Writing about Random Subjects? You are doing it Wrong!

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (29 posts)
  1. brandonhart100 profile image76
    brandonhart100posted 12 years ago

Assuming you care to be visible to big G.

1. Start with a niche topic that can get a lot of search results. Use the adword keyword tool to find it. If you don't know what that is google "adword keyword tool".

2. Make a hub based on that topic that is somewhat broad concerning that particular subject.

3. Write many (10-20 is a good place to start) other hubs concerning the same subject (hopefully they have a similar identifiable keyword in the title) and then have them link to each other and most of the time back to the "main" hub of your niche. (If you write enough articles, then this could be 2 or 3 "main" hubs depending on which ones you see doing well).

4. Participate actively in Online Communities including forums, social platforms, other 2.0 web sites, blog comments, and create a worthwhile path back to all of your niche hubs (not just to the main article and don't SPAM).  When in doubt about what is spam read Google's own article:

http://googlewebmastercentral.blogspot. … -site.html 

5. Watch your Search Engine Love Grow.

1. WriteAngled profile image74
      WriteAngledposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yes, but that's boring. I don't want to keep hammering on the same narrow little topic. I'm interested in lots of subjects. If that means I don't earn, so be it. I'd rather be poor and intellectually stimulated than a rich automaton!

brandonhart100posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Thus the initial disclaimer.

2. Ramsa1 profile image64
        Ramsa1posted 12 years agoin reply to this

WriteAngled: ideally, I think it would be better to be rich and intellectually stimulated. smile

2. lrohner profile image67
    lrohnerposted 12 years ago

If I was going to go to the trouble of writing that many hubs on the same topic, I would just start up a niche site instead of publishing them here. smile

1. Rochelle Frank profile image89
      Rochelle Frankposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I'm glad you shared that thought, Irohner.
      I Do think brandonhart has a good tip for people serious about good earnings.
      Mine are all over the field as far as subject, and I fear I will never have a real niche of my own.

1. paradigmsearch profile image60
        paradigmsearchposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Same here. smile

2. brandonhart100 profile image76

Ah you are correct; however, there are still many benefits to writing at HP... the most valuable being keyword testing and ease of use. 

I can write articles on HP 2-3 times faster than I can on any other platform I have.

On HP I also don't have to worry about website speed, credibility, spam, and activity.  I can also see all my content at the same time...

I have 3 WP sites myself as well (with many subdomains)...  Taking a niche from HP to the web is usually my second step... but I still see value in writing a series of niche content hubs on HP.

1. Marisa Wright profile image87
        Marisa Wrightposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Well, exactly.  That's why it makes sense to write on a broad range of topics on HP, so you can see which keywords work and which don't.

If you just concentrate on one niche, you're never going to know what you might be missing. My best performing Hubs are on topics I'd never have thought would make money.

1. wilderness profile image95
          wildernessposted 12 years agoin reply to this

You beat me to it, Marisa.  Without trying a wide range of subjects you will never know what works for you.  There is much to consider when writing a hub for profit, and keywords are not the only thing, or even the most important, to consider.  Your personal knowledge on the subject, your personal involvement in it, your enthusiasm in it all matter.  Without these a hub is just a hub, but when they are combined it can be something far more.

*see my response to this below

3. Cagsil profile image71
    Cagsilposted 12 years ago

Writing about Random Subject? Is actually good for those who can maintain a level of consistency within a structure zone of writing on those random subjects.

There are only so many subjects to write about to begin with and many people cannot write more than 100 topics and manage them with some assembled order.

Niche writing is exactly that- niche writing. It is on a specific topic.

I, myself, write on several topics and each of them are associated and broken down into smaller topics. It would be wise to pick a generalized category and then write about smaller components of each category you choose. wink

But, I don't think telling people that they are wrong about how they write is the answer. Especially, when people write about what they know and knowledge is varied by the individual to begin with.

You've assumed that I am telling people that they are wrong about what they are writing about when in fact I am telling them what they need to do on HP in order to be successful in Google.

Go ahead write about whatever you want to write about... but the old methods of discovering keywords by writing on a random topic don't work anymore.

1. Cagsil profile image71
        Cagsilposted 12 years agoin reply to this

And the TITLE of your thread says they are wrong. Enough said.

Just an eye catcher Cagsil please read the first line "Assuming you care to be visible to big G".

4. rebekahELLE profile image85
    rebekahELLEposted 12 years ago

yes, I do think niches are good, as long as people are searching for the topics. [I often wonder how many articles there are online about how to make money online... isn't it a bit over saturated?]  hmm  480,000,000  search results.

I like to think of hubs like a tree. Niches are the different types of trees (topics). I do write on different subjects, but only a handful. Many of them are interconnected. I would be very bored if I only wrote about one subject, especially if it's in my field of work.

1. profile image0
      Motown2Chitownposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Three words, rebekah - Right on, girl!

5. theherbivorehippi profile image65
    theherbivorehippiposted 12 years ago

I use my websites for my niche topics.  Hubpages in my place to come and write about the odds and ends of things that don't fit anywhere else yet I'm interested in and I want to write about.

