A Few Questions on Hubpages Moderation - Important

Jump to Last Post 1-2 of 2 discussions (7 posts)
  1. Inspiration88 profile image70
    Inspiration88posted 12 years ago

Hello,

Hubpages is a good place to publish informative short articles and product reviews, while having the option to leave affiliate links to these products.

I recently published a few hubs on different topics (Yeast infection, UTIs, CMS and others) and gave 4-5 links on each to useful products (many of which I have tried myself) related to the specific health issue.

Yesterday I saw the 4 hubs were highlighted in red "needing revision because of being overly promotional" and that it was allowed for up to 2 links per hub. Since the products I was sharing were carefully selected for the specific issue, not simply put there in order to hit more clicks, and I do want to share them with the readers, I decided only to remove the links.

So that the product titles remained as plain text in bold. These are technically not links. And I left two links on each hub - one linked product title and one link to the online store itself. (all products I refer to are from one online store to which I also give my affiliate discount code - in plain text - and ask that if anyone should buy any of the suggested products to use this code at check out)

The hubs went green "waiting for administrator revision". Now I just saw they were back in red again. I checked and the warning messages now stated: for the Candida hub (rating 77) that it was still overly promotional:

"This Hub has been identified as excessively promoting another site or sites. It may contain too many links, links on short or “teaser” content, too many Amazon/eBay capsules for the amount of text, or appears solely designed to procure back links. In order to have it republished, you will need to remove some or all of the links and/or revise or add to the content."

Ok, so the hub does not has too many links now, just two, the rest are product titles in plain text. No product capsules or any other capsule other than comments below. The content is neither "short" nor "teaser" it is as long as the length of most hubs around and it cannot be said that the information is of low quality. On the contrary, based on its high rating - which went high quite fast. Finally, the hub, as the other hubs of mine, give quality information and are useful reviews, even though they all end with suggestion to buy the products from XXXX vendor and use the discount code. If they want, if not they had read good and useful info with guides on the concerned topic.

Practically, the hubs in question are not sub-standard in their content nor do they have more than 2  links. They do promote certain products, but also quality products, not just any products for promotion's sake. After all, "writing quality, informative hubs and making money" is the point of hubpages or am I missing the point? Or is there an angry administrator on me who is taking me on personally? Which would be highly unprofessional. Don't know if there are such intrigues around here.

On my UTIs hub (rating 74) the warning has changed to "Unrelated Links or Products" .. excuse me? Can the administrator give any argument on why they decided that the links (to 1 product and XXXX web store) are unrelated? There is one link to d-mannose and d-mannose IS used for urinary tract infections. Unrelated? There are no other *links*, just product titles to supplements that boost the immune system. The reason why the immune sys. needs to be boosted for UTIs (and all other infections) I have argumented in the article itself. What is this unjustified moderation here?

My CMS hub (rating 68, published 3 days ago) is now marked as "substandard". Which is definitely not the case, as I said above, it is as good as many other hubs around. The grammar and spelling is normal, I guess 1 or 2 spelling mistakes can not cause a "substandard" label, could it?

I recently had a small argument with user "aslanlight" in the comments section. She said that the supplements I was referring to were useless for CMS. Then I argued that she is not correct and that I did researched before recommending anything and also there were user reviews to the products themselves. Could she be a hubpages administrator, I wonder ?

And the last hub from 2 days ago (62) is again marked as "substrandard", to which I also cannot agree.

... So, what is going on in hubpages? Am I missing the point? Please, comment and clarify me the situation.

Thank you in advance for your responses all fellow hubbers and moderators alike who may happen to stumble upon this forums post!

1. Greekgeek profile image79
      Greekgeekposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I had a similar situation a while back. I wrote a series of hubs that were essentially review seminars for college freshmen. I have TAed or taught art history and Greek mythology at the graduate level, so I thought I'd try my hand at teaching online, starting with my favorite topics: ancient Greek art and mythology. I chose Hubpages to publish them.

10,000+ readers later, my Hubs were unpublished due to being "overly promotional." I had linked to a website I'd written about a trip I made to Greece, in which I included a lot more information on ancient Greek art, history, and archaeology. I deleted all the links but one on each Hub, because I wanted to retain a photo credit proving the illustrations really were my own photos of Greek art and archaeological sites. tried publishing again. They were still blocked by moderators as "overly promotional." I gave up and moved them to my own blog or other websites, where they do very well.

Moral of the story: Hubpages is very, very strict on outbound links. The quality of the content is irrelevant. The relevance of the site to which you are linking also seems to be irrelevant. I'm sure HP is being even more picky since the Panda update.

I'm not sure how you can work around that if you're actually promoting products: I have no idea how you could do affiliate marketing on HP under the new system.

My solution has been to stop writing articles in the fields for which I've got graduate degrees -- I've been creating educational webpages for nearly 20 years, and I refuse to tiptoe around linking to things that might be useful to students, even if they're mine. So I've been writing on areas outside my major (ironically enough) which I can research, but for which I don't have a lot of work already published on the web.

Good luck. Every site must find its own ways to maintain quality, and if we don't like house rules, we've simply got to publish elsewhere.

1. profile image0
        Norah Caseyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Your hubs were duplicated, and at that time duplicate content was permitted as long as it was not accompanied by outbound, promotional links. We emailed you personally on this issue. I apologize if you did not receive this email.

2. Inspiration88 profile image70
        Inspiration88posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Thank you, Greekgeek, I actually thought  about making a blog or two on health topics and herbal supplements. Since these are increasingly developing as another interest of mine and I read a lot about it, so I will have plenty of info to share and want to give as much links as I please.

Hubpages i not bad in the part of easy publishing and ready traffic. Of course, with web 2.0 and blogs SEO optimization, vizibility can be easily eacheived with good and plentiful content.

Thanks for the answers! I will go sleep for today.

2. profile image0
      Norah Caseyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Since the readers on the site cannot see your hubs, they cannot provide feedback as to why your hubs were moderated.

The hub that was moderated as "overly-promotional" actually contained unrelated links. I apologize for the confusion. I have sent the correct violation email to you.

One hub is promoting libido enhancing content, which we consider to be too adult for publication on HubPages.

For more information on your poorly structured hubs, contact us directly by responding to your violation email(s).

1. Inspiration88 profile image70
        Inspiration88posted 12 years agoin reply to this

I will, tomorrow. Thank you, Norah.

2. Inspiration88 profile image70
    Inspiration88posted 12 years ago

The hubs in question are similar to information and writing quality, as well as formatting to this one <link snipped>

Only that two of them are longer with more info, especially the one about Candida. The only difference is that the hub on the link above refers to only one specific product with no similar product titles (in plain text) suggested in addition. Please, guide me in the rules around hubpages. Should I make a separate hub for every single product that is related to certain health condition?

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)