The Frog Prince profile image72
    The Frog Princeposted 13 years ago

Being new here, I find that the forum is an excellent means to convey the message.  The other thing I have noticed is what I call the presence of "trolls."  I'm noticing here that their means of retaliation for not liking someone else's opinion, point of view  or comment is to down vote it. 

I suggest you implement a block feature on your forum that will allow a Hubber to block another user from voting or making comments on their particular threads. It would have to be the writer of the article him/herself who institutes the block.  It would not prevent anyone from having the ability to read what you wrote or see your profile.

What I have experienced right after I posted my last two articles is the base line score of 50, almost immediately declining to 49. I would bet dollars to donuts I know exactly who is voting down the Hub and it is because they don't like my point of view.  That should be prevented and the author should have, at his/her disposal, the tool to prevent such abuse.

The Frog Prince

1. Lisa HW profile image62
      Lisa HWposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I'm not sure you'd win that dollars/donuts bet.  My Hubs always start around 50.  From there they either go to 49 or 51 for a very, very, brief time; before they start to climb away from that 50-plus-or-minus-1 area.  Maybe that's a first reader, or few readers, voting them down; but, while some climb higher than others, they generally climb way beyond the 50's in a fairly short time.  (Some gradually drop back into the 60's or 50's after they've been up for months.  The ones that do drop that way have usually been foolish Hubs I wrote because they "seemed like a good idea at the time" (in other words, not the greatest Hubs); or else they were duplicate content (which has been allowed until recently).   In other words, dropping to 49 is just what a lot of them do for a few hours.

The Frog Princeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Lisa, maybe it was only a coincidence that it happened my last two posts.  I'm monitoring that aspect of it.  It never happened to my first 7 that I posted.  I do understand the scoring system and my Hubs get good scores.

If you reread my comment you might glean what I propose to do about abusive users.  It shouldn't be tolerated.  You, as the writer, shouldn't have to be subjected to the actions of a malicious user. 

Thanks for the reply.

The Frog

2. skyfire profile image81
    skyfireposted 13 years ago

Score goes down because of many factors - internal links, outgoing links etc. It's not because of flagging from members and as for moderator flagging, they'll unpublish article instead of voting it down.

As for this suggestion -

I agree.

I get your points but I also am aware from doing my research that down voting affects the score.  Check it out.  Most of it I have been witnessing seems rather malicious.

The Frog

3. WryLilt profile image88
    WryLiltposted 13 years ago

Welcome to Hubpages.

My best advice to any newcomer to the forums is - avoid the religious and political forums unless you have a thick skin.

One of our resident awesome hubbers, Edweirdo, even made a simple plugin that allows you to view only the forums you wish (so you can turn off the ones with the annoying people in.) Check out his profile for more info: http://hubpages.com/profile/Edweirdo

As for the decline in hub score - this has nothing to do with voting. You'll find that when you first publish an article, the hubscore will often sink by up to 5 points. It can take up to a week to start seriously climbing and sometimes months to get above 75 or 80.

The staff have said that the vote buttons on hubs have no or negligible effect on hubscore.

And remember - hubscore has nothing to do with getting earnings or views.

That would be a problem since I am a political writer.  I do have a thick skin my friend but don't condone, nor tolerate, malicious conduct by users. 

Thanks for the reply.

The Frog

4. Uninvited Writer profile image79
    Uninvited Writerposted 13 years ago

It has been proven time and time again that down votes do not affect your score. If someone is constantly voting down one person's hub it will be noticed by HubPages admin.

There is also the fact that it is taking Google longer to find articles and the scores will go down before they start going up. Fluctuating scores have more to do with traffic than anything else.

People aren't going to go out of their way to vote you down just because they disagree with what you say. Don't think so much of yourself.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)