How Much of a Hub Can be Copied from Your Other Hubs?

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (20 posts)
  1. Mutiny92 profile image66
    Mutiny92posted 12 years ago

I notice that there is another tactic to get a lot of content published:  reuse content from your other hubs.

In particular, http://hubpages.com/search/include:hubs … protection

The titles and parts of a couple of paragraphs are changed, but everything else is reused. 

If this is an ok tactic, please let us know.  I was under the impression that the copy-check would prohibit these.

Thanks!

Mutiny92posted 12 years agoin reply to this
    2. Uninvited Writer profile image79
      Uninvited Writerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I would definitely flag them. It is not allowed.

UW:  I am not too sure...This hubber is 4 years old and has 1M+ views.  It also has passed HP's copied hub filters, I suspect.

1. Uninvited Writer profile image79
          Uninvited Writerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Maybe she has been flying under the radar of Hub admin. It's kind of ridiculous if you can use exactly the same content over and over.

Its possible that the copying started after the account was highlighted a few years ago:

http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/1471#post6739

2. Mutiny92 profile image66

It looks like a lot of copying is going on.

http://hubpages.com/search/%22+“My+do … lergies%22

And, from another part of the same hub:

http://hubpages.com/search/Poultry+by-p … centrated.

Simply copy and paste various parts of hubs for quite the variety!

1. IzzyM profile image86
      IzzyMposted 12 years agoin reply to this

How does she get away with this when sunforged, one of the best site writers, gets his great hubs pulled?

Izzy, I do not know.  I wish the management would take a look at the priorities they are communicating to the honest hubbers out here.

I suspect that these authors with troubling hubs are more of a risk to the site than Josh...Placing them on probation is an interesting approach, especially since most of them aren't publishing under those names anymore.  Its a non-punishment.  They are still allowed to earn income from their junk hubs, but SF is not....

These questionable authors sure don't meet high quality standards or leave readers with a good user experience that Google posited in their questions to webmasters.  But, it appears that my opinion is in the minority.

1. IzzyM profile image86

Your opinion is certainly not in the minority. I suspect most of the forum posters left on HP at the moment are newbies, who don't feel they have the right to express an opinion, one way or the other, because they do not know the 'characters' here. I understand that.

Someone posted on another thread, or maybe more than one person, that HP should put some kind of exclusion into their filters for hubbers with a high hubberscore.

The vast majority of spammers here on HP, and that includes the person whose hubs you highlighted, have lower hubberscores.

AskSusanPeters has a hubberscore of 67. Software is in place to see who are genuinely good hubbers and those who aren't.

I completely understand why HP would not want to remove those hubbers who are bringing them in money. They are a business after all.

But, hey come on guys, a little respect.

It works both ways, you know.

I think we have all got the utmost respect for HP, for its staff, for the way they make hubbers feel welcome and part of a community and not just a business.

As far as I can see, the best way to resolve the ongoing problems, is to offer a one to one service to hubbers with a score of, say, 90 or over.

Allocate a member of staff, say Simone, because she is a real 'people person', to pacify each hubber with a specific issue.

This 'email team' business is not working. the staff are snowed under and don't reply, although to be fair, they have republished all my non-compliant hubs within hours of unpublishing, so far.

I wrote and asked if it was OK to write a hub about a certain topic that is viral just now, even though I am pretty certain Adsense are OK with the wording, I wanted to hear it from the staff before I went to the effort.

I did a blurb about it on xobba.com and it's been doing well.

I waited 10 whole days and never got a reply, so I wrote a blog about it instead.

The hits I am getting are phenomenal! So, sorry, HP's loss.

1. profile image0
            Norah Caseyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Unfortunately, that is not the case. The HubScore algorithm is great, but it is not perfect and cannot replace a reasonable human being. While reviewing profile flags last night, I found several accounts with high Author Scores that contained only spun content.

I'm not sure when you sent this email, but our last email from your HubPages profile was sent to us in mid-April. It is always best to use the email diverter to contact us. I apologize for the confusion this may have caused.

1. IzzyM profile image86

I just checked my sent email folder and it was sent on the 9th of May. Thanks for your thorough reply. I am shocked that some top hubbers are spinning their content, but you must admit that is serious compared to having a mildly pixelated image.

What is the email diverter?

3. Paul Edmondson profile imageSTAFF
    Paul Edmondsonposted 12 years ago

We try and be cautious with our dupe checker.  At the very beginning of HubPages we didn't track duplicate content. To be fair, many Hubs are copied after they are published on HubPages. We didn't want these Hubs to be unfairly marked as duplicates. 

At the same time, we are continuing development on the dupe checker and think we'll see some really good improvement to catch some of the items in this thread.

I appreciate the comments Paul. 

I hope there is discussion on priorities.  The hubbers that are given a "hall pass" (by being put on probation) are the ones who bring in a lot of views and money but are acknowledged to have pretty lame hubs.

The onus is placed on the community to flag each and every one of their thousands of hubs to be reviewed...the benefit of the doubt is given to let THEM stay published and earn money. 

This says to the hard-working folks, that spam, copied, "disingenuous website review" and low-quality hubs are not as big of a deal as unrelated links, the 50/1 rule, or other violations that DO warrant immediate unpublishing. 

This seems to fly in the face of the two communications from Google to 1) remove low-quality content; and 2) ask yourself the 23 questions relating to good user experiences on your site.

Unfortunately, HP's actions give mixed messages. 

How long should we take out of our day to flag hubs of known mass-violators?  (if WE know they are bad and YOU know they are bad, why not address it yourself instead of telling hubbers to keep flagging their hubs?)  How many flags/moderation actions does one hubber need before the burden of cleaning up their crap is put back on THEM? 

How many man-hours will be saved if an email was sent to the mass-violators to tell them they have XX days to clean up their hubs or else all their hubs will be unpublished?  When they want to resubmit compliant hubs, it will need the approval of a moderator?  How many man-hours would be saved?  Is that fair to the violator?  Is that fair to the community who is working hard to help?

We could be writing good hubs and earning money for both you and us instead of flagging hubs that we BOTH know are bad.

1. IzzyM profile image86

Where's the like button? Well said!

thanks Izzy...I feel like I'm fighting windmills though.

2. Mutiny92 profile image66

Kudos to the HP staff for taking action on the account of the worst of these offenders!

4. profile image0
    Twenty One Daysposted 12 years ago

Just a weird thought. There a way to set a Timestamp of when the Hub is published and use it to determine duplicate content on or off site. Even if updated, the time stamp or publishing date can be set to non-current...

I know tracing/tracking dupe content is tough, given the nature of paragraph structuring, externally. internally, it is a pretty basic check, when the writer c-p's the content from one article to the next. A nice ditty would be a warning of this or a "can't publish yet, check the content"... Still, if I post a recipe for BBQ Ribs that comes near another, it could cause a problem too. Hmm.

...Sorry, just typing aloud...

James

1. Simone Smith profile image86
      Simone Smithposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Hey James!
      Yeah, we actually do that already- the timestamp thing.  Though of course, as you point out, it always gets more complicated than that.

5. Mutiny92 profile image66

yikes - three HP staffers replied...I'm not sure if I should be flattered, or if I am screwed...

;-)

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)