Again I really don't think that this works well anymore... Most of my random topic articles that aren't interlinked or supported by strong backlinks get 0 traffic...

What I'm saying is that if you care about traffic, then your writing can't be as random as it was in the past...

1. theherbivorehippi profile image65
        theherbivorehippiposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Well...all I can say is that some of my most off the wall random hubs that are completely stand alone topics in my collection see the best traffic.  You can have your opinion but that doesn't make you right.  I don't have an issue with my traffic, maybe you do?  I'm happy with my accolades and I'm content with my hubs....even the most random ones.

That's great that you've been able to keep your content... and established content on HP seems to do well.  I have no doubt that you have a few backlinks here and there... and seeing as you have been here for 18 months ... much of your content is established (read my thoughts about that below).... After looking at it much of your content is indeed interlinked. (especially after 418 hubs).

If your random content is doing well I can only assume that you are passing some links to that content as well or have written on extremely unique subject matter.

As far as my traffic... I've received 300k hits since I joined HP back in mid-November...  This does not include the traffic I've received from other user names nor does it include traffic I've received from Niche sites.

My advice is more for newer hubbers that need to develop their "niche".  They can take it or leave it; however, their establishment on HP will not be as easy for them by writing on random subjects like it was for those who came before them. (if that makes sense ;P  )

2. chenderson00 profile image57
        chenderson00posted 12 years agoin reply to this

I'm going to try this advice. If it works, great. If not, then I just made a few more articles and tried. I believe some people are having more success since Google changed.

My fiance is making TONS of money online right now, while I'm stuck. He's explained and educated me on his techniques but I still have my own 'mindset' of the old Google rules...so I've had a hard time adjusting and get frustrated.

I will honestly take this method and apply it. I'll let you know how it goes. Hey, if you are giving advice on this subject and I've been 'failing' -- I'll try anything. You can see my sad rant here:
        http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/74034

Thanks for the tips... smile Hope it helps smile

6. PaulGoodman67 profile image94
    PaulGoodman67posted 12 years ago

I used some small groups of hubs as bait for sending traffic to my niche blogs.  Now it's the other way around and the hubs are the ones that are benefitting from incoming traffic.

I think you make a valid point.  But the main appeal of HPs is that you can write about lots of different things.

Is it just me, or are most/many of the big hitting hubbers absent from these forums nowadays?

To be honest, (if they really have left) I see this as a lost opportunity for them and an opportunity for me... whoever said that there are only so many topics to write about above was correct.  In fact, many topics that get ranked in the SEP on HP seem to never be able to lose that ranking (I admit that I've tried). 

If they take their content elsewhere, then that just opens up a slot for me; however, you'll see that most of them have left their good earning content here on HP as it's a potential gold mine.

Besides... who is a heavy hitter?  I have more than one account on HP myself so that I can take a niche topic and write completely on that topic with another username...  A lot of the heavy hitters prefer nondisclosure for fear of being copied... and I don't blame them. 

So in summary, for those who still care about earning a living on HP you can still do it.  Be focused, be niche oriented, and make sure to naturally link your niche content.

7. brandonhart100 profile image76
    brandonhart100posted 12 years ago

I just wanted to add that if you've taken my title as saying that you are writing the wrong way that it's not meant to be taken that way.  Write for your own reasons.... I'm simply giving new hubbers advice on how to get noticed by Google.  Again... Take it or leave it.

8. Bill Manning profile image67
    Bill Manningposted 12 years ago

Your giving great advice brandonhart100. What you say to do is a time proven way to do it. It's not the only way but one of the best ways.

I practice what your saying as one of the tricks I use. Only I use them on my own sites, not any 3rd party site. Yes Hubpages is a good place to write and get links from.

Anyways thanks for the advice, it's good. smile

9. sunforged profile image70
    sunforgedposted 12 years ago

Ima proponent of writing in series here at HP - discovering bread winning terms and markets, writing more on that topic, maybe open a new niche hub account or start a website around the terms.

Its a form of data mining.

BUT (and its a big but) a third party site is exactly where you would write on random topics. As most topics you write about will have been tangentially  covered already on HP so you get interlinks from that existing related content and you dont have to add the random content yo your own more focused sites.

Your most likely to find your best success (IMO) in the middle .. you write about random topics that catch your eye to your hearts content here ..use the traffic and search data to find a winning term or market and then hit it from every angle you can imagine (this actually requires some creativity and may still keep those who think its boring happy) by writing about it exactly as BH100 described.

If you are going to write random topics or are still feeling out a term or markets potential a site like HP is exactly where you publish it.

10. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 12 years ago

Um, another important tip is to have a clear title accurately representing your main message.  e.g. if you post is, here is one way to do it, don't title the hub: y'all are doing it wrong wink

11. earner profile image82
    earnerposted 12 years ago

I thought I'd 'cracked it' when a hub contest last year started, that gave me the chance to write hubs every day for a month about something I was interested in writing lots about - and it was all linked and relevant.  And it got traffic and links, from the hubmob and hubpages; I even 'won' some $50s.

It's a year on and it's not set the world alight at all.... my random scribblings about this and that make me more.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)