Adsense revenue sharing sites worth the 'footprint'

Jump to Last Post 1-14 of 14 discussions (24 posts)
  1. mcbean profile image67
    mcbeanposted 14 years ago

After reading another info packed hub from Mark Knowles I note he recommends not using the revenue sharing feature of sites such as Shetoldme and snipsly as your adsense code will leave a 'footprint' for google to see you are creating your own backlinks.

See:  http://hubpages.com/hub/building-link-w … c-software

He feels the revenue is not worth the association google will make between your primary content and your own backlinks.

Anyone have an opinion on this?

1. TerryGl profile image58
      TerryGlposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I do. Mark is talking about footprints. Example - if you submit the same article in one day, Google will compare each article including the dates and the pen name and other variables such as article layout, word count etc... They will then declare the links in each duped article as useless.

That in short is leaving a footprint.

As Mark also stated, with your web 2.0 sites you sign up using a different user name. That way there is a no follow of you. Now if you put your adsense id in, then hello, guess who sees the pattern. Just because you change your name etc doesn't really leave a footprint (More on this) but your adsense id does.

What Mark also forgot to mention is when you build a link wheel at different web 2.0 sites, use a proxy server when visiting each web 2.0 site, that way your ip address is not leaving one very big huge footprint (when done manually).

2. profile image0
    Nelle Hoxieposted 14 years ago

So we shouldn't use anything with adsense on it, as backlinks? I have used blogger blogs - monetized with adsense for years for backlinks. It seems to be working for me. But I also link all of my own sites together as well.

Everyone has their own theories about what is right and wrong on the web and how to do things. Over the years, I've learned to experiment and see for myself what works and doesn't work. Sometimes I agree with the crowd and sometimes I don't.

(Duplicate content was my big downfall.)

3. sunforged profile image70
    sunforgedposted 14 years ago

It is often repeated that google is obviously smart enough to notice when  its spiders are romping in the same places (index/rank & adsense or even analytics!)

But in general as far as "footprints" go, that term is used in reference to when you are using "illegal" promotion methods, automated software, linkbuilding programs, articlespinners etc.

When you are gaming the g00gle you have to hide your methods - if a part of your system is brought under scrutiny than you want to be sure your whole network doesnt collapse.

Such concerns are far more complex than a hubber using a few minuscule revshare sites needs to be worried about.

When you have 200 niche WP blogs filled with nothing but spun content - backed up by 1000 article links at 6 of the major article directories, each supported by a blogger site and dozens of articles at hubpages, IB, squidoo, weebly and etc..., all for a lucrative niche like 'diamond engagement ring' than it becomes very important to hide your footprint

But the revenue isnt worth it at the sites you mentioned..although shetoldme has other benefits and allows you to monetize through chitika also

4. sunforged profile image70

If you peaked around at what types of terms Mark ranks first page for, you would know to just believe him!

But - the one sentence you have taken out of context doesnt stand alone

5. profile image0

I'm taking notes sunforged and off to read Mark's hub as well. Well maybe tomorrow, it's 2 AM here and I try to keep "normal hours."

1. KT Banks profile image62
      KT Banksposted 14 years agoin reply to this

HaHa, For me, early morning hours, 2:30 am and such, ARE my normal hours. Most of my life, when I had a "normal" career, it was bedtime at 10:30 and up at 6:30.
      That has completely changed now that I write full time and my kids are older. I am blessed with a 14 year old that gets himself up and off to school.
      - Anyway, I'm still looking for an answer on how to get followers. As a fairly new hubber, my scores or ranks are okay, but after 5 weeks or so, I only have 4 followers. Is the key just about writing what other people want me to write about? That will never work for me, I'm too rebellious, and I enjoy the freedom of self expression.
      Good thing I don't count on making any money from this, I write novels for that.
      Kinda hurts my feelings though, the lack of followers.

1. thisisoli profile image71
        thisisoliposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I didn't really write anythig to appeal to start with, but the followers have only actually started coming in for me the last couple of months. A good start is forum participation, where people will view your writing, and may be enticed on to your hubs to read your work smile

6. mcbean profile image67
    mcbeanposted 14 years ago

Thanks for the clarification Sunforged and Nelle.

I should have known better than to try and understand what Mark was up to.

1. sunforged profile image70
      sunforgedposted 14 years agoin reply to this

i hope it didnt seem like i was putting down using the revshare sites with my example - it was 2am when i was blearily typing that and I was just trying to use an exaggerated comparison .

In theory, your concern could be correct, but its not that your backlinks from an ad revenue site would hurt you, just that maybe they wouldnt be worth as much. But the thing is those revshare sites you mention...they will never be worth much anyway (as far as authority goes)..who is ever going to link to one of those little summary posts? So there is nothing to lose and the possibility of some slight direct monetary gain (Xomba gives me great adsense returns for the few days that the new posts top google - shetoldme does alright for chitika, seems to stay ranking for weeks so can be a good short term traffic boost but not impressed w/ adsense returns)

But when you start developing entire sites intended just to send links to another post or hub or article - than you have to start being careful about what links where and how obvious it is that its all the same publisher (you)

mark is talking about some higher level tools and techniques, different rules apply there.

i dont think any of that made sense..im going to bed

7. thisisoli profile image71
    thisisoliposted 14 years ago

I think this is being slightly paranoic.

