jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (6 posts)

Could someone explain what this means--no linking from external sites?

1. TamCor profile image83
    TamCorposted 6 years ago

"We do not allow linking to our images from external sites, this uses our badwidth which we are charged for and we will take direct action to block these requests."

I was wanting to do a hub on a certain topic, and went to their main website for more info, and I saw this.

Does that mean I can't use their pictures of products, or does it mean I can't put a link to their website in my hub?

Thanks for any help...

Tammy

1. Michael Willis profile image81
      Michael Willisposted 6 years agoin reply to this

They do not allow you to "link" to their image. Whether or not they will allow you to use the image is a different matter.

If the image is necessary, you might e-mail the owner and "ask permission" to use the image. I have done this a couple of times and one said yes with attribution in an e-mail response, which I saved!
      The other wanted a price to use theirs, so I chose not to go that route.

2. TamCor profile image83
    TamCorposted 6 years ago

Thank you, Michael!  Well, since I only know how to link to a page, not an image, I guess I won't worry about it, lol. Well, I know how to do it through something like Photobucket, but I don't think that's what they mean.

That's another thing on my list, I guess...learning to link to images...ugh... big_smile

Thanks again--I appreciate it!

Tammy

1. Michael Willis profile image81
      Michael Willisposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Some owners of an image may allow you to download the image and then upload to your site. Just be sure they approve first.
      I try not to link to any image since the location could change or be deleted and then I would have an empty space left behind.

1. Patty Inglish, MS profile image94
        Patty Inglish, MSposted 6 years agoin reply to this

"Hotlinking", I think it has been called; which ties up bandwidth.

3. paradigmsearch profile image94
    paradigmsearchposted 6 years ago

The website hates bandwidth thieves. And they are right to do so. smile

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inline_linking

working