Google does have a lot of ways to check up on overly promotional linking, and does prefer links from organic sources. However I am extremely doubtful that google checks up the IP address of users on web 2.0 websites.

In some ways hiding your footprint from google can be useful, and easy to do.  Remember that what Google really penalizes is the people who try to cheat the system though!

The links from sites such as Snipsly are rarely larger than PR1 at any rate, and will never be high value.  Linking to your own sites is not heavily penalized by Google, and I doubt it would harm your site. Linking to your own websites from unrelated webpages however is penalized.

1. Mike Rogers profile image61
      Mike Rogersposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I'm with thisisoli on this one. I'm doubtful Google would endanger widespread use of AdSense by fostering paranoia about how/where an individual's web properties are linked.

Outright fraud is another story, but conventional linking between your own sites has been the norm for a long time.

Mike smile

2. MyWebs profile image79
      MyWebsposted 14 years agoin reply to this

"Linking to your own websites from unrelated webpages however is penalized."

Since you can't control who links to you Google does not penalize you, but there just wouldn't be any real benefit either.

IF Google applied a penalty it would make it *way* too easy to use bad neighborhoods to sabotage your competition.

The only penalty is if your site links out to bad hoods online.

1. thisisoli profile image71
        thisisoliposted 14 years agoin reply to this

It's not me saying that, it's Matt Cutts, who works for Google.

Personally I don't know how they do it, and it doesn't really amtter to me how they spot sabotage. But the big thing he said about bad inwards links was to do with reciprocals and purchased links, both of which Google can track quite easily, and both of which can negatively affect your website, according to Matt Cutts.

Again, this is not something I have established through my own research, it is what Google has said to webmasters directly.

If you want to spend time and effort doing this anyway thats up to you, I definately won't be trying to stop you, but I listen to what the Google programmers say, since they are the ones who's work decides who gets to the top of google and who gets banished to the supplimentals.

1. Ultimate Hubber profile image72
          Ultimate Hubberposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I heard him saying that linking to bad neighborhoods won't hurt because you have no control over who links to your site. And this really seems logical.

I can't find what you are claiming, can you quote the link to the Matt Cutts post here?

8. profile image0

I must admit though that my online empire is divided into large chunks. And I keep them separate. Partly because some of the chunks are not adsense friendly. But within the chunks I link everything.

And I've become so paranoid about my ebay account - I only use it on HP. Because I bet they watch out for fraudsters and click bot attacks. Those types of things are way beyond my skill set. And I've read reports from users that were thrown out of ebay, because ebay did not like the referral sites to the ebay sites.

9. DanPowers profile image46
    DanPowersposted 14 years ago

I've never had problems linking my various websites together. I think you people are over-paranoiding it sometimes!

10. Daisydot profile image59
    Daisydotposted 14 years ago

I suppose it all depends on what scale you are linking on.

Google has a small staff - just 20,000 people look after their entire machine world wide, and lots of those will be doing new things, Buzz or whatever.

And there are billions of pages on the net. So for them to notice a footprint, their algorithms need to pick it up. And I think they would only pick up correlations if linking was done on a massive scale, very fast. They already know that large amounts of stuff submitted to Digg and other sites are by the owner, so I doubt they will treat SheToldMe and others any different.

As long as people keep things low key and do their backlink building slowly, I doubt they'll produce activity that the Google algorithms notice enough to flag for a manual review.

1. Daisydot profile image59
      Daisydotposted 14 years agoin reply to this

P.S. Mark seems to have unpublished his page?

1. sunforged profile image70
        sunforgedposted 14 years agoin reply to this

probably a wise move, if you are writing an article that includes the advice "be careful of footprints" and tells about linkbuilding software than associating any of your adsense ids is counter intuitive - he probably took his own advice!

11. sunforged profile image70

I also follow Matt Cutts blogs closely and webmaster forums - but I dont blindly believe everything I read, in many cases its propaganda and scare tactics - Google cant do all you think they can or all they say they do, but on the other hand they can do more than we imagine and say very little about it.

12. Mark Knowles profile image57
    Mark Knowlesposted 14 years ago

Actually - this has now been republished - slight hiccup with the hubpages moderators. smile

What I was doing is passing on things I have learned and I respectfully suggest that adding an adsense ID to a page linking to a site where you make your primary income from adsense using the same ID is probably going to have that link devalued - and not worth the minimal income it would generate.

As for the footprint I am leaving on the hub in question. Meh - pretty sure the algorithm is not that sophisticated just yet.

Adsense IDs - pretty easy to track and program for.

Analytics on purely adsense sites? I don't add it any more - and you might be surprised at the difference. wink

13. BDazzler profile image79
    BDazzlerposted 14 years ago

Here's what I know ... I may go toe to toe with Mark on his opinions on religion and science, but the man knows how to make a buck online...if this is the method he's using, it's because he's making money at it.  I don't use the term "expert" lightly when I say that when it comes to making money online, the man is an expert.  We would do well to listen.

14. profile image49
    dannynewton89posted 13 years ago

So what can a person do to hide their footprint? Right now, I use an IP blocker that changes Ips every five minutes. I'm doing this, because I don't think that using a different username, and a different Pen Name is enough. What are your thoughts on it?

Closed to reply

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)